Biking, East Coast, Maybe More, Idk, idk idk we'll see. | Squat the Planet

Biking, East Coast, Maybe More, Idk, idk idk we'll see.

Dillinger

Reaction score
How do you kids get away with biking around the states?
I have no idea where to start and stop.

I'd like to whore out the Appalachian trail for a bit and get off and keep on going.

But how could I find exactly WHERE to bike. say from Penn. to SD?
Bah.
thanks everyone.
-Dillinger

Dillinger

Reaction score
so if anyone has anything to say on this subject it'd be kinda nice. absolutely anything would be extremely helpful, I'm not too fond of winging it but i mean, eh.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i imagine just stickin to the two lane backroads would be the safest and most interesting way to do it..... idunno...grab a road atlas and start drawin a line fom pt. A to pt. B .....it seems to be the case with all forms of travel that you can only plan so much....and alot of the time what gets planned ends up goin out the window anyway.....not much help huh?...ok how bout this.....JUMP THE FUCK UP ON THAT BIKE AND GIT TO PEDDLIN'

Dillinger

Reaction score
bryanpaul said:
...ok how bout this.....JUMP THE FUCK UP ON THAT BIKE AND GIT TO PEDDLIN'

yeah that seems to be what'll happen.
which i dont have much problem with at all.
here in va highway biking/thumbin is illegal so im under the impression that that stretches all throughout the states.
oh shit, this is gonna be some fun shit. hahaha
thanks for the post man.

I

IBRRHOBO

there r maps on it ... trans american bike route. up here most of our US highways --- 11E 11W 321 421 are designated bike routes. i'll post a couple pix later as i did it with a schwinn and a baby carriage for a bike. avoid West Virginia. EVERY FUCKING THING is a hill! and the coal trux will kill u!

D

dirty_feet

http://www.adventurecycling.org/

Here you go dude. Maps, Maps, Maps. As far as the Appalachian Trail goes - I just finished a hike from Georgia to New Hampshire so if you have any specific questions about the trail - I'd love to answer them for you. Also - in Damascus, VA (you're from VA - me too! I'm from Winchester) there is a hiker/biker hostel that goes right along the VA Creeper trail, a former railroad bed. It's beautiful. Lots of places to swim, lots of places to camp, LOTS of trestles to swim under and camp around. Anyway - the hostel is called The Place and it's free for hikers and bikers. When I stayed there I met maybe ten or 15 people all taking long distance bike trips - it was really neat meeting them and comparing parallels in traveling.

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

Bike maps are really expensive, so what I've always done is google map where I'm at and where I'm going, then zoom in really close and write down directions taking the small roads and highways that lead there. It's meticulous, but it's the best way to bike tour. PA has designated bike touring routes that I've taken, and they SUCK! There is no where to camp but hunting grounds. Your better off just planning your own course on google.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads