Bed roll | Squat the Planet

Bed roll

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Is it any more difficult to catch rides with a bed roll strapped to your pack? Just seems to make it look like you are carrying so much more and maybe ppl will be less apt to pick you up if you look super loaded down.. Especially if you're traveling with say... Two others and a dog. Yeah? No?

D

Deleted member 2626

I had a wide military sleeping pad and travelled with my one buddy and we got rides pretty well except in ohio hoofed it for a day or two with 3 or 4 rides in them two days, but from pa to texas we got good rides furthest were truckers and some charlie sheen like dude in west pa drove us from outside of baltimore the whole way back onto 70 to south of pittsburgh, with a dog though im not sure, ive been thinkin of that with my dog if me and my brah go again got to be a good dog and not huge and dirty

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i always get all crazy like "fuck...it looks like we got too much shit...we look too dirty...the dog should be hidden...the dog's not visible enough.....am i standing right....should i put on a different shirt..." etc......but in the end i think if people are gonna give you a ride....there gonna fuckin give you a ride..... when we would get desperate we'd make a sign(big bold letters) "BACK OF TRUCK?"....that worked alot.... try to consolodate your gear into a nice neat pile so it's not all sprawled out everywhere....and maybe hide the dog behind your gear, although alot of times people will see you walkin up with a dog that they didnt notice and pull off..then again alot of times you can get a chance to talk 'em into it even if they didnt see the dog...and then there's people who pick you up BECAUSE of the dog......when people say to me "well, i'm not sure if there's room" i always just say "nah, we'll make it work".....but yeah, bedroll shouldnt make much difference

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the replys.. It's a small Bassett hound mix.. Everything fits in and clips to my pack neatly.it's just the damn roll makes it look so big.. I'm sure it'll all be goo. I'm taking it anyways. Just have to get the hitchHIKE part down I guess..

D

Deleted member 2626

bryanpaul is right if your gonna get a ride you will and back of truck is a common ride wed point to the bed all the time and got rides

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the replys.. It's a small Bassett hound mix.. Everything fits in and clips to my pack neatly.it's just the damn roll makes it look so big.. I'm sure it'll all be goo. I'm taking it anyways. Just have to get the hitchHIKE part down I guess..
yeah i have this badass -15 deg. sleeping bag that's pretty big.... looks stupid and is kind of a pain in the ass but it's the shit...keeps you warm in the cold and cool in the heat and i dont have the nerve to get rid of it and get something smaller.....

jake4569

Reaction score
This is a good thread i was thinkin the same thing, i got a alice pack with a cheap 20$ coleman sleeping bag and it makes my pack look hugeee, plus im gonna be traveling with my german shepard dog, which is a pretty big dog... idk for sure if im gonna bring her or not yet though

flashinglights

Reaction score
Thirding bryanpaul: if you're going to get a ride you're going to get a ride. The details of your appearance don't matter as much as your vibes you put out.

However there are some other considerations to keeping your bedroll hidden, like: some libraries won't allow packs inside that have bedding or clothing exposed. So try to fit it inside the pack if you can.

Dmac

Reaction score
i draw a simple picture of a pickup with a big arrow pointing to the bed of the truck. it has gotten me many, many rides.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
I carried an army bedroll for a while. It really does make everything look huge. What I did was cut it to the length I wanted. Basically as wide as my shoulders and from my shoulders to right below my knees. It saves a little bulkiness and looks a little smaller. Plus do you really need more than that?

Also, like someone else mentioned, try to fit it inside your pack. With some of the bigger packs and especially pickle bags, you can roll it into a circle and stick it in there. Then put everything else in the middle. This makes a sort of frame for those rucks and by trimming it down some, it makes for more room for other shit when you use it as a frame.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads