1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Bikes on unused rails

Discussion in 'Bike Touring' started by Spider Tempura, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +123 / -2
    2 bikes, one on each rail, framework in between for gear and supplies. One bike with an outrigger..

Has anyone thought about this? Has anyone tried this?

Does anyone want to DO this?

• Like Like x 2
    • Epic Epic x 1
  2. Will Wood

Will Wood Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    caregiving, gas pumping, delivery driving,,
    Address:
    Portland, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +100 / -2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. salxtina

salxtina Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +212 / -5
    I WORK FOR NO MAN
    I HAVE NO NAME

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Zaphod

Zaphod One of the Regulars

Achievements:
    Address:
    Cincinnati, OH, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +80 / -24
    This proves you'd better be blind if you wanna do something like this right

5. OP
    OP
    Spider Tempura

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +123 / -2
    Didnt ask anyone to work for me, nor have i ever asked your name. This thread is an inquiry into whether or not anyone wants to ride converted bicycles on rails. I will just assume that you dont like rails or bikes since you typed no twice.

Too pricey for me, my build is going to be a bicycle converted with reclaimed / dumpstered materials, budget roughly 100 dollars. That being said the front wheel im going to sandcast is similar to what they have, just a bit smaller and lighter.

Attached Files:

6. Will Wood

Will Wood Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    caregiving, gas pumping, delivery driving,,
    Address:
    Portland, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +100 / -2
    Looks cool. Good luck

7. Zaphod

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +80 / -24
    Dude, they're making a joke by quoting from O Brother Where Art Thou? (the person who says the line rides on a handcar), no one is trying to be a dick to you. I think this plan is rad

Also, you might need a specialized front fork if you're gonna try and make a bike like in the picture; that wheel looks WAY wider than any fork I've seen would accommodate. Just something to keep in mind

8. OP
    OP
    Spider Tempura

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +123 / -2
    Thanks for the claify, never saw the movie. Im pretty savvy with forks n bikes in general, ive done a tall bike and a few frankenbikes. My current design involves adding a track roller to the front wheel and a roller to the rear and roller on the outrigger. The rubber wheels will just be used to drive. The main thing is i want to be able to disassemble and put the bike or bikes back to "normal" for road use and takedown the outrigger pieces or bike connectors to pack. Theres a bunch of scrap available so melting and casting the rollers shouldnt be an issue. One problem i forsee is whether or not the emt conduit will suffice for framework, i may have to use scrap alum extrusions or even steel, havent crushed any numbers on it yet to see conduit will be strong enough. Im not entirely opposed to cutting up trashed bikes and welding shit together either. Garbage hounds like myself have to make do with what we find, this could radically alter the finished contraption.

Ill try to add pics and drawings of progress, hopefully this project will be done by spring.

http://blog.sfgate.com/bicycle/2014/09/09/alan-selfridge-and-his-1986-railbike/

This is probably a better example and closer to what i envision, its also my original inspiration.

#8 Spider Tempura, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. Zaphod

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +80 / -24
    NP, you should check it out sometime if you're ever housed up and looking for a movie to watch. It's definitely one of my favorite flicks.

Sounds like you know a lot about building bikes, I'm excited to see this project unfold. Will you be traveling with all that stuff (when it's finished I mean) or is it more of something to mess around with while you're in one spot?