Bicycle tour across USA.

jojoofu

Reaction score
I'm kicking off my first extreme long distance bicycle tour tomorrow. I wanted to go earlier this year but I had some set backs. My goal is to go from east coast to west coast but that is subject to change. As of now the route is made up on a day to day basis. I'll be keeping you guys updated with pics and stories as I go. If you want to follow along I made some profiles on social media. These profiles are barren at the moment because I'm just starting. I also suck at story telling so don't mind my sloppy writing lol.

website

http://bicycleguy.weebly.com/

video

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZj3d8nBWpBiySul_WMVnww

Pictures and what not

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thebicycletour

This my first update. I start north Jacksonville and rode about 25 miles through Callahan into no mans land. I ended by US 301 and where they overlap the railway just south of the Georgia border. I really wanted to make it to Georgia day one but my legs are too tired. I'm also literally butt hurt because this bicycle seat feels like it's made of concrete.

My original plan of taking the back road to St. George has been scrapped. Google doesn't indicate dirt roads as far I know. My original path was about 8 miles of dirt road which is impassible with 50 pounds of gear on a bicycle. However I did discover US 301 has bicycle lanes going all the way into Georgia. It looks like 301 is my new route.

I'm probably going to camp for another day or two to heal up my legs before moving on. Hopefully sometime next week I'll a new update.

Heading out !

Mq6GtgU.jpg

First stop US 301 south of Georgia.

SkS7mQ3.jpg

Last edited:

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
cool idea. I been throwing around some ideas and designs for a solar bike to go long distance with. Totally doable if they'd let me be 6ft wide and 15ft long. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Pedal to the Metal

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Enjoy and be safe. Not sure if I talked about this with you but great idea to google, for your daily path, a list of available bicycle shops (repairs and parts - and possibly use their tools that you are not carrying) and also bicycle clubs as they can be a help too.
I want to do this someday but it will most likely be with a group - but when my brother did it - one thing he did look up too - besides churches/agencies that feed but also spaghetti socials etc that are usually at churches. He also had awesome luck too by asking people if he could camp in their yard - and sometimes was invited into the house for dinner. People also stopped and invited him (he wasn't hauling a trailer - but rather 4 panniers - looked total long distance) to their place, etc.

Again - have fun and be safe. Weather hit hard this for upper eastern US. (not sure where you are taking off from - ?). If you want can you put your website addy in your profile so it appears so we can catch up on your travels? :)

Aleus

Reaction score
Congrats on taking that first big step! I would highly suggest making panniers or some way to properly load your gear. The way it's all tied on now will only add to your fatigue. Create a front rack to evenly distribute your weight and get bags or some way to compress your bedding. Those square kitty litter bins with the lid make great water proof panniers with little work.
Have fun, be safe and keep us updated on the way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads