Best State to Register | Squat the Planet

Best State to Register

unrulywaunder

Reaction score
Hey All,

What's the best State (uh, in the Continental US) to register your car?

I just bought a microhouse (Prius); it's registered in NY. I only bought 6 months of insurance cuz I was thinking of registering it in Virginia after my commitments in NY are severed, and I hit the road.

Is Virginia the best place to register a vehicle? Is it true you don't need to purchase Auto Insurance in VA? Are there any other States like that?

-unruly

D

Deleted member 125

in va you technically dont have to have car insurance but you do have to pay the dmv a fee to drive uninsured i dont know how much that is but ide guess its based the same way car insurance is, year/make/model of the car etc etc.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
generaly, just for the sake of the thread, also consider vehicle inspection & emission requirements..
sounds like you car is probably fine, but you don't want to make a decision, get to the dmv & have them hit you for proof of smog or inspection.

a lot of states are smog/inspection free, & some of those states are silly cheap to register.. ND being one..
california will yank your arm behind the counter, chop your fucking arm off & hand half a fucking pinky finger for change..

also, unless you're going to focus on trekking, get a fold up bike or something..
a prius is well made, but they have low clearance & aren't something you want to bounce around in on some of the deeper roads..

anyways.. good luck & have fun on yer voyage..!

junkpolecat99

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid that I bought from a junkyard in Orange County, CA. I only get about 35 mpg but it's a well-made salvage title car that I only paid 2,200 for. A Toyota Prius is better, I agree. They get up to 45-50 MPG. It's the most common car on the road in California.

Reactions: unrulywaunder

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
TN is about 60 bucks to register. No emissions check and your can register anything you want for non-commercial use. You can also consider driving without insurance. I bought (rv) insurance for my bus but other than that I haven't insured a car in my life. Drive the speed limit and pay attention and you'll be fine. Can't get a ticket if your don't get pulled over. As far as I'm concerned if I were to get ticketed for uninsured driving at this point i would still be in the black for all the insurance I haven't paid!

junkpolecat99

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The regular battery was super old and since I replaced it, I've been getting 40-50 MPG and it's running a lot smoother. Just in case anybody else has a hybrid, be sure your battery is tested (not the big battery, the regular one).

Sameer

Reaction score
Arizona is cheap and easy and doesn't require a smog certificate. Also knowing that many people live in their vehicles they will take a PO Box as an address. I am using the personal PO box that I have at the Ehrenberg laundry and General Store for the past three years. Insurance is very cheap in this part of Arizona especially with Geico. If you register for car insurance in a large city or town you're going to pay more. It is better to find a small town and either use a UPS Store mailbox or somewhere similar. You can get registration for 5 years cheap in Arizona.

Reaction score
New Mexico.
I've gotten stuck with an SR-22 from Neva-duh (I hate the state!) a number of years ago, and after loosing a car, suffering a temporary condition in which I couldn't drive I foundout I STILL had the SR-22 on my back! We're talking over five-fuckin' years here, folks! I've known of people who did less time for Murder!
After some searching I foundout that New Mexico is the one state with no SR-22 to sandbag you with!
I hope this helps!

Reactions: claymation
Reaction score
New Mexico has a very long history of Land-Theft and calling it Squatting.
This was done originally to try to drive the Zuni, Tao, Apache, and others from off their land.
The state's very 'Red', but every once and a while you might be able to find something within it's law structure you can use.
Besides, if you can live under-the-radar, and find a (somewhat) clean, fresh water source, why try to live in the city of Albuquerque?

Reactions: claymation

claymation

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the OP was intending to live in the state but was inquiring more about getting his car registered vs becoming an actual resident. I myself would be interested in Nevada but your difficulty would make me rethink my decision. I don't know for sure on the details but NM would require at minimum liability insurance at the time of registration. No smog or Brake&Light as a state requirement.

Reactions: Odin
Reaction score
"...I myself would be interested in Nevada but your difficulty would make me rethink my decision...."
Please: I be dyin' if I be lyin'! Nevada's got the #3 Insurance Rates in the nation, all because of the Stinktown Strip, and the Ferocity of theCity/State gov't towards non-mormons is unbelievable! Carrying a Nevada license was one of the worst mistake I ever made!
"...I don't know for sure on the details but NM would require at minimum liability insurance at the time of registration. No smog or Brake&Light as a state requirement...."
Yes, but that's at least livable, and there's no SR-22 to ruin your life with!
Trust me: it's something you never want to have that's nothing more than the worst form of Legalized Extortion Racketeering there is!

• Useful
Reactions: Odin and claymation

Jerrell

Reaction score
Last I knew, South Dakota was really, really easy to get set up in. As in stay a night in a campground and you can apply to be a resident level of easy.
I looked into it a few years back and that's the state that stands out in my mind of where I'd register if I wasn't registered in Iowa.

• Wow
Reactions: James Maarsten
Reaction score
I have to warn you, please! those winters in the Dakota's are no joke!
Make sure you've Winterized your wheels, and have plenty of Arctic Gear for yourself if you're gonna' try staying there.
Also: if you do end up being on land that belongs to the Rez' be real nice to them, ask politely if you can stay, and if they refuse: pack up and go immediately! Sometimes Lakota/Dakota folks can be real cool about it, other times they can see you as trespassing, and they've had enough of strangers coming to take things!

Last I knew, South Dakota was really, really easy to get set up in. As in stay a night in a campground and you can apply to be a resident level of easy.
I looked into it a few years back and that's the state that stands out in my mind of where I'd register if I wasn't registered in Iowa.

Reactions: Jerrell
Reaction score
Yeah, but here's what's happened:
During the reign of Emperor Bush II, the price of Oil shot-up out in the sky, and that caused Shale-Oil to become a thing. So then word got out that folks could try to work as either a Pipeliner, or a Roughneck, and score $$$.
In retaliation: the Slumlords shot their prices up out in the sky, too!
Can't let the working folk get a leg up EVER when in Real Estate!
Now, and for the past 8 years the price went back down.
So much of the folks you'd expect to be living there have already moved out.
I'd like to take a look again, but I think it's largely gone back to the way it was before.

South Dakota is kind of blown up, but it might be worth looking into.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads