Bike tourist | Squat the Planet

Bike tourist

Laekkai

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site, been lurking here for awhile. My experience with traveling is limited to self-supported, budget bike touring but I've always had a plan and a place to go home to, with stability and a chance to make an income on the other side. However, I want to travel North America for an extended period of time with little to no savings (aside from an emergency fund) and try to sustain myself any way I can be it fishing, dumpster diving, gathering, panhandling, or performing odd jobs.

The thing I love about bike touring is it's definitely a cheap way to travel. I almost never pay for camping since stealth camping is easy enough, and there's also great resources such as Warm Showers and Couch Surfing. The possibilities are endless, and there's so much I want to see and do in America that I just can't see myself doing anything else other than living on the road for the next 1-2 years.

I currently live in Portland, Oregon, where I've got a steady income which I am saving some, and using the rest to finalize my setup. Since I've been an avid bike tourist and commuter, I've already got a pretty decent bike (Surly Disc Trucker), Ortlieb Panniers (front and rear) dynamo hub, lights, tent, stove, tools, sleeping back, etc.

I'm not really sure exactly what I'm looking for at the moment. Ideally, it would be nice to find someone who has had similar experience with bike touring for free or earning money on the road, traveling either solo, or duo to share information with. I'd really like to meet someone who is already doing this or very interested in doing this and has similar experience and gear and would like to partner up and make a go at living on the road indefinitely.

When it comes to route selection, I feel more inclined to travel from place to place and make decisions on the fly. A lot of variables will probably affect my decision such as weather, work availability, and points of interest.

First and foremost, I want to be free. I'm tired of modern life, responsibility, bills, work, etc. I find the most happiness on my bike, on the road, exploring. Secondly, I want to see some cool shit. There's so much to see and do here in North America, I'm tired of only getting to have adventure for two weeks at a time. Third, meet new people. I always enjoy meeting people on the road.

So yeah, I think this post is starting to become kind of unfocused but you get the gist.

TLDR: I'm new here, I love bike touring, want to live on the road for extended period of time with little money, looking for people to share experiences or even link up.

Reactions: el norte

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Hi Lanka, welcome! I'm feeling the urge to travel extensively myself. I aim to travel visually dirt poor as well: * most of what I'm saving will go to gas for the first but if my trip as I visit friends and family before REALLY doing it.

I plan on ditching the car when I either run out of gas money or it dies in me, then relying on my own two feet. But... a bike sounds cool too! Maybe we'll meet up at some point.

Anyway. welcome!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool and heady way to travel. I do long distance but in planned trips and then I'm back. Bad me has not been out on the road for a bit. Summer planning for sure. The warm showers was new for me - very cool. I know here in NY, etc - Erie canal has some different spots (mostly set up for the boats that vacation through the canal) that have free shower areas set up and I've used them before. Welcome aboard!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Nice plan. I like it.
That Surly is bad ass by the way.
Welcome to STP and thanks for sharing your travels.
Look forward to pics. :D

el norte

Reaction score
Hello, Laekkai, and welcome to the boards!

Like you, I am new here, and I also am a big pedal bike enthusiast. I would love to go on an extended, semi-permanent trip/ride, and I plan to within a year or two (first, I am looking to do a couple other things).
Are you already familiar with basic bike repairs? If not, I think there's a document available for download on the site here, and you can always ask me, although I am still learning myself.
Ahhh, man, I envy you. You're hitting the road on the bike for the long-haul sooner than I am.

I wish you the best of luck, and I look forward to hearing more of your travels. Safe riding, bro.

Laekkai

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the compliment on the Bike, Odin. It's not exactly everything I want to do with it, but it's pretty damn close. I've definitely spent more money on that bike and equipment than anything else I've ever owned. Will definitely start a blog and write/photograph my experiences along the way and try to give some tips for good places to find work that may be more outside of the already discussed travel routes.

El Norte, yes, I consider myself to be a decent bike mechanic. I have spent enough time working on my own bikes, hanging out with other bikey people and loitering at bike shops. I have some decent bike tools, and for more major repairs (bottom bracket, hubs, etc.) I would try my best to buy used from a bike shop while on the road or find a co-op or bikey people in the area who may have the tools/parts to save lots of money. Ideally, if everything is serviced and like new before I head out, I shouldn't need too many major repairs for awhile (in theory).

Lielandthris, when are you planning on taking off? Where are you currently at? Maybe we could meet up on the road and ride together for some time, or at least cross paths.

Tude, That's the second time I've heard good things about the Eerie Canal trail. A friend of mine here in Portland has told me some good stories about riding it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads