best bike?

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Neon colored fixed gear with mag wheels!

Sorry for not being helpful.

There is a type of road bike frame made for touring (also called touring) that is a little bit longer and more 'relaxed' than a regular frame. The bikes that I've seen are usually '80s steel frames with 27" wheels and between 14 and 21 speeds. Then a rack on the front and back and some saddle bags. A (new, break it in yourself) leather seat is ideal and probably drop handlebars so you can have a bunch of different hand positions for when your arms get tired. But really, it's all preference. Make sure you know every part of the bike and make sure it is all clean and well maintained before you leave, and bring lot's of patches!

I'm sure someone will reply to this with more useful information.

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker, but recently I got a Schwinn Traveler III for $50, and just need to get a rack, and bags. I plan on going cross country this summer (VA to OR). The bike currently weighs 28 pounds, and will be another 35 or so in the end with gear and clothes.

My cousin rode from GA to NY last summer, and had 100lbs with the bike and gear. He hated hauling all of that everywhere.

You're going to want to get a nice road bike, the frame should have touring geometry. Comfy grips are a must, you'll be using them all day after all. Make sure that there is places to mount racks, both on the fork, and the back. The gearing will be different than a normal street bike since you'll be carrying gear. 700c tires have more options than 27" tires (and they are more widely popular/sold), so you'll want a 700c wheelset. Make sure the frame is made of CroMoly (steel), not aluminum or carbon fiber. Look for some used ones on craigslist, it is good to rebuild it yourself since you'll learn how the components work together, and you'll be able to work on it on the road.

Do have a route planned out yet? I am looking for a partner or two. Taking the TransAm Trail, leaving at the end of June from VA.

Mor

Reaction score
I rode from Vancouver, BC to Puerta Vallarta a few years back and the only bit(s) of wisdom I can share is:

Get a old steel mountain bike.

They're cheap and easy to find.
With a nice pair of slick tires they're just as fast and comfortable as a roadbike on the pavement..
Plus they have the benefit of being able to go off the pavement and go anywhere you're wanting to ride.
A nice all around bike.

Unless you want to ride on highways the whole way with cars whizzing past ya... the choice is yours.

Mor

Reaction score
They're good all around bikes.

City riding, touring, backroads, fireroads, trails, beaches!!, salt flats, dry lake beds....

good for popping up and over curbs when need be.

The only drawbacks are that they lack varied hand positions when riding all day. (which can be remedied by simple bar ends)

and some people say that they're slow... but.. you're riding a bike so it's not exactly like you're in a hurry to begin with. If you were you'd take a bus or hitchike or something.

For me the biggest draw is that mtbs can easily go where cars and roadbikes can't. And in my opinion that's where the beauty lies.. off the well beaten track of hwys.

It all depends where you want to go and what you want to see.

klots

Reaction score
My favorite type of bike is what we call a "bakfiets", i wouldn't know if there's an english word for it so i'll keep calling it a bakfiets :)
These are made for transporting big stuff, but with a few modifications very suitable for travelling, but only in flat parts. Climbing hills is kind of a bitch since they are quite heavy and have a fixed gear.
Here's mine:

View attachment 8891

View attachment 8892

View attachment 8893

View attachment 8894

you can fit about six to eight people in the front quite comfortably, or just take along all your stuff.
But as i said, climbing hills is a bitch and Holland is quite a flat country, so for here they're awesome, don't know about where you live though. But if you like the idea: there's also motorised versions of this, called a "bakbrommer"
View attachment 8895
pencil.png

klots

Reaction score
forgot to mention: these fuckers are built to last. Mine was built in 1924, and before i got it it has been standing in someones backyard for decoration for almost 30 years, it took me 2 weeks to get it back in it's original condition.
I dont know about the availability in the usa, but i'm sure you'll find one if you look hard enough.
If not, they aren't that complicated, so depending on your welding skills you can make one yourself fairly easy.

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Our current bike is a Thomas Pinacle. Ten years ago it was $3500. I like the way it rides. the best bike I've ever ridden was a '92 Team Marin.

For cross country everywhere riding, I like the long stroke compression forks. The little ones that travel two or three inches don't do much to protect you or the bike, but the ones with the 9-12 inch stroke can take a pretty good hit and you won't even feel it.

The Pinacle has been cross country twice and it's still here if that says anything about the frame.

Logan

sal

Reaction score
I spent a few months this winter riding from Savannah GA to Gainesville FL and then all around florida. My frame is an old holland made, lugged steel touring frame, a Batavus tour del'euorope that was in my friends garage, and I bought some 700c off brand deep V flip folp hub rims for it. I always ride it fixed, but I have a single speed sproket that I never use.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for steep mountain roads, but for average hills and flat land, it's the best. you fly down the road and have amazing control. plus the fixed gear actually helps you peddle alot, and if you pedal at about a walking cadence, (10 - 15 mph easy) you can cover 50 - 100 miles in a day and feel like you went for a nice walk.

the real important thing is gear. every ounce counts. I started with two saddle bags that were about 40 pounds together, and moved to having a 15 pound back pack, a chaos pouch with all my bike tools, and one saddle bag just to hold all my food, which you're going to need to stock up on a little

safe travels, ride hard

wartomods

Reaction score
yeah, good set up, and singlespeed, super simple, it is a good choice if you are riding flatlands with no thrills, super reliable, i like that photo a lot.

My choice for touring is steel frame, 26 wheels, v-brakes, some slicks (not too skinny, almost every brand has a set of 26' slicks for touring), and two simple friction derailers, and a rear rack, two bottles in the frame. Yeah ready to take the world, 26' are not as fast or smooth in the road, but they are strongers and more stable under heavy loads. And cheaper and easier to repair.

bananathrash

Reaction score
maybe ill try to work up to that for next summer gudj. id need/want a lot of time to checkout everything worth seeing on the way. plus, the most ive ridden on one tour is 200 miles, and its 3,000 so to get out there. itd be fuckin rad though!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads