best gear to travel with??

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
I need help!!! Come summer Im going to be hopping and I need advice on which pack to get. Keep in mind that I'm hopping traveling possibly hitching if times get bad for the entire summer and all the way into next winter. I need something that can hold alot of shit, but is comfortable. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also which yard should I hop out of Chicago or Milwaukee?

J

Jordi Napalm

Well, it depends on which kind of packs you like, Internal frame or External. Do some research, and figure out what sounds best for you! Make sure the pack has enough room to fit all of your gear in, and remember you'll have to carry food along with that.
I personally love the CF External Frame backpacks, and im sure the US Military has an equivilent to that... Just remember, make sure your pack is a tank, or it'll get ripped to shreds. And check those damn zippers!

U

Umbraperagro

remember not to underestimate the amount of shit you'll find along the way. Id sugest getting rain gear (good for all seasons) that you can fit a bunch of layers under, that way when winter comes along you can just steal or dumpster a bunch of warm layers, way better than torturing yourself on the hot summer highways by packing a shit ton of gear on your back that your not useing......

D

dirty_feet

BAM!! Remember to measure your torso length so you know what SIZE pack to get. It may seem trivial but after carrying a pack for days, days, days, days, days....well - it does make that much of a difference. I would suggest Granite Gear - tough and comfy, really good guys, I worked their booth this past year at Trail Days and they are for real crazy nutbag straight-up gear heads. They make really tough, high quality stuff that's also comfortable. I'm really rough on things so it's my personal gear company of choice.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Just a winter gear quicky......(If you need good gloves and can't find any, get two oven mits)!
It sounds funky, but they can be bought at thrift stores for under a buck usually and keeping your fingers together is better than gloves anyway.
Just a thought instead of buying the mits at army/navy stores for well over $30.00 for a good enough pair! The oven mits work just as well. The only drawback is being able to grip things, but once you are up inside a boxcar or wherever you are, they WILL keep your hands/fingers toasty!

J

Jordi Napalm

Widerstand said:
There is already a gear thread going on the forum. Next time please search before posting.

Widerstand, that is true, but that thread seems to be more for what to pack, and i think this guy is looking more for advice on what KIND of pack. The thread name is pretty misleading though, i do agree with that. Not to undermine you or anything, im just in a jerky mood.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i personally love my alice pack. you can get them in a couple different sizes as well. i use a medium. just big enough to pack my sleeping bag inside, a few t-shirts, food, and other small nesessities. check out a army surplus store. if its not what your looking for, go to walmart.

Rise 609

Reaction score
I got a north face terra 60. It has a nice compartment to put my pack in the bottom of it. It's been holding up for me pretty well and is really comfortable. i carried alice packs for a while but i think they are one of the worst packs to carry weither they have a frame or not. They hold up really well but are super uncomfortable.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
yeah, they suck new, but im the third generation on this pack, so its nice and broken in.

matt

Reaction score
ALICE packs are too heavy and impractical for my liking. Recently I got an REI Lookout after trading in a Kelty Redtail there. Bigger than the Redtail for about the same amount of weight. Plus it still passes as unassumingly student like.

spork.

Reaction score
i decided to spoil myself. i spent 200 bucks on a chrome cargo backpack. two words: lifetime warenteee... has enough room to travel comfortably in harsh canadian winters.
previous years, it's been good ol' military surplus. the kind that rides high on your back, so you can strap your bed roll/jacket to the bottom. yeah, they shred apart after a year or so, but whatever they're ten bucks.
if your travelin real light, you could always get a super cheap ass book bag. cops will just figure your on your way to work or school or something.
i've seen rreally light weight compression sacks with big comfy straps too. thought i'd give that a try, but seeing as my chrome will last FOREVER, i don't think i'll get the chance.

matt

Reaction score
Anything bought (or that can be passed off as bought) from REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, which means you can return something AFTER you've used it!

Rise 609

Reaction score
Carry the smallest pack you can, so that you accumulate the least amount of shit as possible. Get a sleeping bag that packs down small and make sure you have atleast a tarp to help keep you dry.

RebeccaSoup

Reaction score
I did a walkout at REI.

I got the first generation of these Arc'Teryx Briza 62 Pack - Women's at REI.com in green. And while i walked around the store "trying it on. I decided to check out a 1 1/2 pound north face sleeping bag. (you know.. to check out capacity.)

One I had both in place.. I walked around the store seeing how it felt. Saw a window of opportunity and casually strolled out. To be honest, I dont know that they ever noticed.

Additionally... I would go out of Chicago. Most of the spots Ive been in there have been pretty consistant. Surprisingly, the spots in the CC arent blown up all to shit. The one near the airport is a rad camping spot. The one outside of wicker park is a good consistant IM hop (goes down to the midline though, if thats where youre headed)

Good luck an have fun, dude.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
This is always a tricky question because I can recommend a 100 different types of backs to you and chances are your probably are only going to like a few out of all the different suggestions.

Back packs that are made from a canvas material are always my first choice. My top two favorite is a Military style Alice back pack however I always ditch the frame because it can become a major pain in the ass to get the external frames into certain openings pertaining to certain rails cars in addition external frames always hurt my back.

My second choice would be what they call a military 2-strap duffle bag however it has no pockets except for the one on the outside that is small and absolutely useless. It is a great and very tough train hopping bag however that type of bag lacks chest straps, no waist straps and it has not external or internal frame what so ever but once gain there built tough, no zippers earthier.

There are pros and cons to everything I reckon. You will just need to experiment with different bags and bag types. It will take time and experience to figure out what type of back pack is suited for your style and needs and I rest a sure you that those needs will change and evolve over time as you figure out what is and isn't important.

One of the biggest mistakes I often see new travelers make is buying things that they didn't need to begin with and realizing everything they actually needed they didn't buy and don't have. We all have been there regardless if we like to admit it or not.

Packing gear believe it or not is almost a art as strange as that sounds. i certainly wish you nothing but the best in you're new adventure. Good luck and safe travels.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads