black powder revolver? (1 Viewer)

Current Location
Pullman,WA
I just found out black powder revolvers - real old replica six shot ones with lead balls not bullets - can be mail ordered. Mostly I just want one cause it's so fucking awesome but is it a bad idea to carry a gun like this on the road?

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
I own several, they are fun to shoot, but kind of a pain in the ass to keep clean. And cops will still fuck with you, so I wouldn’t carry one with me.

Chazten

Current Location
Daytona
Get your concealed license, some states have reciprocity in 30+ other states, and when your in a non reciprocal state just take the clip and ammo out and leave it in your pack or open carry if you have the balls. Actual compact semi auto pistols can be bought for 100$ all day, would be much more effective and accurate than lead balls and gunpowder

Current Location
Cincinnati ,OH
Unnecessary on the road (imo), your wits and instinct will get you farther. Especially compared to the cop aspect.

Never had a need for that. Unless you're on the hunting aspect, but even still...seems more of a hassle than anything.

Sounds like a sweet gun tho. I thoroughly enjoy firearms grew up with them forever

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
@large
Seems impractical for your stated purpose, keepin yer powder dry & all - perhaps a must-have accessory for a militant dilettante or memorabilia collector

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
They are fun. Practical they are not. Alot of practice is required to pack your shots even everytime. Keeping a ball and powder loaded brings even more risk. If it becomes unpacked and the ball loosens and you try to fire it it makes a good bomb not gun. Then you need powder balls wads cleaning kit with rod you will need a dealer to unjam the fucker too... not practical.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Travel Mentor
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
close range hunting and self defense probably, that's part of why I'm asking, how useful/practical are guns on the road or on the rails?
If you're doing some (long-ish-term?) camping in the woods, I would recommend trying to get your hands on one of these:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

It has excellent reviews, and my favorite part is that it easily breaks completely down and stores inside it's own stock, which also floats.

whfiv

Lurker
Current Location
One of my favorite YouTube channels:
May answer some of your questions or give you more ideas.

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
If you do decide to use a bp pistol, check out the howdah pistol. Def my fav bp firearm, not that i can hit anything with it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Preacher wrote on Wolfs Paw's profile.
::drinkingbuddy::
Im securing a squat tonight that should be a good long term squat. Also im playing a show tonight.
Just go to Barcelona and got lost on my way to my hostel. I walked into a corner store and asked for directions, and a guy who didn’t speak any English or know anything about me pointed to where i need to go and gave me a sticker that said “Everyone hates the police!”. I’m definitely in the right place😄!
Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!

Members online