Best place to go during Covid? | Squat the Planet

Best place to go during Covid?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm. Short time lurker that needs some advice so if this isn't in the right spot I do apologize.I've never really tried the nomadic lifestyle before other than moving around and I was younger. Recently I was really wanting a fresh start and to start moving around a bit more, ButI'm not quite sure the best place to just pick up and go to during this pandemic. More or less I'm taking what cash I have and a backpack full of Essentials and hopping on the Greyhound and going from there. I would like the advice of more seasoned Travelers on where to start over in to go from there.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Troubie

Jerrell

Reaction score
Depends on so many factors. Are you more into urban or rural. Take temps and seasons into account. Etc. Think about variables of what you need and/or want to feel a basic level of comfortable. Dig thru the forums. You'll find some nuggets of wisdom.

superphoenix

Reaction score
Really depends what you're looking for personally. Are you into cities or open nature? What about your mode of transport? What would you like to see and do daily? US is huge and people will have different needs. For me, I like to be on the West Coast or out West, the latter being better rn. Probably Montana or Alaska especially considering the relatively low level of infections.

Reaction score
Really depends what you're looking for personally. Are you into cities or open nature? What about your mode of transport? What would you like to see and do daily? US is huge and people will have different needs. For me, I like to be on the West Coast or out West, the latter being better rn. Probably Montana or Alaska especially considering the relatively low level of infections.
Urbanish enviroment(preferably pop less than 100k) with walking distance to woodland area as to be able to possible make camp if I need to. I would be on foot as I can not drive atm.

Reactions: dubh
Reaction score
Im not sure where you are now but I live in montana and all the towns (even the bigger ones) are small but surrounded by nature/woods that are easily accessible. The cases here have been rising the last few weeks but it is still relatively safe compared to other states. If you go to whitefish you are near Glacier NP, but all around montana theres public land to camp on.

Sameer

Reaction score
Here in Flagstaff, Arizona the forest is pretty good for staying away from The fray. Easy to get supplies as we are about 15 minutes from a Walmart shopping center on the west side of town. The rangers don't appear to be enforcing the 14-day rule as we are in clear view of the dirt road coming into the area and have been in the same campsite since the 9th of June. Peaceful and quiet and a good Verizon signal and also about 28 over the air television channels. Not very many people camping but some in cars and some with just tents. daytime temperatures in the forest around 85° and lots of shade with the ponderosa pine trees... Also it's fun to camp with the cows. Great place if you have a dog like I do... PSX_20200711_073225.jpg
It's a very beautiful day today!

Ozzi

Reaction score
Here in Flagstaff, Arizona the forest is pretty good for staying away from The fray. Easy to get supplies as we are about 15 minutes from a Walmart shopping center on the west side of town. The rangers don't appear to be enforcing the 14-day rule as we are in clear view of the dirt road coming into the area and have been in the same campsite since the 9th of June. Peaceful and quiet and a good Verizon signal and also about 28 over the air television channels. Not very many people camping but some in cars and some with just tents. daytime temperatures in the forest around 85° and lots of shade with the ponderosa pine trees... Also it's fun to camp with the cows. Great place if you have a dog like I do... View attachment 56858
It's a very beautiful day today!

Hey im coming from Florida leaving on 24th no idea when ill arrive but id like ti visit Flagstaff for a few weeks before heading north.

Sameer

Reaction score
Flagstaff...so far no enforcement...same campsite since first of June...Exit 191..A1 Mountain Rd.... head North and quick left... look for Forest Road 518....or just follow side Road to interstate heading west or ask someone...this is the best places..or use freecampsites.com....74 degrees in the forest today. Lots of shade.... ponderosa pines are beautiful..

Ozzi

Reaction score
I was heading to flagstaff and my wife wanted to stop in florida to see her mom and it looks like im leaving Florida by myself. Ill message u when i get close.

Sameer

Reaction score
Beautiful days in the forest and monsoon rains occasionally in me afternoon..
We were wandering to Williams and then Holbrook and then back to Flagstaff... You will like it here!!!

Sameer

Reaction score
Whatever you do and wherever you go...
Be safe!!!!!
Happy Trails to you.......

FoolsErrand

Reaction score
Freecampsites.net.....will find great campsites

Sameer,

Thank you for this website. This is an awesome resource for planning long bicycle trips. This one's definitely getting bookmarked in my phone's browser.

I've looked at Flagstaff as a base of operations for a rubbertramping lifestyle. Is rubbertramping commonly done out there?

Take care,
FE

Sameer

Reaction score
There are many vans in the forest with people enjoying the beautiful ponderosa pines. Also lots of car tent campers. A1 mountain Road is a good place to camp. Also lots of van dwellers in Belmont..for a home base you only have the month of October and then the weather gets very very cold. Camping here is at 7000 ft and usually by the end of October people wander down to 5,000 ft and camp in places like Winslow or even head down the mountain to Sedona or Cottonwood.
The website free campsites.net is indispensable for finding public land. Public land is the best place to squat. I have been in the same campsite for a couple of months and I am 20 minutes from the nearest Walmart. During this pandemic there has been little or no enforcement of the 14-day rule. my dog and I are heading out tomorrow for lower elevation and wish you the best of luck and think you will really enjoy this area. Flagstaff is a cool little college town and I think you will have lots of fun... Peace and happiness to you!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads