Anyone know about living on boats?

anyways

Reaction score
Someday when I'm done ridin` trains I want to learn how to build my own boat... Figured that'd be a good rent free, mobile way of life....

I am aware however that places charge shit tons of money to dock at ports... and was wondering if there's like some underground community of people who live on the water and have cheaper ports or somethin...

I dunno. Any word?

tree hopper

Reaction score
i have a friend who has a small sailboat in san diego who he went in on the docking cost or whatever with another guy so between the both of them its like 50-100 each a month i think i forget, but its pretty fucken sweet from what hes told me and ive stayed on it a few times its like enuff room for one or two ppl, so for one person idk totally made me consider wanting to look into something like that. but if u want i can find out more details like about the charges and docking and other fees or other bullshit you might have to worry about. like anything specifically you'd wanna know or basically what has already been asked/covered? feel free to pm me too if ya want.

crow

Reaction score
I squated on an old run-down boat. the cops will areest you if they catch you taking a piss or shitting in the water. And we got kicked out of a lot of spots. Eventually a storm came and washed our boat away. But luckily we were on land gathering supplies.

anyways

Reaction score
but if u want i can find out more details like about the charges and docking and other fees or other bullshit you might have to worry about. like anything specifically you'd wanna know or basically what has already been asked/covered? .

That'd be awesome, man....Any information is awesome cause I'm not quite sure where to start...

tree hopper

Reaction score
ok not problem. give me like a day or two to get a hold of my friend cos' he's slow at responding phone calls then i'll let ya know what he tells me and i'll just post on this thread as soon as i can k

tree hopper

Reaction score
heya my friend texted me, buts some didnt come thru but so far this is what i've got, hes gunna try an email me info. so its more detailed n' stuff...

boat advice: look up marinas online in whatever area you are lookin' at. callin' em' is the best way to find out info specifically cuz each place can be different/have different regulations,fees,etc..
keep in mind: -cost more to live aboard; charge by foot of the boat
- if on a buoy up to $600/year- if not docked
- ask about live aboard costs cuz they differ.
-easy to find cheap or even free fixer uppers if thats the way you wanna go and not buy- he found his on craigslist
- if going in with someone half and half make sure they are legit, u trust em' all the normal shit u should be cautious of cos' if it works out its alot cheaper (tho' boat livin' costs arent a whole lot to begin with) or if you find someone who wants to go in but not necessarily live on it
......kinda cut out after this and only got partial texts so yea sorry but i'll wait for his email then post it after i get it. he had some info. about ways it could be almost completely free.

tree hopper

Reaction score
hold fast is sick ive seen it a few times. really like it.

tree hopper

Reaction score
pm'd ya let me know if ya get it

tree hopper

Reaction score
san diego..... mission bay right now more specifically. yeah all the marinas have different rates and live aboard rates are all different they usually charge by each foot of the boat.

makan kotoran

Reaction score
I don't know If you can in the states..
But in Australia we can just drop anchor and tie up in rivers or just at random other spots offshore.
and don't have to pay anything, and if you have a dingy/rowboat you don't really need to go to marinas anyway.

Dmac

Reaction score
i recently saw a show and they mentioned a homeless place on the west coast of florida. it was called waterworld by the locals cuz the homeless there gathered old derilect boats from the marinas and squated on them. the show mentioned that there were lots of old fiberglass boats that were just left by the owners when the cost of maintaining them was too much for what the boat was worth. some of the boats were of good size, houseboats and cabin crewsers. it made me think about doing it too.

freakstorm

Reaction score
i know a lot of really big marinas have a few abandoned boats that they are just as happy to give away, providing you move them. My friend got an old 1930's beautiful boat with a brand new engine for free. The previous owners just didn't have the time to finish fixing up the boat. He was able to drive (?) it out of the marina that day and took it across SF bay and worked on it. Up the Petaluma river there are areas where folks just park their boats and live feral. I'd love to be a sail punk one day. I saw a group of kids on an old schooner in Bodega one time....ahhh, just dreamy.

Dmac

Reaction score
i think that matt posted a video on here once called "the anarchist navy" is was kind of interesting

left52side

Reaction score
I don't know If you can in the states..
But in Australia we can just drop anchor and tie up in rivers or just at random other spots offshore.
and don't have to pay anything, and if you have a dingy/rowboat you don't really need to go to marinas anyway.
You can fo this in the states very easily.
I am currently tring to save money for a boat to live on right herein my home town.
I can moore up in any numerous bays located around here and stay indefinatly with no penalties.
I have done quite a bit of research on the matter and as it stands now as long as your vessel is up to "code" then there isnt a problem..
Kind of like camping in national forests in some areas though,where they require you to move several miles from timee to time.
Although I think the time frame is in monthes not weeks.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Living off the chain" is taking fast all over with the decline of jobs and the rise of prices of everything and thus it is getting more and more strictly controlled.
Marinas across the country are clamping down on their 10% rule/law (usually its state, county or city law to have no more than 10% of vessels at moorage being occupied) and usually 10 years or older and under 25 feet are not acceptable in marinas or livaboard.
If you can talk them into letting you rent a slip and are caught living aboard you face fines, impoundments and even possibly arrest - more so you can be blacklisted from entire regions for such unruly practices. For example I am not allowed to posses a boat in the Oakland estuary the fucking artsy hipster trustafarians will call the law on me and fuck my shit up if I try to start up a homebase of any kind. thease people do not forget people easily, 'specially if you stand out as potentially dangerous to the way of life.
IF you can manage its far better than living in a car, squatting or housing. There is less laws on the waters while titleing, registering and insuring is almost alwase compulsory it can be overlooked as long as you appear presentable (I.e., not flying a jolly roger, pissing off the side of your boat, drunken screaming at all hours - etc.,) LOW PROFILE!!!
ALSO because of the financial state of the world more and more boats are being scuddled and abandoned. Johnny proper and Jane Doe rather than paying 1000's every year for mooring and insurance on top of property taxes and such on there two house and 5 cars will quietly make that 33 foot sloop disappear by taking it out one Sunday afternoon and holing the hull with an axe or improvised charges, maybe a shotgun to the interior hull and dinghy it back to shore or they might pump it full of water and claim it sunk of accidental causes and reap 100's of 1000's of dollars in insurance payoffs, this is why you will not hear of free or near free boats - its all real hush hush I have already outlined all this in my age old and super controversial thread Modern day piracy and crew poll.
As for underground pirate ports, well you have to sail to them stumbling uppon them by mistake or you have to know someone who knows something I know this guy that has connections in the Caribbean and I know some people up in Alaska and they would not make a show of there lifestyle on this site or any other for fear of what we would call "oogles" blowing up spots and making shitstorms materialize. these are for the most part people with money who choose to shit overboard rather than moor and flush their tanks to save a buck they are elitist fucktards and will rather than help you call the harbor patrol on you - imagine if every other rail ryder was to do that?
Plus if you have any semblance of realistic intet on being a sailor see this thread if you have not already, Me and cranberrydavid have properly outlined the reality of this endevour - http://squattheplanet.com/diy-die/squatting-alternative-housing/14047-sailboats.html#post104739
as for learning lingo and such see sailing anarchy.com they are about the closest to boat StP as I know of in existence. Plus if you want some water experience go to any harbor and talk to people ask them stupidly as it might sound to you and them if you can go sailing with them, more than likely if they don't wanna take you they can point you in the right direction, just don't tell them that you want to get a boat of your own that makes you sort of an enemy!

H

hamikman

Anyone know about living on boats? -- Yes. I live on a 20' sailboat in British Columbia. Its very common here. I can't give you advice on laws and ports etc because they will be different where you are. However I can give you some basic practical advice. Its true there are free or near to free boats available. People get divorced, lose jobs, lose interest, whatever and the first thing to go is the toys. Some people just want them out of thier lives because theyre more work than they thought (take a lesson here). Look on craigslist and places like that. If your going to buy a boat the best advice I can give you is don't buy one too big or too complicated. TRUST ME ON THIS but I guess its a different if someone just gives you a boat. The smaller - the better (within reason). Kinda like a pack-don't you feel sorry for the bozo with the 60lb pack? If you a get a big boat that draws lots of water you limit yourself to where you can gunkhole (a term meaning getting into shallow out of the way little bays and anchoring). Big boats cost more money down the road EXPONENTIALLY. Little boats are easy to look after and require less money. My 20' boat is almost always the smallest liveaboard wherever I go but it is set up sweet-woodstove,12v and kerosene lights,portapotty(no thru hull for pumpout toilet). Nice and simple and legal too. If you're going to live on it ie its your home don't get so small you cant standup. You'll ikely have to get about 25' to stand up-mine is unusually spacious for 20'. Its a pacific seacraft flicka if you want to google that and see what it looks like. Boats that go real cheap are the high production models like catalina 27s etc. Go to some marinas and look for boats for sale. If they'll allow you walk the docks and note ones with signs. The more abandoned and unmaintained they look the better your chances of getting real cheap. Virtually every marina I've been in (many) has had examples of this. Also note the ones without signs that are rough and maybe the marina will give contact info. If you're going down to the marinas try not to look too punk etc. They likely won't let you on the docks. People that live aboard in marinas are paranoid about theft and for a good reason too. There's almost always a for sale list on the marinas bullitin board but they'll likely be asking more than you're prepared to pay. About building your own boat-a grand and noble idea and it happens quite frequently but by people that really know what they're doing and what they want. Life is short. I suggest if you really want to do this find a cheap boat and enjoy. If you get real serious about it you'll soon discover that your first boat isn't exactly what you want and you'll have a load of experience to pick out your next boat. Try not to extend yourself on the first one as its likely going to be a trial. One other thing regarding marinas-don't waste your time looking at yacht clubs and talking to those assholes-and after you get your boat try to stay away from those fucks because THEY ARE FUCKS. Oh and another thing-I know it doesn't have the cache etc but fibreglass is way easier to maintain than wood. Ya its plastic but its quite forgiving of neglect compared to wood. You want to be living not maintaining I assume. Typically people with small boats enjoy them more and more often than people with big boats. I've owned 3 major boats in my life starting with 37' to 24' and now 20'- no regrets on the 20 footer.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads