Anyone living near AshFork, AZ or Kaibab Knolls?

Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Website
www.thewanderingweed.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Basically, I am broke AF. I am sick of slaving to put money in other peoples pockets so, I have decided to buy land and leave the city. My wife and I purchased 2.3 acres in northern Arizona near Ash Fork in a subdivision called Kaibab Knolls.

I am looking for info from people living in that area or that have traveled through or camped nearby. I have read online that many squatters are living out in that neighborhood but, couldn't find much from those types. I am looking at building a small cabin to live in but, being broke and having a child and wife to care for as well I can't afford permits. I honestly can't afford to do much but, I really want to keep the land natural and free of buildings.

I am planning on buying a cheap geo metro I can maintain and will at least get me from place to place. The we will be moving out to the land full time. Has anyone been out that way? Can we get by squatting on our land and not be fucked with non stop by police and county inspectors?

Any advice is much appreciated. We are also wanting to help others with similar off grid desires to move to this area. I can help point people to the land which is very affordable.

Coywolf

Craving Freedom
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Haha, funny you mention this. I have been looking at property in the exact same area. I live in Flagstaff, and this sounds like a great area, close to a city (prescott) to live out in the boonies.

What up with utilities? How close are they to the roads out there?

Coywolf

Craving Freedom
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Also, I heard from a sheriffs deputy that crime is increasing in that area and there are LOTS of methheads.

That wouldn't scare me away though.

OP
OP
wanderingweed
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Website
www.thewanderingweed.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Utilities are non existent probably cost 70k plus to bring power to most lots. You must haul water from public wells. There are okay roads 4x4 or slow going by car.

The meth heads don't scare me either. I don't plan on having stuff for them to steal. I also plan on buying a cheap 20GA before I head out there. BLM land is within a walkable distance.

You should check it out about 5k financed for 2.5 acres

Current Location
Saint Johns, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Basically my understanding is pull up a trailer and call it good. Everything else is an outbuilding. Just keep your car running. I'm even further out, on the other side of Flagstaff. And yeah secure your stuff from what I hear.

OP
OP
wanderingweed
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Website
www.thewanderingweed.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Why do you say keep the car running? I honestly plant to keep most of my solar and electronics on or in my car just so, I never leave any valuables on the property.

Are you doing something similar out that way? Do you have any tips?

Current Location
Saint Johns, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Yeah you can squat on your land, with little chance of being bothered. Set up a greenhouse or privacy fence, and you won't bug any neighbors. Having a trailer is for long term residence, and I think you can do an outhouse instead of septic if the municipality ever required it. Sound like you have a solid plan for keeping a car maintained, I just meant that will be your biggest priority, and expense if it is not maintained. Yeah I'm out there, doing the same thing.

OP
OP
wanderingweed
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Website
www.thewanderingweed.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Dope, thanks for your reply man! That's good news.

I am actually not really planing on a trailer but a 8x8 "shed"/ cabin. I do plan on putting up some cattle and barbed wire fencing around the about 2500 sq ft. With lots of hedges and trees for cover. I kind of want to be stealth just for sake of privacy.

Yeah, the car seems like a very important piece of the puzzle. I have a Blazer now but, parts are expensive and it is a pretty big heavy vehicle. I think a GEO metro is probably the easiest cheapest to maintain vehicle I can find here in the US. They have a lot of cool Electric and Hybrid conversions you can do as well.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you do for food out that way? Are you hunting or using the BLM lands in anyway?

Current Location
Three Points, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I've been looking near Ash Fork as well, though I haven't looked at kaibab knolls. I've also been seeing some places in Navajo and Apache counties near Snowflake and concho.
I haven't been there yet but I'm planning to check them both out this summer. I've heard a lot of rumors too but I'm just going to see for myself.