black powder revolver?

feral wanderer

Wayfarer
Current Location
Pullman,WA
I just found out black powder revolvers - real old replica six shot ones with lead balls not bullets - can be mail ordered. Mostly I just want one cause it's so fucking awesome but is it a bad idea to carry a gun like this on the road?

Dmac

Hobo
Current Location
outside omaha
I own several, they are fun to shoot, but kind of a pain in the ass to keep clean. And cops will still fuck with you, so I wouldn’t carry one with me.

Reactions: BirdDaddy

Chazten

Rambler
Current Location
Daytona
Get your concealed license, some states have reciprocity in 30+ other states, and when your in a non reciprocal state just take the clip and ammo out and leave it in your pack or open carry if you have the balls. Actual compact semi auto pistols can be bought for 100$ all day, would be much more effective and accurate than lead balls and gunpowder

Current Location
Cincinnati ,OH
Unnecessary on the road (imo), your wits and instinct will get you farther. Especially compared to the cop aspect.

Never had a need for that. Unless you're on the hunting aspect, but even still...seems more of a hassle than anything.

Sounds like a sweet gun tho. I thoroughly enjoy firearms grew up with them forever

Juan Derlust

Vagabond
Current Location
Limbo
Seems impractical for your stated purpose, keepin yer powder dry & all - perhaps a must-have accessory for a militant dilettante or memorabilia collector

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
They are fun. Practical they are not. Alot of practice is required to pack your shots even everytime. Keeping a ball and powder loaded brings even more risk. If it becomes unpacked and the ball loosens and you try to fire it it makes a good bomb not gun. Then you need powder balls wads cleaning kit with rod you will need a dealer to unjam the fucker too... not practical.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Jambo Organizer
Current Location
Colorado Springs, CO. I think.
Website
www.youtube.com
close range hunting and self defense probably, that's part of why I'm asking, how useful/practical are guns on the road or on the rails?
If you're doing some (long-ish-term?) camping in the woods, I would recommend trying to get your hands on one of these:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

It has excellent reviews, and my favorite part is that it easily breaks completely down and stores inside it's own stock, which also floats.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

whfiv

Lurker
Current Location
One of my favorite YouTube channels:
May answer some of your questions or give you more ideas.

Jackthereaper

Rambler
StP Supporter
Current Location
Earth
If you do decide to use a bp pistol, check out the howdah pistol. Def my fav bp firearm, not that i can hit anything with it

Reactions: whfiv