Photos Beware of seagulls!

QU1DAM

Reaction score
We were just driving north on 101 in so. Oregon when I saw a seagull in the road. It begun to fly up and away and it seemed like it was going to get out of the way. But it started coming straight at our windshield fortunately it didn’t break all the way through but there’s a dusting of tiny glass pieces inside by the front seats, on the dash...
3008946D-5EB0-440D-AC82-C4AF6231EC40.jpeg

This seagull got a Darwin Award today...it happened on a one lane Highway there was no way to avoid it really unless I could shrink the van like that double decker bus from Harry Potter...

Guessing best price nearby would be Eugene since Brookings is on the coast which always elevated prices for tourists... and Eugene isn’t smoky like Grants Pants

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
I have to wonder, if you do get stopped on the way to the repair, how likely is it that you could explain the situation to Mr. Officer and avoid said ticket?

As a recipient of many fix it tickets over the years - this depends on several factors. Foremost of which is Vehicle - insured?! drivers properly licensed? No other things that obviously need fixing (like broken/tapped tail light) .... Second thing - Politeness/preparedness of driver. Sobriety! Pleases, thank yous, paperwork ready in hand - also - EXTREMELY helpful if you have "evidence" you've researched your repair, notes on scrap yards, phone numbers and quotes for repair from like speedy auto glass, or wherever. Even if these are just jotted down on scraps of paper it SHOWS a will to get the repair done.

Those will very often have dick-cop be officer-friendly instead.

Also not getting caught driving, multiple times by the same cop, also really helps.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Depending on the cop/state - This level of windshield damage is also quite a bit more than a fix it ticket. That's not A chip or A crack - that's straight shattered and is often considered undriveable requiring a tow to be moved anywhere. All sorts of crap tickets come from that - if cops choose to be dicks... But everyone can clearly see THAT shattered of a front window does obviously impair the drivers ability to see the road, thus the safety of all. So, it's kinda a toss up if the cop is being a dick or actually doing the protect and serve thing.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Oh wow. I thought Windshields were laminated so they couldn't fragment like that...

Hope everyone is okay and recovers. Same goes for your car.

On the subject of seagulls

Windshields do indeed shatter like that - but you are also correct, they are indeed laminated - Aka, safety glass, as well. The lamination isn't to prevent shattering from occurring, it' IS to hold the shards together and in the frame. That way most injuries aren't things like, losing an eye, having neck stabbed/sliced, or faces all carved up, and various other injuries that used to occur. Now for the most part, injuries by windshield, are small cuts, typically not even requiring stitches, or impact injuries/whiplash.

Forest Fairies didn't both get face/mouths full of glass - courtesy of seagull, who would have also been in the van at that point - because of the very lamination you mentioned. It kept the windshield from going Everywhere & prevented the seagull from smashing THROUGH and being in the front (going crazy) with the drivers. Moral, lamination IS there & it saved the day.

To Forest Fairies, I hope you guys have found a cheap fix & are already back on the road... Barring that, I wish you No Tickets!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads