Bawk ba gawk

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I have been wanting to hitchhike on my trip and I keep chickening out and end up taking the bus which costs so much money. I think I may try it in Austin but I'm trying to go east. Would you say hitching south to San Antonio then east in I-10 a good idea?

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Would you say hitching south to San Antonio then east in I-10 a good idea?

NOOOOOOO.

With all the emphasis I can muster, NO.

I've hitchhiked that exact route before, and it is a cunt.

I would say you're better off heading north first, THEN East/West.

• Useful
Reactions: beginnavagabond

AaronOnTheRoad

Reaction score
Okay. Also I heard flying J's are good places because they're independently owned. What others are independent?
I'm not sure what's independently owned. But truck stops are a good place to catch a ride. I've always had good luck.

Don't get caught up in a tornado. Keep an eye on the weather

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's independently owned. But truck stops are a good place to catch a ride. I've always had good luck.

Don't get caught up in a tornado. Keep an eye on the weather
I just read that Oklahoma is a hard state to hitch in. What are your thoughts on that? Do you think truck stops would be a better place there?

dodi

Reaction score
Not sure about the state, but generally you can get at ride at most gas station. Can be a bit engaging, but if you feel like it you can even go and talk to the people (works a lot more with truckies in my experience, rad people don't really like that you come across them).

However, if it's your first time hitch-hiking and you have a hard time putting yourself on it, it can be easier just to be at the exit of the stop or station with a sign that states where you wanna go. then it's not really up to you any more, so, feel confident :)

Also, what I was doing when I started hitch-hiking and chickened out, I would always start like early, having the bus as a plan B, later on in the day. That somehow calmed me you know ? I was just giving it a try, and knew I would eventually get there. And...guess what ? I've never taken the bus on those days ^^

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads