Best boot for travelling ? | Squat the Planet

Best boot for travelling ?

S

Stephen O Roach

I'll throw two suggestions out their to start .I sweat by my Doc 1490s lasted 4 years now but I hear red wings are equally as durable what is everyone's thoughts on long lasting boots.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
this might be out of left field, but i decided to get a pair of keen's recently and they're the best shoe/boot i've had so far in all my days of traveling. they're basically a steel toed shoe with a ton of ventilation, but are shoe shaped (low ankle) rather than boot shaped (high ankle) although they do have some boot options.

keen-shoes-3.jpg

they have really good traction but work as walking around town shoes as well, and i bike with them too without any problems.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a pair of redwings I'm breaking in.
I like em. Good boot. They are the high 9' uppers with a vibram sole.
Only time will tell with quality though.
I'm hope to get 2 - 4 years out of them.

Reactions: Mankini

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I started off with waterproof working boots and ended up ditching those... Honestly, I think a good pair of sneakers will do. You should definitely get a shoe that will be durable, comfortable for walking long distances and is breathable. The shoe @Matt Derrick suggested looks like it would be all three of those things. I don't travel in boots anymore just because they stink real quick. Now, I wear a pair of hiking sandals since it's the summer, even manage to hop trains with them. It really all depends on what works for you (personal preference/personal experience).

Reactions: Anagor

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Now, I wear a pair of hiking sandals since it's the summer, even manage to hop trains with them.

Thats the ticket. I like sandals when I don't wear boots. (don't mind boots in hot weather but yea I'm not the most meticulous when it comes to a bit of funk lol)

I just donated my used cheap sneakers and semi worn dress shoes to one of those box things. NOw I"m down to two pair of boots. (one my old desert boots need laces and I put in new cheap insert) and really old leather sandals... more like flip flops. But I want to get a good pair of Sandal like ... uh something. Just gotta drop in the shoe carnival or some where.

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
this might be out of left field, but i decided to get a pair of keen's recently and they're the best shoe/boot i've had so far in all my days of traveling. they're basically a steel toed shoe with a ton of ventilation, but are shoe shaped (low ankle) rather than boot shaped (high ankle) although they do have some boot options.

View attachment 24053

they have really good traction but work as walking around town shoes as well, and i bike with them too without any problems.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/

These are nice. I've seen similar in Sportsman's Guide.

Reactions: Kal

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Good post - don't think I've seen too much of this (yes I have not searched). I don't use a boot to hike or walk long distance - prefer a hiking sneaker - Merrill - can be a tad pricey but they last a long time and are comfortable with a good grip.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
every pair of docs i've ever had i wore down the tread in under a year. personally, i think they're terrible boots.

S

Stephen O Roach

The thing that many people say with Doc marten which I have to agree upon is to only purchase the made in England's their better manfucstured quality then the Mall bought Docs I purchased mine in london back in 2011/2012 only thing I've had to replace are my laces a few times I also reccomend straight lacing many times I've had to cut myself free

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I started off with waterproof working boots and ended up ditching those... Honestly, I think a good pair of sneakers will do.

When it comes to the kind of traveling I do / plan to do (urban areas, coach/passenger train/hitchhiking) I second that. I often have issues with my shoes, cause I prefer lightweight canvas shoes (chucks, vans) and I wear them out quite quickly (esp while traveling). But I get along with it and don't care if they are ripped or whatever as long as they are comfortable. Only shoes that gave me blisters recently were new shoes.

Now, I wear a pair of hiking sandals since it's the summer, even manage to hop trains with them. It really all depends on what works for you (personal preference/personal experience).

Yes, it depends on circumstance, IMHO. To be honest, I wouldn't ride freight wearing sandals. In that case I would wear sturdy boots. (Riding freight is out of the option here anyway, so I don't care about that.) But if it works for you, why not?

I see it this way: if my shoes fall apart, I can fix them with tape and get replacement everywhere for cheap. I always have flip flops in my backpack as emergency shoes (or just to wear in a hostel or for a walk downtown). On the other hand, would I plan to hike far away from civilization I would definitely care more about robust, comfortable shoes, cause I would depend on them and the ability to walk long distances. So, as you wrote, it depends.

Just my 2 cents ...

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
The thing that many people say with Doc marten which I have to agree upon is to only purchase the made in England's their better manfucstured quality then the Mall bought Docs I purchased mine in london back in 2011/2012 only thing I've had to replace are my laces a few times I also reccomend straight lacing many times I've had to cut myself free
Totally agree with this. All other docs are made in China these days and are rubbish quality compared to the "made in England" ones. Shame they're so damn expensive.

I've had a pair of berghaus walking boots for the last four years that have finally cracked on the suede they were £100 ($155) but I've worn them pretty much every day. The tread is still good on them, but now they're not water tight I think it's the end for them. They've been the comfiest boots I've ever owned. Didn't need breaking in or anything.

Reactions: Anagor and Mankini

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score

just arrived at my mums house to collect my dog to discover she is also rocking a pair of keens! Its a conspiracy! Tried them on and they are super comfortable. apparently she's been wearing them for years. I have to admit I have never noticed, but there you go Keen's endorsed by Matt and my mum :p

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads