Banned Ban issued to user Philip the Vagabond (2 Viewers)

Philip the Vagabond

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Hometown
Ashland, Oregon
The following was copied from PMs to this thread to document why the user was banned. -- Matt Derrick

It's good to know that in your world (and vocabulary) that sex is synonymous with traveling. I gather you have tried to have sex with everyone you've traveled with and vice versa. You aren't fooling about "increasingly aggressive bro"! Sex and traveling are not the same to me and not in the world I live in. Perhaps you should take a break from moderating since you see evil in innocuous invitations. I know I'm new to the site, but I'm not new to the English language. You read what you wanted to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Increasingly aggressive bro
Staff member
Hometown
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
You specified in your post that you're interested in having one or more women join you. That's singling out women specifically which is against the website rules, exactly as stated in what I linked you. Do you still wanna keep talkin shit or have I explained it simple enough for you to comprehend?

OP
P

Philip the Vagabond

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Hometown
Ashland, Oregon
Yes, you have made it abundantly clear that you are a typical Internet tough guy. You are uncouth and uncivil and apparently have a very limited vocabulary. I have no idea if this site had any redeeming characteristics but you're not one of them. I'll save you the trouble of having to think about this further and delete my account. Have fun in your tiny puddle.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
@Philip the Vagabond it's not our job to sit here quietly while you be ridiculously rude and disrespectful to us. You have no entitlement here, this is our house, not yours.

You can disagree in a civil and respectful manner, we have no problem being told we're wrong. But you decided to be a defensive asshole about it, and jump out the gate fists swinging. We don't tolerate that shit here so I'm banning your account.

Get fucked and have a horrible day :)

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Hometown
Upstate
"Creeping on" "young legal" male members remains A-OK though?

I wonder if you would want to post the stuff where he is being a "defensive asshole about it, and jump out the gate fists swinging", rather than just the stuff you posted above, where he is replying in the "civil and respectful manner" you say is OK?

Of course, for the zillionth time, i know this site is private property, and that you are free to do what you want, but it seems to me you are also anxious to seem fair and even-handed. If so, you could do better, i think.

I assume from @Engineer J Lupo 's replies to the dude that a woman posting looking for women to travel with would be banned just as fast, and subject to the same instant inference of bad faith?

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
Hometown
Chicago
Women looking to travel specifically with women is an attempt to be safe in numbers. Men looking to travel specifically with women is seen as a red flag for risk by women because the intent behind it is more likely to be sexual.

I know you're a smart cookie, @Older Than Dirt . I know you know the difference between women wanting a space to be full of women vs men wanting a space to be full of women.

Women wouldn't assume bad faith if men weren't so much more likely to attack them. Yall work on your shit and hold men accountable for the shit they do or try to do, don't shift the focus to what-about-isms like this.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Hometown
Upstate
Um, @EmmaAintDead A, you do know that some women have sex with women, right? So how is it exactly that we know that if a woman posts looking for women to travel with that there can't possibly be any of that "sexual intent" again?

The actual "what about-ism" in my post was the indirect reference to the quite similar recent post by another 62 year old man with a van, a gay man who wants "young, legal" traveling companions, who hasn't gotten banned, or warned, or anything, yet.

Of course, he does not specify that they have to be male, and of course he may mean something different than "legal to fuck" by specifying that, in addition to being "young", they must be "legal".

Can't really think of what else could be meant, though- and this isn't one of those "oh you old folks don't understand our youthful jive" situations, because dude is older than me.

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
Hometown
Chicago
the rate which women sexually assault other women is WAYYYY lower than the rate men sexually assault women. The comparison of lesbians to men here is a false equivalence.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Hometown
Upstate
This is certainly what i would have thought too, @EmmaAintDead , but seems not to be as true as we both assumed.

According to the wikipedia "Rape By Gender" article, men are about 25% more likely than women to admit to having forced someone into sex in the last year:

"In 2011, a study supported by a research grant from the Department of Education and Science of Spain found based on a "convenience sample of 13,877 students in 32 nations" that 2.4% of males and 1.8% of females admitted to having physically forced someone into having sex in the last year."

Yes, this is just one study, i know. But it was published in a quite respectable peer reviewed journal.

And you are probably right. Men engage in way more violence than women, and that probably includes sexual violence. That might be one non-sexual reason an elderly guy would prefer to travel with women- he's afraid of being robbed.

But i don't think your argument is as telling as you think, even if you are correct. Very few men rape women- to assume all men are rapists may or may not be a good survival strategy, but cuts one off from interaction with almost half of humans.

Still waiting to learn why this 62 year old with a van got banned for "creeping on" folks, and the other 62 year old who wants "young, legal" traveling companions is OK?

Of course, the uncivil replies he made to staff (the ones that aren't included here, where only his quite polite replies to staff who accused him of being a rapist/creep for wanting to travel with women) may explain what sure seems like a double standard.

Also curious why this is a thread about him being banned, when he seems to say he deleted his account? Or is this a case of "You can't quit, you're fired!"?

Last edited:

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Hometown
Upstate
That's singling out women specifically which is against the website rules
It actually isn't- nowhere does it say "Posts looking for traveling companions of a specific gender are not allowed", or anything that can reasonably be read that way. I actually assumed it was, and that's why this 62 year old with a camper got banned, and the other one (who did not specify what gender his "young, legal" traveling companions should be) was getting over and not banned. But actually there is nothing like that there when i checked.

Maybe you should make the rules say what you think they say?

Sexual harassment will not be tolerated
If any member of the website sends you an unsolicited message of a sexual nature via forum thread or private message, please use the report link below the message to notify the staff. Due to a recent influx of Facebook sleezebags, we are extending this zero tolerance policy to include situations such as but not exclusive to: truckers looking to give rides to travelers in exchange for sexual favors, the creation of threads solely for advertising for a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner, or any other kind of 'I need to get laid' post. This isn't a dating site, so fuck off and go somewhere else. Civil discussion of an adult nature is absolutely permitted, preferably in the Sex & Relationships forum.

Last edited:

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Staff member
Hometown
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
"Creeping on" "young legal" male members remains A-OK though?
Creeping on anybody no matter their gender is not ok. That was your question right? There's your answer.

I wonder if you would want to post the stuff where he is being a "defensive asshole about it, and jump out the gate fists swinging", rather than just the stuff you posted above, where he is replying in the "civil and respectful manner" you say is OK?
Keep in mind he opened up this conversation with me, I didn't write him. This is how the conversation started. I simply explained to him in a very reasonable tone that he overlooked a rule and then I provided him with a link and the text as well. That shouldn't fire someone up so much that they feel they need to write me a DM I don't think.. but here we are. Keeping in mind this is literally how he opened up the conversation, if you don't find any of what he had to say defensive and you read it as respectful, you're more out of touch than I had previously thought.

Of course, for the zillionth time, i know this site is private property, and that you are free to do what you want, but it seems to me you are also anxious to seem fair and even-handed. If so, you could do better, i think.
Yeah, we should probably make you part of the mod team. I'm sure that would go over super well and you'd show us all how it's done better. And then everyone will clap and Matt will make you supreme mod the literal god of even-handed fair balance.

I assume from @Engineer J Lupo 's replies to the dude that a woman posting looking for women to travel with would be banned just as fast, and subject to the same instant inference of bad faith?
You're really trying to make this case? The fact you'd even consider trying to make this case makes me wonder how well your legal career went. If we gotta spell out the differences here, there's no getting through to you and it's a waste of at very least my time to even bother trying. Plus Emma already did but you're such an insufferably argumentative individual that you're over here citing Wikipedia which is absolutely laughable.

I like to visualize you pulling that shit in a court room and the judge has to break it to you that anyone with internet access can make changes to Wikipedia pages and it's sort of like the absolute worst thing to cite if you're trying to present facts because it's so easy for anyone to manipulate. Were you really a lawyer? Seriously?

The actual "what about-ism" in my post was the indirect reference to the quite similar recent post by another 62 year old man with a van, a gay man who wants "young, legal" traveling companions, who hasn't gotten banned, or warned, or anything, yet.
Have you reported it? You know that's often times how these things work right? Someone reports an issue, it pops up in the moderation queue and we look into it. Actually that's what happened with @Philip the Vagabond but we haven't had the chance to merge the other conversation into this thread, Or maybe we're not going to for anonymity, I'm not sure but there was a report. A very young female user reported him for creeping in her DM's and she gave us some screenshots iirc.

Of course, he does not specify that they have to be male, and of course he may mean something different than "legal to fuck" by specifying that, in addition to being "young", they must be "legal".
Oh, so then what you're saying is that person hasn't actually broken any rules whereas @Philip the Vagabond has? Strong argument bro, that's some next level lawyering holy shit! It's almost hard to determine which side of the case you're arguing when you're making points that go against your case. I bet the opposing lawyers loved going up against you back in the day.

Can't really think of what else could be meant, though- and this isn't one of those "oh you old folks don't understand our youthful jive" situations, because dude is older than me.
You really can't think of any other scenario to explain why this old guy would be looking for young but legal company? I mean I don't have a lawyer brain, shit I'm a failure at modding by your standards but lemme just try to take a stab at this since you've failed to think of even a single other reason why the guy you're referring to would want to be around youthful yet legal individuals of any gender.

Do you think that he could have meant young as in he likes to surround himself with young people because it makes him feel alive while he's basically dying of old age? Maybe he likes their energy? Rather than traveling with someone his age, the younger people bring more adventure into his life?

He made it clear, legal age. So it's not really creepy then right? We know he's not looking for little kids or anything. He just likes to share the company of young people but he wants to make sure they're at least of legal age so that he's not getting harassed by police for harboring runaways and shit right? You really couldn't think of any other scenario that guy could have meant by that? I wonder if he needs help with shit? Collecting firewood? Things of that nature? I can keep popping off reasons all night while you're drawing blanks. I don't think you're trying.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Staff member
Hometown
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
It actually isn't- nowhere does it say "Posts looking for traveling companions of a specific gender are not allowed", or anything that can reasonably be read that way. I actually assumed it was, and that's why this 62 year old with a camper got banned, and the other one (who did not specify what gender his "young, legal" traveling companions should be) was getting over and not banned. But actually there is nothing like that there when i checked.

Maybe you should make the rules say what you think they say?

Sexual harassment will not be tolerated
If any member of the website sends you an unsolicited message of a sexual nature via forum thread or private message, please use the report link below the message to notify the staff. Due to a recent influx of Facebook sleezebags, we are extending this zero tolerance policy to include situations such as but not exclusive to: truckers looking to give rides to travelers in exchange for sexual favors, the creation of threads solely for advertising for a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner, or any other kind of 'I need to get laid' post. This isn't a dating site, so fuck off and go somewhere else. Civil discussion of an adult nature is absolutely permitted, preferably in the Sex & Relationships forum.
The creation of the post and it's intent was "looking for company" to which he further narrowed it down by specifying "women". It comes off like he thinks this is OkCupid or some shit. Now I linked what I linked and I didn't give him a warning or anything like that I just pointed a rule out that I felt he might want to become more familiar with. He had all the opportunity in the world to say at that point

"Listen, I know it may sound like I'm looking for some romantic type companionship because I specified gender but it isn't like that. I've actually traveled with men as well but honestly after being physically overpowered and robbed by three of them and beat up by another.. I'm kinda PTSD about the whole thing and while I have nothing against male travelers.. I simply feel safer in the company of women"

And I would have been like oh dang, yeah I can understand that. Just like we've previously done when that exact same thing was explained about two years ago but someone who made a post very similar to this. We got all red flags about it and he calmly explained. We understood and that was that.

This guy on the other hand, lurking in young women's DMs and firing off on me in DM's just seems awfully suspect. Like he's got a guilty conscience and quick to anger when called out on his shit.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Hometown
Upstate
One more time @Engineer J Lupo - the rules do not say what you think they say. There is no rule against posting looking for men or women to travel with. It is indeed "next-level lawyering shit" to point out that the rules don't apply to the alleged offense.

If he was harassing "a very young female user" in DMs, why on earth didn't you say that before?

As to the other 62 year old with a van, no i did not "report it"; my mother brought me up to scorn tattletales. i would never "report" anything to anyone. But i did tag you and @Matt Derrick asking why his post was OK 12 hours ago.

The source i cited was a peer reviewed article in Deviant Behavior - i linked to wikipedia because not everyone knows how to access journal articles. Here's the article, since you seem to think i was making this up.

And i agreed @EmmaAintDead is probably right, despite the source i cited.

Again, this is all theoretical if he was harassing folks, but you didn't mention that until the thirteenth post in this thread.

You guys certainly take criticism well, i have to give you that.

Also good to know casual bigotry directed at old folks is mod-approved around here. Did you know that you too are "basically dying of old age"?

Last edited:

MFB

Wayfarer
Hometown
CO
Man.... I wish someone would creep on me...just once.

Juan... Looking your way.... Maybe...

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Hometown
Bellingham, WA
I don't have much to say about this other than I agree with this ban.

But this needs addressing:

As to the other 62 year old with a van, no i did not "report it"; my mother brought me up to scorn tattletales. i would never "report" anything to anyone. But i did tag you and @Matt Derrick asking why his post was OK 12 hours ago.
Reporting something is not "tattling," it just brings something to our attention. We can then take a look at it and decide if any action needs to be taken to keep StP a safe and smoothly-functioning site.

I don't know anything about the other post you're referring to because you didn't report it. Just tagging two staff members doesn't help because we are all real people with other things going on in our lives and we all get a lot of notifications on StP and it's easy to miss them. That's why we have half a dozen people on the staff.

If you actually care about action being taken about this other situation instead of just using it as a reason to start shit, then report it.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Hometown
Upstate
@Engineer J Lupo : Yes, i was making that up too:

Prove away, Comrade.

And just to be clear @MolotovMocktail , no i do not think anything should be done about the other 62 year old with a camper.

And i am sorry you view criticism of mods' decisions as "starting shit".

I recall reading somewhere that you welcome criticism because it's how you make the site better. I was naive enough to think you meant it.

I now know better.

Last edited:

MFB

Wayfarer
Hometown
CO
OTD! Youre totally startin shit! Let it go, dooder!

Youre like Judd Nelson in that Breakfast Club scene. Ill be Molly Ringwald.

source.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $150.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Im in the bay headed to reno tonight, had a good week with good people and good miles. The tehachapi loop gets prettier every time.
Best part of unexpected kindness - (drum roll)
IT'S UNEXPECTED
Got to Beaumont. Fucking brrr, man. Someone remind me again what just what the hell am I doing in Texas?
leptospirosis--- possum piss in the water! feel awful! this is what killed lincons mum!! be careful of yoru water playmates!!!
Omg this shit happened again :( my love is back behide bars :( what can I do 2 make the most of the time I have now???
Heading Southwest tomorrow. Hoping to make the Sam Houston National Forest by nightfall. Gonna be a long day of riding...
tucson to phoenix? trying to pick kids up. i wanna see how many hippies fit in a dodge caravan
SteveO85 wrote on Ponyriderijk's profile.
What up dude?Just trying to find similar people with similar views in the area...
cold wet and managed to dodge NINE count em NINE kangaroos in twelve k ! listening to rodriguez "sugarman" thinking about aqualung