Backpack/Bedroll/Sleeping bag question...

Everymanalion

Reaction score
So im going out for the first time without just staying in hostels and i have a pretty small backpack and i have like 20-30 buck budget for a sleeping bag and all the bags i see at walmart are HUGE, like half of my actual backpack. Is this normal? how do you guys attatch your sleeping bag to the lower portion of your backpack? pull ties with hooks on the end? I also have a yoga mat, would that work as a bed roll? i need ALL the advice you can give me about this, i DO NOT want to buy a bigger bag, i like small and super mobile.

I know i asked this before but nobody really gave me specifics. Long replies would be appreciated, thank you!

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
well, personally, i use bungee cords to attach my bag to my pack, but i have an external frame pack. some backpacks (usually internal frame packs) have straps for attaching your sleeping bag.

can you give us a picture of your pack or link us to a product page?

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Its not the best bag but for 30 bucks its not badly made at all, im thinking those two straps at the bottom are for the sleeping bag but i have not seen a sleeping bag under $100 that would fit in that tiny area rolled up. Let me know yours guys opinion, thanks
IMG_20120126_021747.jpg

travelin

Reaction score
this probably wont help you because of the cost, but I use the mil issue ecws sleep system. the whole system in its stuff sack is huge but the bivy and green bag compress down fairly small. you can either use the issue stuff sack or buy a civy one.

minimalist gear would be a wool blanket and poncho rolled and tied across the top of the pack, then secured down each side. look like an old times soldier like that!

Everymanalion

Reaction score
I know im gonna sound like an idiot but what the fuck is the red pull ties for on either side? just to hold various things? and i can fit a bedroll on the bottom of the pack in that tiny area, is a bedroll a neccecity and i can figure out some other way to attatch the sleeping bag?

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
instead of buying that for thirty, i would have probably gone with an alice pack for about the same price (give or take ten to twenty dollars). my own pack only cost sixty or seventy, and my sleeping back about thirty.

L

LeftCoast

I would have to agree with frzrbrnd about the cost. I can't really tell by the single picture of the quality of the pack. I mean, it's nifty for a day pack, but personally, I would go with something more sizable. I have used a few internal frame packs in my time, mostly of them being Gregory and REI. I have also gone through my share of external frame packs. Time and time again I was told that alice packs were shit, but I think they do the job. I am more of a fan of the medium alice packs. The external frame is what gives it so much versatility. You can also shrink them up pretty well. There are a bunch of videos up on youtube about modifications too, which make things a lot easier. I always end up going back to my medium alice pack. that thing is the most reliable pack that I have ever used. Not only are they inexpensive, but they last quite a long time, they are easy to repair and easy to clean. There a bunch of awesome things about Alice packs, have you tried one on yet? Once you try one on, and if you decide you like it, you can always go on amazon and score one super cheap. I got mine in person at a surplus in portland for 4.50, but that was without straps, frame, and had a hole in it. I had all of the other parts from my large alice pack, so I just swapped off the materials and it worked just fine. Also, If you can modify a large alice pack to be more narrow you can do a lot with that as well. That requires a good handstitchin or a decent sewing machine. If you are interested in a decent alice pack setup, message me buddy.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
If Im looking at the strings your talking about those are to slide items into..bottles ext, Ive crammed shirts inthere too..lots of uses.

Re getting the right shit for the best value:

Technically you don't need that much, traveling or in life..but for this well stick to traveling. The first time I ever went on tour I brought this huge fucking bag loaded with everything you could imagine. Seemed all good but after ten mins I was like fuck...then next few months where tough, got a lot of exercise but it was a bit much.
Fast forward a decade, I travel with next to fucking nothing, sometimes without even a sleeping bag or my bivy. What does that have to do with buying good gear you ask?

Good question and to be honest I'm not entirely sure. I guess firstly for me traveling light is a must, Id travel naked if I could. So that being said having super heavy duty shit is overkill (winter excluded).
Secondly shit gets lost, damaged, stole over time..k

Fuck it this isnt working..basically my point is don't worry to much about your gear right off the bat. Your bound to go through gear over the years if you keep it up, and if you don't well then it doesn't matter. As time goes by you'll get freebies from people or good deals here and there and your kit will grow on its own....no need to rush.

Secondly you can pick up/get rid of shit as you go. Sometimes we would go by the Sally An and go through all the donations and grab a blanket or two, use them for a few days then chuck em. Or if we where squeegeeing, head down and buy a cheap blanket, keep it at a squat then just leave it there after.

If you can get used to just sleeping anywhere with next to nothing you will be about as free as you can get.

Don't worry too much about how it looks, besides after a while you wont give a shit anyhow..that's the benefit of being on the road. The most important thing is that you go, the rest is secondary....besides no matter how prepared you think you are, or how good your gear is your still going to be uncomfortable half the time.. embrace it.

Thats the best I can give in my slow morning state

bryanpaul

Reaction score
dental floss and sewing needles will become your best freinds on the road!....you can basically modify your pack as far as your imagination and patience will allow.... TRAVEL TIP#237 :steal the safety seatbelt staps off the shopping carts at grocery stores...and just sew them on to wherever you want shit strapped ..... .......... oh and look for nice cargo pants in goodwill dumpsters(or the clothes bags left behind there or wherever)....always good to have a few cargo pockets (cut off the pants) in your pack to sew on to whatever

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Yea ive tried alice bags but i cant justify the size, i know they arent huge but i LOVE smaller bags, 2 changes of clothes(shirts/pants), 4 socks, 2 underwear,thermals, gloves, hoody, windbreaker, beanie, book, first aid kid, water bottle and thats about it. I love traveling lite. And i meant not the part where the Water Bottle is in in the picture but the actual red part that like is stretchy on the front, I guess my question is how the hell could i attatch a sleeping bag and a bedmat to it? there is space under the bag with a pully sort of thing for a bed roll but not big enough for these huge fuckin' wal mart sleeping bags that are in my budget to apply to my bag, even on bigger bags i cant find a space to apply those huge bags too. The bag looks bigger in real life trust me, Its comparable to a northface terra 35l. Does anyone else travel with a bag this small? Sorry about the run on sentences and lack of spaces, damn phone. thanks guys!

shiftingGEARS

Reaction score
those loops down the center front of your pack seems like it would make a good spot to tie up your sleeping bag. As for a bed roll, you could save your self the extra weight and sleep like a king in a well gathered pile of leaves, but then again i would sleep bare assed on the cold concrete if i was that tired.

shiftingGEARS

Reaction score
Alright sorry for sounding like such a dumb ass, thanks guys!

hey man there is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers, but as for your bag situation tie up your sleeping bag to it and try it out a bunch of ways and you will find the way that suits you, good luck buddy.

Reactions: Everymanalion

travelin

Reaction score
this one calculates out to under 22 bucks for price and shipping to my location. your mileage may vary. it compresses down pretty small.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&cp=11&gs_id=14&xhr=t&q=compact sleeping bag&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=599&wrapid=tljp1327596920860020&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5800185080962238706&sa=X&ei=kIUhT_-bK-fliALE8cngBw&sqi=2&ved=0CJMBEPMCMAI#

this one is good to have, its a lot tougher than regular space blankets and can be reused. i know this for a fact! probably best to pick it up locally as its not worth shelf price plus shipping.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=compact sleeping bag&sqi=2&cid=14740081590854178433&ei=tYUhT7edPISGiQSivajMBA&ved=0CBkQrRI#

Reactions: Everymanalion

Nyte

Reaction score
A lot has to do with the weather you are planning to have to deal with as well. If you are going to be in the south, southwest, or southern california, and not run into many really cold temps, you could make due with a lighter, and thus smaller packing sleeping bag. If it's going to get cold, find a squat, secluded place, fire pit, or shelter for the night, or score some blankets to get you through. As for the pack, I have seen a few of them around, and they are ok, but I wouldn't expect it to hold up to a bunch of abuse for real long. Use it for now, but start keeping an eye out to scrounge for something nicer, you would be surprised what goes to goodwill type places, yard sales, or can be found at places like the occupies. Also, you can put an ad in craigslist and the like asking for donations of what gear you need. You might be surprised.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads