Anyone ride motorcycles? (1 Viewer)

Hudson

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Norcal
Got myself an old 2006 1100cc honda shadow with low miles on it. Ive put about 3,000 miles on it this year.

I'm looking for advice on camping out on a motorcycle if anyone has any.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
in medias res
Sorry that is stupid advice -
but every time I've tried to incorporate motorcyclism into my locomotion scheme it has ended in disaster
Test-driving a Kawasaki in Vegas pulling onto the interstate the front tire came off - with a rider on the back
Driving is hazardous enough as it is - why shrink the error margin?
If you wipe out, you're going to get creamed by following traffic - if you survive the wipeout. There you have it

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
in medias res
I was living at a property squatting actually in Venice California in the late 90s and one of the Van Peebles - Max had ditched a Yamaha - The property manager wanted to haul it off but I got an ignition from the junkyard and was able to swap it and fit a key and so that was my death trap for about a month. of course Los Angeles is the worst place on earth to ride a motorcycle
I drove it around unlicensed unregistered uninsured unhelmeted
Thank heaven young people are immortal

OP
Hudson

Hudson

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Norcal
I tend to stay away from traffic, its hard in northern California area but very doable.

The one thing I'm taught as a commercial driver I always try to follow is the 5 keys of the Smith driving system.

Truth be told though about 70% of motorcycle accidents are just the rider and the bike not any outside parties. Sure I ride like a psychopath sometimes but not all the time.

James Meadowlark

Sonic Reducer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Gainesville, United States
My current ride is an eleven year-old Triumph Bonneville 865cc that I mostly use for commuting. Way better on gas than a car, and far easier to find parking around town. In the last five years, I've camped (short term) for different motorcycle events/festivals around FLA- Just pop my gear in a backpack and go.

Groundscore

Lurker
Current Location
Southern Arizona
Pack light and tight, and make sure you have the ability to keep things dry. - That includes yourself.

Take a few short trips first, to get the feel of what you need/don't need and see how things ride. You'll quickly learn better ways of packing stuff from experience.

Bungee cords are your friend, just don't count on a single one, and don't lose an eye to one, and I will add if you have the money, ROK straps are much better.

Watch out for vehicles, as trust me, they won't be watching for you, ever.

Keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up.

george990

Rambler
Current Location
Arizona
img_20190807_192854-jpg.52555_Anyone ride motorcycles?_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_8:51 PM

Bad ass man. I got the same bike as you. Except mine is older. Mines a 98. I've lived in vans. I've lived in houses. I've bicycle toured thru Utah, Oregon and Arizona. And the motorcycle really is the way to go. You don't need much money, insurance is cheap... When I was younger, I travelled 14 different states on a rebel 250... That bike had no balls... I could barely keep up with the cars on the freeways... I didn't care man it had 2 wheels and a motor, so I rode that thing all over the country... I remember coming back from Arkansas one time and the wind was blowing really hard the other direction... I had to find the slowest semi on i40 and ride as close behind it as I could to block the wind...

Anyways, I'm starting crl training litterally next Monday... I'm getting to old to live like a motorcycle hobo... I'm gonna be driving semi trucks pretty soon... And riding my bike on my days off... I can't wait to get my license and start the new job... I'm so excited!!!

Anyways, I wish you the best man! Keep us posted on your travels! I'd love to see pictures...

Current Location
Roseville
I got given a 82 Yamaha maxim 650 ratbike, thing was a shrieking metal suicide machine, and a flying greaseball, but I rode it to sturgis from Austin Texas in a straight shot then up to Seattle, and across all the way to Detroit where it finally broke down. At that point it wasn’t worth the gas it had in the tank, so I just left it on the side of the road, and told a motorcycle shop down the street, gave em the keys and the title and snuck on the greyhound across the road, didn’t look back. All in all I had the time of my life, the plates were wrong, the inspection was out of date, I gas jugged the thing the whole entire way (easiest gas jugging of my life on a motorcycle btw) valve cover gasket was shot so I fed her stolen gas the whole time, I had no drivers license or insurance and I was drunk I think the whole damn way. It was the fucking best.

george990

Rambler
Current Location
Arizona
I got given a 82 Yamaha maxim 650 ratbike, thing was a shrieking metal suicide machine, and a flying greaseball, but I rode it to sturgis from Austin Texas in a straight shot then up to Seattle, and across all the way to Detroit where it finally broke down. At that point it wasn’t worth the gas it had in the tank, so I just left it on the side of the road, and told a motorcycle shop down the street, gave em the keys and the title and snuck on the greyhound across the road, didn’t look back. All in all I had the time of my life, the plates were wrong, the inspection was out of date, I gas jugged the thing the whole entire way (easiest gas jugging of my life on a motorcycle btw) valve cover gasket was shot so I fed her stolen gas the whole time, I had no drivers license or insurance and I was drunk I think the whole damn way. It was the fucking best.
I've left m share of bikes on the side of the road too. Shit happens.. In fact, just last year I was in California on an old 86 honda, and the motor threw a rod and blew a big hole out the front of the motor. I left it right there on the side of the highway and started walking...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$80.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $80.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $80.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.
Happy :) 8 more days till my babe is out <3
2800 k this past week or so on teh vespa!ODIN give me a medal !
Scooped up some dirty kids from the USA at walmart. Glad we caught ya's and had some time to party before you headed out. Safe travels Sasha and Meaghan! You're fucking awesome!
Lovely, and greasy... duh
Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt

Members online