Bikepunk All-stars kidnapped?

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sappear-trip-Peru-area-kidnapping-threat.html

American couple disappear during Peru trip in area where criminal gang threatened to kidnap tourists

• Jamie Neal, 27, and her boyfriend 25-year-old Garrett Hand, from San Francisco, last seen getting into a cab in Lima on January 26
  • The couple had been regularly updating family with pictures on Facebook but have not posted for four weeks
  • U.S. Embassy issued alert for travelers over threat of kidnapping in Cusco and Machu Picchu area this month
By Louise Boyle
PUBLISHED: 17:17 EST, 24 February 2013 | UPDATED: 17:30 EST, 24 February 2013

An American couple have disappeared in Peru in an area where a criminal gang were believed to have been plotting to kidnap tourists, authorities said today.
Jamie Neal, 27, and her boyfriend 25-year-old Garrett Hand, have been missing since January during a biking vacation in Peru.
The U.S. State Department today issued a poster of the couple from San Francisco - who were last seen getting on a bus in the town of Cusco, headed for Lima on January 26 before getting in a cab.

article-2283892-18409722000005DC-437_634x547.jpg

Missing: Jamie Neal (right), 27, and her boyfriend Garrett Hand, 25, have been missing since January 26 in Peru when they got off a bus from Cusco in Lima

article-2283892-18409708000005DC-127_634x440.jpg

In love: The couple posted many pictures of their trip on Facebook to being with but haven't since January
They have not posted any pictures of their trip on Facebook in more than four weeks and Mr Hand's cellphone has gone unanswered.
Up until then, the couple had been regularly updating friends and family with news of their adventurous travels.

More...

The couple are biking enthusiasts who both work in cycle stores in the Bay Area of San Francisco.
They had customized their bikes especially for the trip which began in December. They had also traveled to Chile and Argentina before deciding to go to the Amazon instead of Machu Picchu in Peru.
Friends told KTVU that they had hoped the couple simply had mechanical issues with their bikes but after they were spotted in the Peruvian capital, it seemed unlikely.

article-2283892-18409712000005DC-564_634x356.jpg

Trip of a lifetime: The couple, who both work in cycle shops in the Bay area of San Francisco, were last seen in Peru on January 26

article-2283892-1840973A000005DC-303_634x447.jpg

Adventure: The young couple (pictured on the left) went missing in Peru around a month ago in a region which was under threat of kidnappings

The U.S. Embassy in Peru along with local police are now looking clues as to what happened to the couple.
The U.S. Embassy's website posted a warning for travelers about a kidnapping threat in the region on February 13.
Authorities said that American citizens should be aware of the threat from a criminal gang in the Cusco and Machu Picchu regions through the month of February.
The U.S. Embassy has severely limited travel for officials at this time and has warned travelers to be on high alert.
The families of both Mr Hand and Miss Neal have created a Facebook page which they want to be widely shared among travelers in Peru in the hope of finding out their loved ones.
Garrett Hand is 25 years old, has blonde hair, green eyes and is 6ft tall. Miss Neal, 27, has brown, curly hair, blue eyes and is 5'5.
article-2283892-1840972E000005DC-195_634x771.jpg

Desperate search: The U.S. Embassy is now looking for the young couple from San Francisco

article-2283892-1840B8C6000005DC-867_634x286.jpg

On the lookout: The families of the missing young couple have launched a Facebook page that they want to be shared among travelers in Peru after the couple were last seen in Lima (pictured)

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
Garrett, aka, Ready Freddy is a good friend of mine, a radical genius, a member of this forum, and a rare breed of genuine badass. Pray to the hobo spirits on this one. If anyone knows anyone in the area, please forward this post.

Reactions: Everymanalion
K

kokomojoe

Hopefully they're ok but I'm afraid everymanalion is more than likely correct. It's one reason why I'd be sketched to travel anywhere south of the border. Regardless, keep positive and hope for the best.

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Sucks but once I was tricked into getting a ride from Guatemala to Mexico all I had to do was drive the truck cause the guy was "tired", I have no proof and have no idea for certain but he insinuated their were drugs in the back and so I just drove, shut my mouth and got out when I could. Scary shit.

Everymanalion

Reaction score
The only positive thing about being fucked with by Narcos/rebels in South America rather than Central/Mexico is South has more a reputation of asking for ransoms and if they get the ransom they actually majority of the time release the person, now if this was Mexico, there would have been a bullet in their heads that first night after the Narcos got their family info, lied to the family they were still alive, told to wire 1023130981023988923 pesos and then never heard from again. Scary shit, and these are the locals lives down there:/

But if they wanted ransom money someone woulda been contacted by now:/ Can only hope for the best and at least, IF they are dead, they passed doing something they loved. I would rather die on the road doing my passion than in my home town driving to get milk or something.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
shit, has anything positive come out of the news about this?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads