Anyone run with a Honda Odyssey? (1 Viewer)

Current Location
USA - New England
Anyone live out of a Honda Odyssey? I’ve been driving one since high school and it’s a 2009 model at 160k miles and still going. Although it’s clearly at the end of its days after a bunch of accidents. Still works and I drive it daily but it’s a senior now and ongoing repairs are going to start going up a lot the more I have it.

Yet I like it so much I honestly just want another Odyssey to use for van life. It’s more stealth and easier to park than a big van, I’m really familiar with it’s driving and am going for something of a minimalist build so am okay with not having the space to make something too bougie (couldn’t afford it anyway).

A lot of builds I see involve stripping most of the interior and insulating it. How necessary is this really? What’re trade offs if I don’t? I took a minute to look at the ceiling today and recognized I’d be messing with a lot of stuff if I rip up the ceiling (I have less worries about the floor).

Specific advice appreciated, videos and pictures too!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
Current Location
Somewhere On Spaceship Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
I’ve got a Honda Odyssey 04 that I lived out of...It’s starting to look as if it’s turning to a money pit...
You see a lot of fancy things people do to their rigs but it’s all unnecessary
In terms of insulation, I never did anything to mine.
Living in a van or Rv you are more exposed to the elements no matter what. It comes with the territory. You could try n throw money for heaters insulation and such things, but then you’re losing the fun & simplicity of the whole lifestyle. Living this way, at least for me anyway-was to downsize my life and adding more complication installations increase the frustration of needless stress..which you don’t need to add any more stress to your life, than there already is(or isn’t ). Not having a home base can wear on you as it..
But having that level of freedom and flexibility of living mobile, there will come sacrifice of discomfort you have to embrace—Extreme cold & extreme heat

Now I’m living in a ram Pro-master and after having the luxury of a high top I can’t imagine going back to something smaller as being able stretch and stand up is huge + living in a minivan put a strain on my back/posture but pros and cons with everything

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
What kind of maintenance are you looking at right now? If it needs a full suspension overhaul you can do it yourself for $500 or less plus an alignment. Are you mechanically inclined?

The accidents may be the real issue though if its real rough looking.

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
There are a few van dweller sites around. Never heard one person say anything other than that it is very important to spend some money on insulation. That, from people who live full time in them.

OP
Lotus Shaped Potato
Current Location
USA - New England
what year is yours? looks like a pretty decent ride. what's the mpg like?
Mine is 2009! Honestly can’t remember if my family bought it used or new. I’ve never really tracked MPG, so I’d have to look it up. Not as amazing as a Prius not as bad as a big RV.
What kind of maintenance are you looking at right now? If it needs a full suspension overhaul you can do it yourself for $500 or less plus an alignment. Are you mechanically inclined?

The accidents may be the real issue though if its real rough looking.
TPMS light has been on for months, recently had something pop off the engine which was apparently an easy fix (Honda Shop didn’t even charge for it). Have had the check engine light go on and off a few times in the last two years but without a clear reason why.

It’s real rough looking oh yea. A bunch of giant scratches and gouges in it, one of the automatic doors is no longer automatic due to an accident a few years ago, front bumper sides are held on with screws and tape (failed inspection once from it hanging off). Whatever thingy is on the bottom of the bumper fell off at some point, made an irritating dragging noise for a while before we cut it off. A side panel has started to pull off, as well as parts of the rear bumper, some big dents and such.

Water tends to collect in the body somewhere during rain and slowly drain out over time. Honesty it’s great for avoiding getting robbed at least and hasn’t caught on fire yet.
Living in a van or Rv you are more exposed to the elements no matter what. It comes with the territory. You could try n throw money for heaters insulation and such things, but then you’re losing the fun & simplicity of the whole lifestyle. Living this way, at least for me anyway-was to downsize my life and adding more complication installations increase the frustration of needless stress..which you don’t need to add any more stress to your life, than there already is(or isn’t ). Not having a home base can wear on you as it..
But having that level of freedom and flexibility of living mobile, there will come sacrifice of discomfort you have to embrace—Extreme cold & extreme heat

Now I’m living in a ram Pro-master and after having the luxury of a high top I can’t imagine going back to something smaller as being able stretch and stand up is huge + living in a minivan put a strain on my back/posture but pros and cons with everything
Important to me is the downsizing and simplicity. I think honestly you make a good point regarding the added stress of the setup, not to mention cost. Some things are important IMHO for safety, like making sure heavy objects are secured (rather not have heavy shit flying forward if I get in a crash).

I think contextualizing it within my end goals is important too, as I want to develop further detachment from my body (not caring as much about being hot or cold). I think especially given mobility too it’s not like I’ll be trying to sleep in a snow storm, if at all possible. Honestly I was sort of mentally preparing to spend a few months of work. Yet I think it’d be helpful to identify essential needs and stick to those. Might still rip up the floor just to get a flat surface tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally out n about, heading to London, OH
Thanks to otch0z and Sam for kicking back and keeping is sane in the homestead, hope you had a wicked time!
If for some dumb reason you're in bemidji Minnesota, come see me perform at the hard times! Playing folky stuff with an old road dog
nastynaty wrote on Honey Crust's profile.
Please finish your hitch hiking story... Or just tell us youre alive!!
i've been a waterworld nomad so i don't have to walk.
Jax Katz wrote on Cornelius Vango's profile.
Greetings from a Florida forest dweller !
youtube channel

There's a Cadillac parked outside of my squat.... I should've changed the locks earlier..
Little Rock.....again.....

Members online