Bob Guitar Whitey Symmonds

Current Location
Steubenville, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
The Black Butte Center for Railroad Culture is reporting on its blog that Guitar Whitey Symmonds died July 3rd.
WWW.bbcrc.org/news.shtml He was a regular at the BBCRC in recent years in time for Dunsmuir Railroad Days.
I had the great honor to meet him there last year.

Bob is featured in the documentary Riding The Rails, about young riders in the great depression. He started riding in 1938 at age 16, after seeing a Disney/railroad collaberation called "Wild Boys of The Rails" which was supposed to DISCOURAGE freight hopping. He continued to hop trains of and on into the 1990s, and more recently road Amtrak by himself. He was 97.

Similar threads

Latest Status Updates

Matt Derrick wrote on rosey's profile.
nice shades! :D
smokin some weed n the desert, resting off this cold. hear some mooing in the distance, does anyone kno if cows like bowling out with travel kids? Thanks
On our way to WWOOF, will be going in and out of the grid, will check in again soon
dumpsternavel wrote on Depresso's profile.
You in philly??
It's so funny seeing people all dressed up for court and I'm just here in my ripped up jean shorts and dirty t-shirt
Anything can happen couchsurfing. Including getting sick or injured.
Started working @ humane society today. Love taking care of critters. Hope they let me stay after running mandatory credit check. Wtf.
Looks like I should be hitting the road after the first of September. Will be nice to take time for myself finally.
yet another great sunrise at coney island in brooklyn, ny!