Best places in California to fly a sign? (also Oregon, Idaho, Montana) (1 Viewer)

SnakeOilWilly

Current Location
Sunny California
Hey guys, I'm planning a trip soon and I don't have a lot of $$$ so I plan to be flying a sign along the way. I'm gonna be traveling from Los Angeles up through California then through Oregon to Portland over through Idaho into Montana.

I'd like to know any good places to fly a sign along this general route. Ideally these should be places where the copa will leave me alone and where I can make a decent amount of money in 2-4 hour's time.

To anybody who thinks this will blow these spots up, let's be honest how many people in the next 5 years are gonna see this thread? 100? Maybe. But even if they do get a little more traffic from panhandlers it won't be that bad.

Any advice helps. Thanks guys!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Travel Mentor
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
My advice would be freeway off-ramps in large metropolitan areas, where there's a traffic light for the ramp. Granted, you may or may not get harassed by the cops, but you get A LOT of exposure in (relatively) very little time. Just be sure you're not ON the actual pavement; stand/sit a little off to the side. Yeah, you'll have to get up and run to collect anytime there's a kickdown, but the amount of people that will pass you and potentially kick something down is pretty high, especially in CA.

One word of warning/advice: if a cop tells you to move, just move. Don't argue, don't go back to the same spot an hour later, and definitely don't just ignore them. If you've collected enough cash/kickdowns to be relatively comfortable, simply move on to the next town/city/destination. It's not worth the hassle of going to jail over something so trivial as a good spot to fly.

Corinne

Website
www.incoherentmindz.tumblr.com
well heres my experience flying a sign in socal so far...anaheim was about 20 an hour at most flying a sign at the off ramp. but i made like 10 bucks in 10 minutes flying a sign at the gas station before getting kicked out. in los angeles it was down to about 7 bucks an hour...pretty shitty but theres not a cop in sight.

OP
SnakeOilWilly

SnakeOilWilly

Current Location
Sunny California
I might not end up in Anaheim. Thanks though.

Anything in San Francisco? Which districts are the best/worst?

Thanks.

kidbob

Rambler
Current Location
High rockies colorado
@SnakeOilWilly

Dont underestimate the power of the interwebz
U dont know what the future holds for this site.
U also underestimate the traffic that this site has.just because we dont have a bloomin boom in new users doesnt mean ppl who dont register,dont read the forums.
Ur answers could be recieved in a PM and no worries will be had about "blowin a spot up"
even if u only leave footprints behind,
Someone will surely follow them.

Just sayin

U might skip a rock across a creeks surface and once the ripples cease u think the creek remains unchanged but think about what lies bellow the surface.
A rock.....that previusly wasnt,changing the flow of water forever.all because u wanted to throw a rock.

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
SF ppl get hella territorial about it in general. But the place is so over crowded now, I think a corner is just first come first served.... I found the Financial District to be fruitful but that's just me. North Beach sucked cuz it's a lot of tourists...

I know you did mention LA + areas north.....

HOWEVER, that being said, in San Diego I've seen a lot of luck in the suburban areas: as if everyone wants to take care of their own.

There's a lady with severe scoliosis who flies at Univ & College pretty constant- so it must produce enough.

SF in general is kinda shitty. Once my ex + I were down by Embarcadero 1 + just lazily sitting there when this guy runs up with 8 cans of sardines! Yes, sardines.

"Will this help?!" He asks....

Well anything @ that point would've (two broke tweakers)so we said, "Uh sure" + took the bag....

We ate sardines + mayo sandwiches for a week. Coulda been worse I guess.

Good luck to ya tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally out n about, heading to London, OH
Thanks to otch0z and Sam for kicking back and keeping is sane in the homestead, hope you had a wicked time!
If for some dumb reason you're in bemidji Minnesota, come see me perform at the hard times! Playing folky stuff with an old road dog
nastynaty wrote on Honey Crust's profile.
Please finish your hitch hiking story... Or just tell us youre alive!!
i've been a waterworld nomad so i don't have to walk.
Jax Katz wrote on Cornelius Vango's profile.
Greetings from a Florida forest dweller !
youtube channel

There's a Cadillac parked outside of my squat.... I should've changed the locks earlier..
Little Rock.....again.....

Members online