Appalachian Mountian Hobos

Current Location
Fontana, CA
Reactions
93% 0% 7%
I've never been further east of Nevada but the place that interests me the most is the Appalachian Mountains. The green, the people, the music, seems like a cool place to roll through. Anyone ever been? What is the hopping like over there? Any good stories to tell?

bushhippie

Previously crisywantstorunaway
Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
i live in alabama, the bottom end of it. its a beautiful place. you just gotta be able to stand some major humidity. you may be used to heat, but you basicly are drinking the air here

OP
OP
Trooper
Current Location
Fontana, CA
Reactions
93% 0% 7%
i live in alabama, the bottom end of it. its a beautiful place. you just gotta be able to stand some major humidity. you may be used to heat, but you basicly are drinking the air here
I grew up in Maui so im kind of used to island humility which can get about 70% how does that compare to Alabama?(obviously besides the fact that one is an island :D)

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
yea we get over 100 degrees with really high humidity.
it feels like hell. but my advice, drink water thats room temprature when your extremely hot, stay in a fan out of the sun. a body in motion tends to stay in motion, unless its in alabama

OP
OP
Trooper
Current Location
Fontana, CA
Reactions
93% 0% 7%
yea we get over 100 degrees with really high humidity.
it feels like hell. but my advice, drink water thats room temprature when your extremely hot, stay in a fan out of the sun. a body in motion tends to stay in motion, unless its in alabama
Thanks for the tip! Ill have to write you if ever make it out to bama

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
yea please do, im around birmingham

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
silver city, new mexico
Reactions
87% 0% 13%
It's probably the best region to get cheap land and homestead. Northern Arkansas and southern Missouri share that hillbilly culture too. Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia are my favorite places in the Appalachian region. It's the heart of bluegrass and really the best people you will meet out east. Unfortunately the prevailing culture is blatantly racist in those places and they would probably not be as generous to non white people. North Carolina is a bit different and is the most liberal part of the hillbilly region and has the most travelers. The northern appalachians like Vermont and New Hampshire are more universally accepting places that are also worth visiting in the summer.

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
Now we are talking about my neck of the woods. Out of all the favorite places I've traveled to and explored, Train hopping and hitch hiking through Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia and all the states surrounding Tennessee. The Appalachian and blue ridge mountains are breath taking.

There are little unforgotten towns all through out that area and the locals are very friendly folk. I learn something new every time I pass through that area and never get sick of exploring it.

It is so refreshing to hear someone mention it because most people on this site seem to be obsessed with only the west. The west is beautiful as well however there is beauty and wonder through out the united states, feel that sometimes people over look that.

Keep us posted friend and keep on keeping on. Safe travels.

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
@Hobo Mud consider visiting the oldest actual town in Bama. Blount Springs. tons of history. you can go out in the creeks and look for old blue glass. If your into haunted locations, theres a road called Jack Cole Road that is pretty scary. My babysitter when i was a kid lived on that road. There was a hospital once down there that burned down. Several murders and suicides. An old "witch lady" was found practicly mummified down there. actually my great grandmother was really young when it happened and she remembers more about it than the historians. Theres a cave that had a speak easy in it. Theres sulpher springs, and my favorite place, a long train tunnel that i like to climb on top of to watch trains come through. Sadly they dont stop there but it is really fun to walk around. and theres little coves inside the tunnel for maintance workers to hide in if they were to get stuck in the tunnel while a train came through. and on the far side of the tunnel is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Long story shory, you have to come see this place!

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
crisywantstorunaway I will certainly keep this on my bucket list of things to explore. Just hopped from Eastland TX to Memphis TN. Heading to Nashville as we speak.

I am very interested in visiting the area you mentioned in the future. Going to rest up a spell, visit friends, earn some jingle in my pocket, drink some good southern moon shine and relax.

Last edited:

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
@Hobo Mud consider visiting the oldest actual town in Bama. Blount Springs. tons of history. you can go out in the creeks and look for old blue glass. If your into haunted locations, theres a road called Jack Cole Road that is pretty scary. My babysitter when i was a kid lived on that road. There was a hospital once down there that burned down. Several murders and suicides. An old "witch lady" was found practicly mummified down there. actually my great grandmother was really young when it happened and she remembers more about it than the historians. Theres a cave that had a speak easy in it. Theres sulpher springs, and my favorite place, a long train tunnel that i like to climb on top of to watch trains come through. Sadly they dont stop there but it is really fun to walk around. and theres little coves inside the tunnel for maintance workers to hide in if they were to get stuck in the tunnel while a train came through. and on the far side of the tunnel is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Long story shory, you have to come see this place!
Thank you for that information.

Human

Wayfarer
Current Location
Asheville, NC
Reactions
97% 3% 0%
Crisy, I enjoy reading your writings. Well put! Thanks for your contributions!

Current Location
San Francisco
Reactions
96% 4% 0%
I've never been further east of Nevada but the place that interests me the most is the Appalachian Mountains. The green, the people, the music, seems like a cool place to roll through. Anyone ever been? What is the hopping like over there? Any good stories to tell?

Current Location
San Francisco
Reactions
96% 4% 0%
I grew up most of my life and my family has many a generation there. Yes the appalachians are awesome, the folks very friendly and often funny as hell. But there's a dark history there of coal, coal as a tool to suppress folks, which included often violence. Coal, which esp in my home town of Wise and that county, is responsible for heavy pollution, ruining some of the most complex ecological systems in the east....the apps were once taller than the himalayas and very ancient.
Tho there's most def a racist problem there, many are more open minded than you'd expect. This comes from a history very diff from the south in general. Slaves were nearly unheard of in these parts. Most were subsistence farmers, many were escaped from forced servitude themselves. Go! You'll have a fab time.

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
I grew up most of my life and my family has many a generation there. Yes the appalachians are awesome, the folks very friendly and often funny as hell. But there's a dark history there of coal, coal as a tool to suppress folks, which included often violence. Coal, which esp in my home town of Wise and that county, is responsible for heavy pollution, ruining some of the most complex ecological systems in the east....the apps were once taller than the himalayas and very ancient.
Tho there's most def a racist problem there, many are more open minded than you'd expect. This comes from a history very diff from the south in general. Slaves were nearly unheard of in these parts. Most were subsistence farmers, many were escaped from forced servitude themselves. Go! You'll have a fab time.

and meth, dont forget meth is a vice on the pople of poverty in the mountains/the south

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I was somewhere in the smokey mountains when I was like... ten or eleven? For a family vacation... (for the short time stuff was not stupid) On the Tennessee side I believe.
Thank you first TN, foist time I drank beer and first time I ever walked into a HeAd shop. lol

::cigar::

Current Location
San Francisco
Reactions
96% 4% 0%
and meth, dont forget meth is a vice on the pople of poverty in the mountains/the south
Dude! This drug is a friggin scourge and seems to be hitting all rural areas, just as hard in SE Cali as our neck of the woods. If there's a drug more destructive than heroin, meth is it. Why anyone would think of putting chemicals in your system that produces toxic waste sites beats me. Ya, I heard my hillbilly's got hit hard by the shit and that sucks. Bigtime

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
silver city, new mexico
Reactions
87% 0% 13%
I agree with @coyote mogollon that mining (and specifically mountaintop removal that started in the 70's) is the most tragic part of Kentucky and West Virginia. I don't mean to talk bad abot the region, because it is one of my favorite places. But if you look at the satellite images you will notice that there is hardly a single waterway in that region which isn't polluted by the refuse of mountain top removal. Yet those satellite images only show the surface mines, in reality almost every hill in eastern Kentucky and West Virginia has been touched by mining. From historic maps of the region, practically every single waterway has been exposed to the dumping of these heavy metals that will remain for generations. Here is a map of the mines which contained high levels of selenium which have been one of the most destructive forces to Kentuckys waterways:
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fappvoices.org%2Fimages%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F07%2FKY_SE_seams.jpg

If you wanted to survive eating only fish from the rivers up there, you would eventually succumb to the pollution. President Trump recently got rid of the only regulation that protected the creeks which required dirt mounds to filter mine tailings before they flowed into the creeks.

Last edited:
Current Location
Huntington, WV
Reactions
70% 0% 30%
Yeah, it's the area I'm from and sitting in right now. West Virginia is the only State that is entirely in Appalachia. I like to refer to myself as an "Appalachian American" when I travel just for fun. But as many here quote the state slogan, "Almost Heaven" they whisper after that......"and damn near Hell". The post above this do a pretty fair job of describing it here. First it was timber and later coal that kept the people in the "Colonial Economy" that exist here. The industries here are mainly extractive and the money from the natural resources goes to northern banks and pocket books. Little is reinvested here and young people leave as soon as they can go in the military or marry someone who will take them away from here.

It was always ironic to me the number of Hollywood Stars and Entertainers who had secret places here to come and unwind. Bob Denver "Gilligan" of Gilligan's Island TV fame was one of them.

But those moving here may be financially able to live the good life and enjoy the scenic beauty of the area. They just quietly go about life and are often unnoticed. I used to speak with Johnny Paycheck of "country music fame" down at my local grocery store. I wasn't the star struck type and just related to him as a guy who made music. He liked it here quite well.

I live along the Ohio Valley where Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia all meet together. It's Bible Belt here with a lot of Universities and specialty schools. It wouldn't give anyone a True picture of the whole area. There are so many regions here that are unique unto themselves.

But when you say Appalachia you're talking about a big area that cuts across many eastern states.

Regions-of-United-States-Map.mediumthumb.png

This is how Appalachia fits into the big picture.