Best Things to Pack

Reaction score
Hey, I'm planning on hiking down to the Bay Area from Toledo, Washington. If I can't find a train to hop on (don't know where a trainyard near me is) I'll probably end up hitchhiking or just walking. What should I take with me? I figured I'd just take a backpack with me and stuff it with things, but what am I really going to need with me on the road if I want to be covered for just about anything?

Reactions: Kal
T

Toasty Tramp

My advice is to plan extensively -- Figure out your intentions, and build your pack around it. Trekking through the wilderness and living completely off of wild game and local vegetation is different from hopping truck stop to truck stop, ya know?

If its the difference between you leaving and staying put, pack it. You'll quickly see what you do and don't need on the road after you carry it on your back for a few days :p
With that in mind -- In hindsight (I'm not currently traveling) I really wish I'd have packed bug spray. And shelter.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i'm a big fan of the saying, "collect everything you think you need, then cut that in half". it really forces you to reconsider what you REALLY need and what you don't.

also, if this is your first time out, I'd suggest hitchhiking down the 101 highway. you can take it around the penninsula of washington, which is gorgeous (redwoods) and all the way down the coast to the 1/PCH to Los Angeles if you want. it's stupid easy, fucking gorgeous scenery, and the people that pick you up are generally pretty awesome, and you'll get a plenty of rides. overall, it's an excellent trip for the first timer.

Reaction score
I'm gonna use this next week to cut ties in Toledo and prepare myself for the trek. Highway 101 looks like such a better route than the Pacific Northwest Trail (where I was thinking about going), too. Know if there are there places along the road or maybe by a building I'd be able to set up an old army cot I have and be able to sleep on? Or would a sleeping bag be better?

Kal

Reaction score
I'm gonna use this next week to cut ties in Toledo and prepare myself for the trek. Highway 101 looks like such a better route than the Pacific Northwest Trail (where I was thinking about going), too. Know if there are there places along the road or maybe by a building I'd be able to set up an old army cot I have and be able to sleep on? Or would a sleeping bag be better?
Which is lighter the sleeping bag or the army cot. Try to travel as lightly as possible. And listen to @Milktoast and @Matt Derrick they know what their talking about.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer
T

Toasty Tramp

The army cot won't last a week, I fear. It's bulky and heavy, an picking it up once thinking "Meh, this isn't too bad" is a lot different than finding a place to comfortably pack it and lug it with you fucking everywhere you that go. It'd be awkward to lug it on to public transport, should you decide to spend a few bucks to save yourself from walking across a major city. Where would you put it if a sweet ol' lady in her smartcar decides to stop and pick ya up? :p

Go with a sleeping bag, and if you're feeling adventurous...get one with a bivvy sack and use the bivvy sack as a shelter. Bivvys are waterproof exterior liners to sleeping bags, and you can use em' in an emergency to escape the elements. Just crawl into it and seal the shit off like a burrito :D I slept like a baby with just my old army sleeping bag/bivvy sack in Death Valley at 10 degrees, and south Florida at 80 degrees with a steady tropical downpour :)
If you go that route...DONT FORGET A SLEEPING PAD. Holy shit, I didn't realize the difference until I traveled with @Viking_Adventurer and @kaichulita and got a chance to sleep with some kind of insulation between me and the ground.

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The army cot won't last a week, I fear. It's bulky and heavy, an picking it up once thinking "Meh, this isn't too bad" is a lot different than finding a place to comfortably pack it and lug it with you fucking everywhere you that go. It'd be awkward to lug it on to public transport, should you decide to spend a few bucks to save yourself from walking across a major city. Where would you put it if a sweet ol' lady in her smartcar decides to stop and pick ya up? :p

Go with a sleeping bag, and if you're feeling adventurous...get one with a bivvy sack and use the bivvy sack as a shelter. Bivvys are waterproof exterior liners to sleeping bags, and you can use em' in an emergency to escape the elements. Just crawl into it and seal the shit off like a burrito :D I slept like a baby with just my old army sleeping bag/bivvy sack in Death Valley at 10 degrees, and south Florida at 80 degrees with a steady tropical downpour :)
If you go that route...DONT FORGET A SLEEPING PAD. Holy shit, I didn't realize the difference until I traveled with @Viking_Adventurer and @kaichulita and got a chance to sleep with some kind of insulation between me and the ground.
Padding IS important, even if it's just a few layers of cardboard.

Reactions: Kal
D

Deleted member 2626

Basics are best. My best thing I love is a small stove, save money on food and coffee. A good pad as said, I used to use army pads and walmart pads but bought a thermorest nippled one and cut it down and like it.

YouCantWin

Reaction score
Hey man, One of my favorite pieces of kit are these USMC issue bivy sacks.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...us-gore-tex-bivy-cover-woodland-camo?a=285496

For 44 bucks its a great deal, as they usually run at 100, but look around, you might find a better deal (I got one at a thrift store for 15$!!) If you can get a hammock you can throw this inside for a three season sleep system depending on what kind of sleeping bag you have. Sleep on the ground with cardboard or a pad. They're awesome on trains, great to take the wind off.

A good quality rain jacket is a must as well. There are military issue jackets made of the same gore-tex as the above mentioned bivy bags.

As an over-all travel rule I always pack a few heavy duty contractor size trash bags. You can basically survive anything with these. They can sub for a rain coat, bivy bag, sleeping bag if you pack it full of leaves or pine needles, water container, back pack, rain fly/tarp.

Also, if you're hitching I suggest bring a large sharpie or paint marker for signs.

A compact road atlas is a good thing to have too I suppose.

Safe travels! Hope these tips help!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads