Australia / NZ book recommendations | Squat the Planet

Australia / NZ book recommendations

mutiny mark

Reaction score
I am thinking of sailing out to NZ and Australia next year, and I'm looking for some book, zine, and movie recommendations from the locals to familiarize myself with the regional context. Thus far, I've read Tony Horwitz's 'One For the Road' (awesome) as well as a very thick, academic history of the region with a slight left / Marxist sort of slant (not nearly as dry as it could have been).

I guess what I'm looking for are local histories of hobos, social movements, punk rock, squatting, land occupations, indigenous movements, anarchism, environmental activism, wobblies, and anything else along similar lines. Is there an Aussie equivalent to 'A People's History of the United States'?

Thanks!

245T

Reaction score
you should watch once were warriors, gives you a nice slice of new zealand life. drinking crate bottles and wife beating.
the penguin history of new zealand by micheal king is really really good, it goes with the territory that histories of entire countries are somewhat lacking in depth, but its a good introduction to new zealand history.

oh and if you are into trains a few years back tv series called off the rails was made where the presenter goes round all of the old railroad communties of new zealand. pretty sweet

Eviscerate

Reaction score
you should watch once were warriors, gives you a nice slice of new zealand life.

hey man thats pretty fucking offensive. that, like in any country, is a small slice of what happens in our country but you are seriously deluded if you think that its is a good representation of our country as a whole.

If you need any questions answered about new zealand id be glad to answer them but sorry i cant think of any decent books.

Critical Rupture

Reaction score
Regarding Australia...

How to make trouble and influence people |

So I've never read the book, though skipped through it. I've heard really good stuff about it, and I think it's based on some old school zine I've seen at my local radical library. Some of my friends are in it even! Haha.

And of course, gimme a yell if y'all ever come this way. Even if I don't come on this site so much.

245T

Reaction score
hey man thats pretty fucking offensive. that, like in any country, is a small slice of what happens in our country but you are seriously deluded if you think that its is a good representation of our country as a whole.

hey man thats a little thing called sarcasim.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads