black mesa: herd sheep for the navajo resistance!

maus

Reaction score
this is actually where im on my way to... i did it in nov/dec too. basically, black mesa is this place on the navajo rez in northeastern arizona where the government is trying to expel all the navajos so that it can be destroyed by coal mining. so, there is a group based in flagstaff called black mesa indigenous support which coordinates volunteers to go stay with traditional families and elders who are resisting eviction, to help with chores like sheepherding, hauling firewood, etc. its a really beautiful landscape, some of the nicest people ive ever met. my family fed as well as housed me although i doubt if theyre all capable of that. anyway its a really worthy cause/struggle and they really need the help so i thought i'd let yall adventurous souls know about it and suggest you check out blackmesais.org for more info!

M

Monkeywrench

I live/work alongside with a community similar to this fighting mountain top removal in West Virginia. I get told about Black Mesa a lot, and would love to come check it out.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Maus,is there anyone you could say to contact in specific about this?Worked herding before,long ago,and as long as it's not doing lambing,could probably help.Also know how to use a rifle safely,and sometomes you do need one in the back of beyond working with animals taht are viewed as meals for the taking by about all carnivours.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
i tried to hook up with this last winter, the white peep organizers (owen)were away for the winter and didnt want to hook me up with some rez cats unless i'd be there for at least 2 months and i could only guarantee them a month. so i'm sure this is a great thing but keep in mind its a little scattered since there was nobody in town for the winter. and they had no phones either. actually much later i think this chick berkely gave me call to hook me up with someone up there but i was long gone by then

M

Monkeywrench

I can definitely guarantee 2 months. Anyone know if I can just make my way out there? Or is there a process for getting involved? How are the winters there? PM me.

boston joe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i was at a black mesa north of espanol, n.m. , i don't know if this the same one. this one had 6000 known petrglyphs, was very interesting.

barnaclebones

Reaction score
anyone wanting to know more about the conflict, there's a film called Broken Rainbow that covers the issue from the original relocation project in the 70's to the mid '80s. it's an older film, but REALLY informative and if it doesnt show you how important your help is, i dunno what will. I know some people who just went down there in November, so I could probably get some contact info for ya'll.

I was about to go down, but a friend of mine in bmore left this world suddenly in his sleep... and i had to go be with the community, so i missed the boat. GO!!! My view on travlin is... why not go where youre needed? if you're livin on the wind, that's the best kind of gust to catch. one that'll take you to a purpose, and all of you badasses that travel and live down and dirty are the kinds of people with spirits tough enough to handle the fucked up shit that they're up against.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads