Aspiring Teenage Bum | Squat the Planet

Aspiring Teenage Bum

DeadbeatDBeat

Reaction score
After a few weeks of reading around and lurking profile-less on this wonderful website, I decided to kick away as much of the nervousness and jitters as I could, and create an account. Here, I just wanted to say, Hey.

I'm Keith, a soon-to-be 18 year old aspiring Teenage Bum, who's been looking into, and wanting to travel for the better part of year now. I'm stuck like a Serf in my hometown in Texas, Gonzales, until this year around fall. While I'd like to find an experienced Hopper or Hiker, or group to tag along with, and learn from, aims also like to learn as much as I can, in the event I have to start on my own. I really look forward to getting to know everyone here, and soaking up all the knowledge I can. Thanks in advance, you Guys!

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Welcome to STP!
Check out the library for usefull infos! :)

• Useful
Reactions: DeadbeatDBeat
A

Adnil

Welcome aboard, my two cents of advice is that unless you're rubber tramping- don't do groups. Less chance of getting picked up if hitching and more of a chance to get caught if you're going the choo choo route.

• Useful

DeadbeatDBeat

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, my two cents of advice is that unless you're rubber tramping- don't do groups. Less chance of getting picked up if hitching and more of a chance to get caught if you're going the choo choo route.
That's kinda' what I was thinking, for the Train-hopping. I'd preferably like to find one or two People to go with.

AtlasTheHobo

Reaction score
hopping is something that, in order to do correctly, should preferably be done once you have been on one with someone that knows the trains and tracks good enough to show you what to look for. It's not too hard though once you get the hang of it. The main thing to watch out for is the bulls (railroad police), if you catch the trains when they are stopped at a siding or a yard, not moving, you reduce the chance of getting hurt also. Like @Adnil said, moving with more than three people (and/or dogs) can be obvious to anyone looking close enough, if you do it in a sensible and common sense fashion(i.e.-not all jumping on at once, spread out when you get on, and spread out when you camp, etc.) If I didn't have a camper I would show you the ropes, I'm no expert, but I have enough years under my belt to know where I'm going on one. Can't really help you out on the hitch hiking portion of traveling, look at me, people don't even bat me a second glance when it comes to the thumb. Also, like @Carl Wander said, the library is packed with useful info, so I would check that out too. Since you are in Gonzales, I would try to get to San Antonio and see if you can find any travelers that you could chill with while they are in town and get knowledge from for a little bit, as well as on here too. I know I talk too much on here, but I'm really pretty quiet in real life. Compensation, I guess. Welcome aboard! Glad you joined.

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
After a few weeks of reading around and lurking profile-less on this wonderful website, I decided to kick away as much of the nervousness and jitters as I could, and create an account. Here, I just wanted to say, Hey.

I'm Keith, a soon-to-be 18 year old aspiring Teenage Bum, who's been looking into, and wanting to travel for the better part of year now. I'm stuck like a Serf in my hometown in Texas, Gonzales, until this year around fall. While I'd like to find an experienced Hopper or Hiker, or group to tag along with, and learn from, aims also like to learn as much as I can, in the event I have to start on my own. I really look forward to getting to know everyone here, and soaking up all the knowledge I can. Thanks in advance, you Guys!
Right on Bro! Hobo'n it is one of the greatest experiences you can ever have, if you go into it with the right mind state. You are on a site like this asking advice from those who know what's what, so that is a great start. Once you get a reasonably clear idea of what it will be like out here, the next step is to just get to it.

So why did you decide you want to travel?

DeadbeatDBeat

Reaction score
@Leocalifornya Waaaayyy late response, but I just now saw the reply.

I could give you the whole "Romanticised Modern Hobo" spiel that my brain pieced together from listening to Punk, and hearing drunken Crusties ramble on at shows. But I'm pretty sure you'd rather do without. I just wanna' live the adventure. See the country, meet People, sleep under the stars, be cold, hungry, miserable, and free. I guess that was kiiind of along the lines of the spiel, after all, lol.

Reactions: EphemeralStick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads