News & Blogs - Awesome Hippy Bus | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Awesome Hippy Bus

D

Deleted member 7149

http://thehomesteadsAn instant guest bedroom on wheels? That’s what Portland, ME-based architect Will Winkelman of Winkelman Architecture was asked to provide in the restoration of a 1959 Chevrolet Viking short bus.
[URL='http://www.winkarch.com/project.php?id=65']Winkelman’s
client was looking for maximum flexibility: transportation for group outings, a camper for family forays into the wilderness, and of course the invaluable extra guest bedroom. Complete with plumbing, power, and a funky interior, being a guest was never more fun.
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-15.jpg

Above: The exterior of the 1959 Chevrolet Viking bus was a pure restoration.
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-02.jpg

Above: A peek into the bus's sleeping quarters.
bus-sink-winklemann.jpg

Above: "The client envisioned a funky, hippy, Moroccan vibe," says Winkelman. "To that end, it's like we inserted an alternate life into the bus, a road not yet traveled. We took it back to the 1960s and rooted it there with beads, dangles, and paisleys."
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-08a.jpg

Above: A mixture of animal prints, paisleys and Moroccan prints selected by Vince Moulton Interiors give the furnishings a funky 60's vibe.
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-05.jpg

Above: "For the interior millwork, we translated the design vision into an arts and crafts aesthetic," Winkelman says. "Quarter-sawn white oak felt like the right fit: not exotic, not trying too hard. It wants to be finely crafted and is evocative of the era."
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-11.jpg

Above: "The floor is salvaged heart-pine to maximize durability, installed using the original surface of the resawn boards exposed to look like it has been there for half a century," says Winkelman.
remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-04.jpg

Above: A detail of the reading lamp.
remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-10.jpg

Above: Table seating provides more seating when the bus is used for group transportation.
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-09.jpg

Above: The single beds can be put together to make a queen-sized bed.
remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-12.jpg

Above: "To transform the vehicle into a camper we turned to the custom boat building trade—an obvious source for beautifully crafted, uniquely shaped and highly fitted work that is accustomed to utilizing every inch," says Winkelman.
remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-07.jpg

Above: "The mechanical aspect of the vehicular restoration was huge, rebuilding the frame and mechanicals from the chassis up, tailoring the components to the bus's body and keeping the feel, function, and features consistent with a vintage vehicle," says Winkelman. "The body shop lifted the body off and tenderly restored it to its original self, sometimes fabricating replacement parts, sometimes sourcing salvaged parts on the web."
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-14.jpg

Above: The bus in its original condition prior to its makeover.
700_remodelista-winkelman-architecture-short-bus-13.jpg

Above: All aboard!
N.B. Looking for another creative instant guest bedroom idea? See An Instant Guest Bedroom—Made from Canvas.
EXPLORE MORE: Issue 40: North by Northwest, House Call, Maine
urvival.com/1959-chevrolet-viking-bus-tiny-home/#.UgfdF1fHa3g[/URL]

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Holy fuck that's amazing! I'm going to take a few pointers from this for my next bus

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
ugh...fucking hippies. i don't know what would be more annoying hitchin a ride on that jalopy ------having to listen to a barrage of metaphysical discussions from some college kid trustafarian tryin to emulate ken kessey, while stopping at every organic permaculture fruit stand along the way........or sitting on some pachoulli infused, lice infested upholstery with some mangy mutt scratching its fleas all over my feet, while my ears are bleeding to the continuous blare of grateful dead tunes the whole ride there.... ::rules::

Reactions: Doobie_D

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
well...okay...i admit......i love fruit stands and the dead ::woot::

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads