Best cooking pot? | Squat the Planet

Best cooking pot?

WanderingWitch

Your Average Witch
Reaction score
I have a large (a 3/4 gallon capacity) cast iron pot that I've fallen in love with, but it's heavy and I can't really carry that with ease. Are there any large but lightweight pots on the market?

If you're wondering why I prefer large pots, I'm used to cooking for groups. Besides, with the 3/4 gallon pot I have, I can boil large ammounts of water for drinking. It comes in handy when, like me, you carry a gallon milk jug full of water. While I don't travel yet, I hope to in the future.

Reactions: JackSquat

ali

Reaction score
Unless you plan on traveling in a car, you are going to have to make some sacrifices when it comes to deciding what to bring with you. Any cooking gear big enough to cook more than a bowl of noodles or a cup of coffee is probably going to be one of those things. You can try to carry car camping stuff on your back if you really think you need it, but most likely you will end up leaving it behind in the first week or so. Better to start with almost nothing and only buy stuff when you need it than to buy a bunch of stuff and realize it's too much to haul around each day.

That said, if you really want a large portable pot, there are collapsible ones that have an aluminum base and silicon sides. They run upward of $50 i think, just check out your local camping store.

Edit: also, if you want to get clean water and you will primarily be traveling in backcountry areas where there is no tap water, then i highly recommend investing in a water filter. They are much lighter than a stove and pot, and you can immediately drink the water without having to wait for it to cool down. Truly a fantastic gadget.

Last edited:

WanderingWitch

Your Average Witch
Reaction score
Unless you plan on traveling in a car, you are going to have to make some sacrifices when it comes to deciding what to bring with you. Any cooking gear big enough to cook more than a bowl of noodles or a cup of coffee is probably going to be one of those things. You can try to carry car camping stuff on your back if you really think you need it, but most likely you will end up leaving it behind in the first week or so. Better to start with almost nothing and only buy stuff when you need it than to buy a bunch of stuff and realize it's too much to haul around each day.

That said, if you really want a large portable pot, there are collapsible ones that have an aluminum base and silicon sides. They run upward of $50 i think, just check out your local camping store.

Edit: also, if you want to get clean water and you will primarily be traveling in backcountry areas where there is no tap water, then i highly recommend investing in a water filter. They are much lighter than a stove and pot, and you can immediately drink the water without having to wait for it to cool down. Truly a fantastic gadget.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Reactions: JackSquat

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ive had a lot of luck with the MSR titan tea kettle. I cooked out of one for a good 6 months non stop in 2017 and it worked out for me. That being said its expensive and the largest one they sell is no where near that big. If you want something small light and cheep that you can use for real cooking, I have had a lot of luck lately with the snow peek Ti bowl and plate. These are not made for cooking but there very light weight -about 6 oz for the pare- and quite cheep -you can find both for 10 0r 15 dollars sometimes. This set will give you a pan and a pot to cook with for less wight then carrying a can of coke. That being said it will take time to learn to cook on them. Ti can be tricky because it transfures heat so quickly that your likely to burn on the bottom of the pot. You can make yourself a "scorch buster" out of the lid of a #10 steel can that will keep you from burning your eggs. Or you could go hardcore and just get very good at heat management. All this being said if you just want a big pot to hang over a fire to boil water your best bet would probably be a big steel or aluminum stock pot. Had for about 5 dollars from any goodwill store in the states. If you get one the right size you could shove it down into the bottom of your pack and have it act as your frame. then shove all your other stuff inside of it. I did outdoor instructor training with a company that did just that and it worked out for them. They were cooking for about 20 people out of that pot though. I have done the "boil all the water you drink" thing, I can attest to the fact that it can be done. But its also a massive pain in the ass to do for any more then a day or two. Water filters these days are tiny, cheep, and filter out anything you would be worried about boiling away anyway. Check out sawyer's line of products.
20170406_123141.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads