Best/Worst Seasonal Gigs? (1 Viewer)

Tengu91

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Tusayan, AZ
My first experience really traveling was going to Alaska last summer after leaving a factory gig in Ohio. I worked in the Denali State Park for the Holland-America Princess Cruise Lines at a wilderness lodge in the middle of nowhere. I absolutely LOVED it! The pay was good and even after spending a significant amount of each paycheck on craft beer and weed I still had enough saved up to tide me over for about 5 weeks AND pay for a ticket to my next destination, Colorado. I loved working in Alaska and I loved the company; everyone from the guests to the staff to the management was incredible (I worked in two different positions while there; as a luggage handling lead and then as a guest services agent. The general manager himself once came out to help us deliver luggage on a particularly busy day, and when shit got hairy at the front desk he would jump in to help book excursions and guest questions with the rest of us). Colorado on the other hand turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. I worked at a ski resort called Copper Mountain near the town of Frisco, and it was ate-up from the floor-up. Management was incompetent, guests were rude, and they charged more for rent than Alaska only unlike the great north, meals were not included. Most of us resorted to second jobs (though I DID manage to hone my dumpster diving at the local whole foods. Pre-cooked quinoa & Spanish corn salad still in the plastic container was a common find; once I managed to score a case of green tea in a can). Some of my coworkers there were amazing, but others sucked ass but were met with zero repercussions. The BEST benefit of that place was the fact that since management didn't care enough to audit anything I was able to hook up all my friends with free lift-tickets or rentals at the guest services desk, and those who worked elsewhere on the resort were able to hook me up with some pretty gnarly perks as well (god bless my bartender room mate) All-in-all though, Copper Mountain turned out to be a MASSIVE letdown and it's left a bad taste in my mouth for Colorado as a whole (I know it's not fair to judge an entire state on one place, but I hope you'll forgive me for being human). I'm currently sitting in a Greyhound and heading to the Grand Canyon to work for a hotel in the south rim as a busser and a bar-back for a bit before I head to either Alaska again or down to Mexico for a few months. The main point of my post is this: Where are some of the best seasonal or temporary jobs you've worked, and where would you recommend people stay away from? And why?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I've only worked one of those national parks jobs and it was at yellowstone. I feel like i really lucked out since the job was easy, and my boss was awesome. I was working for deleware north companies which is one of the biggest companies for doing consessions/souvenier crap in national parks. i've heard a lot of horror stories from people working at zanterra, seems they pay a lot less and their amenities aren't nearly as good.

my experience may not be typical, since @MolotovMocktail went and did yellowstone as well but didn't have nearly as much fun as i did (i think, correct me if im wrong MM). anyways, seems like coolworks and backdoorjobs are the places to go for those kinds of things.

i almost took the job in the grand canyon, but went for yellowstone... i'd be curious to hear what your experience there ends up being like in case i want to apply over there in the future.

OP
Tengu91

Tengu91

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Tusayan, AZ
@Matt Derrick I turned down a gig with Xanterra for the exact reasons you listed. I've heard a lot of horror stories coming out of there! I'm going to be working for a Grand Western hotel for a few months instead. Xanterra offered better pay but the lodging sounded pretty craptastic (4 dudes to a room, 2 bunk beds). I'm much more excited to see how the hotel thing pans out. And I actually talked to some people at Delaware North as well before deciding on Arizona, but Yellowstone would take me further from my girlfriend than I am already (she's in northern Mexico). They seemed like nice enough people though; I've never talked to anyone who's actually worked for em though.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I'll add one vote for working for the Park Service. Fuck the concessionaires, the NPS is the way to go. Better pay too.
yeah i met some NPS people while out there and they seemed to have some killer gigs, mostly just driving around make sure people didn't fuck up the park. i'd really like to get a job like that.

Oh, and @Matt Derrick did you hit up those employee pubs in Yellowstone? Talk about a good time....girls literally stripping on the tables....so much fun.
i didn't really frequent any of the bars inside the park, mostly just the ones in the town i was living in while working there (west yellowstone, mt) definitely had a lot of good times at those bars tho.

They seemed like nice enough people though; I've never talked to anyone who's actually worked for em though.
while i had a good experience and finished out the season no problem, i suspect i've been blackballed from DNC for some pretty silly reasons that would be difficult to summarize in a paragraph here. short version is that i got in some pretty big arguments with a couple of coworkers that were saying some super racist shit. second, DNC got all pissy about the fact that I let a friend of mine crash in my school bus for two nights parked outside the apartments they were renting us.

so, while subsidized rent is great, having your employer as your landlord isn't; i would avoid any situations like that if possible.

i sent in some applications the next two summers afterwards and never heard anything, hence my suspicion. anyways, turns out if you ever decide to go out that way, there's hella jobs in that tiny ass town and they all pay waaaay more than DNC, so really you're better off not working for the park at all if possible.

probably not typical of all national parks experiences, so YMMV.

hermitdan69

Lurker
Current Location
US
I spent the last couple summers as a camp host in the Sequoia National Forest. It pays a little above minimum wage, you get a free campsite, and paid mileage. The work was easy, the campgrounds were pretty remote, and there were some awesome hiking trails in the area. I'll be returning this next summer. No cell service or wifi, but I do just fine with books, hiking, and writing to keep me occupied.

Myatezhnik

Lurker
Current Location
Merced, CA
I spent the last couple summers as a camp host in the Sequoia National Forest. It pays a little above minimum wage, you get a free campsite, and paid mileage. The work was easy, the campgrounds were pretty remote, and there were some awesome hiking trails in the area. I'll be returning this next summer. No cell service or wifi, but I do just fine with books, hiking, and writing to keep me occupied.

How exactly does one get on with stuff like this?

Current Location
Amherst Nova Scotia
Right now I'm living in a coastal surfing town, and I wasn't even looking for work when I was offered a job scooping ice cream and selling candy at the local candy store. This candy store is a classic tiny candy store, it's only like 10 feet by 15 feet wide. I was in there buying some fun different candy and got talking to the woman that runs it, and she said she liked my vibe and wondered if I would be interested in working for her. Scooping ice cream and being around candy sounded like a pretty good seasonal gig to me, this is the kind of small town where the candy store closes for the winter. I start tomorrow. And as Homer Simpson says........mmmmmm candy ghghghghghg.

Current Location
Amherst Nova Scotia
Being offered this job was especially funny as I have CANNABIS tattooed across my knuckles in heavy gothic font, and have a few stick and poke tattoos as well, which is not who you expect to see in a classic candy store lol

OP
Tengu91

Tengu91

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Tusayan, AZ
@Billy Cougar White I worked at a candy store part time while I was in Colorado! I'm a pretty clean-cut dude and don't have any tats, but one of my coworkers was tatted from the tips of his fingers to his ear lobes. He was a SUPER nice guy, but seeing all the rich and snooty people come in and see him behind the counter was always pretty funny. He was good with the kids though, and he always made FAT tips!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Just then walking through the stupor market carpark when I saw this 13/14 year old kid saying to his mates ( while making the gestures)" you get the smack in this arm and the ice in this arm it's filth"!!!!!!
The user account self-delete system is back online.
siid wrote on raincheck's profile.
gang goin dummy bitch yiiizzzZzzzzZz love u :👽:

Trains in 2017: 0
2018: 1
2019: 32 and counting
croc wrote on bowldog's profile.
Love ur profile pic. She looks so sultry peeking thru the trees
dumpsternavel wrote on Rhubarb Dwyer's profile.
So clevar
The only good part about the ER is the BE that comes before-hand! :p
forgot how fast people'll throw the first blow in the street
got complacent having only sparred with friends recently.
was socked in the head,
only managed to block the second blow or so
before being knocked to the ground

(to be fair, knocking us off our feet isn't hard when we require a cane or smth to support ourselves most days)
Currently in Louisiana , I'm off the road. Had Hep C an liver cancer. Don't ever forget to be free from the man you have to leave it all behind, each an every time.