• Hey folks, we've recently updated the forum software and are in the middle of getting everything back in place. I hope to have everything back online soon!

Geraldo

Lurker extraordinaire
Current Location
New Orleans, LA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Anyone ever had a BOB yak or a BOB Ibex before? I'm going to be bike touring with my bae and my 10-lbs ball of fluff that someone decided is a dog.

I've found a couple used ones on Craigslist for a decent price. I really want the Ibex instead of the Yak because, at 10-lbs, he's very easy to launch. So the shocks would really help ease my fear about him falling off.

Actually, anyone here ever bike tour with a pup in general?

OP
OP
Geraldo

Geraldo

Lurker extraordinaire
Current Location
New Orleans, LA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Also to add, looks like someone did it before. But that's also a bigger dog than mine.

bikes001.jpg

Matt Derrick

StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I can't comment on touring with a dog but everyone that's mentioned the Bob trailers has had nothing but good things to say about them.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
There are some interesting ones out there - but as to the travel criteria - how long, distance, hills, busy or quiet roads/trails?
Long = how much stuff you carry
Distance = see above
Hills = how much don't you want ;)

Saw some small dog trailers on 2 wheels (would not do one - for the tippy thing) and people had their stuff in front and back panniers. Cool looking side car doggy "trailer" but I don't know as I would want your little cutie pie out in the open - trail maybe.

I actually not know of any of my long distance friends who have traveled with pets on a trailer - I see some makeshift ones in the city with the dogs with sunglasses on riding either in a milk crate strapped to front of bike or a rehabbed child trailer/cart in the back of the bike. Some looked quite heavy to pull.

I thought this interesting - could probably put stuff in or on top of trailer - plus add front panniers - but both front/back panniers packed out lightly. Ohh the ideas --- and it sounds like fun!!

68b0a5ef1be37581c2aa382851de3763.jpg

Sole Survivor

War... War never ends
StP Supporter
Current Location
9 Wigan Rd, Bayswater VIC 3153, Australia
Reactions
92% 4% 4%
I have no experience with these trailer do hickey things. But i suggest making sure to double check for any cracks in the frame expecially any welded joints.

Current Location
Eureka, California
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I’ve never pulled a trailer, but hear they’re not much fun pulling up steep hills.

Current Location
Corona, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I have a Bob, Burley Cargo, Burley Bee and Burley two kid. I recommend a child trailer for the stability it will give your dog. The Bob's are tippy for animals leading to freakouts for both you and the dog.

Donate to StP!

Hey folks, the donation widget is temporarily broken, so if you'd like to donate to help keep StP going with the paypal link below, I would sure appreciate it! There's a lot of new features I'm looking forward to bringing to the site (but unfortunately they cost money).

https://www.paypal.me/MatthewDerrick

Latest Status Updates

Who is in Olympia? Bored af.
pretty much spent the day filling out job applications and sobbing because no one will hire me and i've been at a literal stall in my life for the past 3-4 years.
who are you?? Gene Autry, or something???
You either color inside the lines or you don't...or you're like me and make your own damn picture!