Anyone hear play/listen to Classical/Flamenco guitar music? Recommend me a song(s) (1 Viewer)

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
Now, I understand a lot of travelers/hobos/tramps/what-have-you favor the punk/folk-punk/metal/bluegrass/jam band genres ---and I like/play a majority of those styles too. However, lately I've been getting more interested in classical guitar music (and some flamenco as well).

Sure, I love to play rowdy songs about drinking, traveling, trains, etc....but as a busker - I'm always looking to expand my repertoire. Sometimes (depending on the locale or audience) playing classical or other "softer" styles will suit the mood better. I've come to learn some crazy new fingerings/chords from playing classical/jazz that you just won't find in the typical I, IV, V progressions of a lot of bluegrass/punk/etc.

So can anyone recommend me some classical/flamenco guitar pieces to learn?

This is the last one I learned:
And these are the 2 main ones I've been working on next by J.S. Bach and Andres Segovia:

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not talented enough to replicate those performnces.
But... it is nice to listen to them.

Last edited:

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
en route
Have you met the Master?

Rowdy jam bands; bluegrass, newgrass, alt-, etc......Culture being what it is, I can hardly stand around and offer critiques based on aesthetic tastes...BUT

I swear to you if I hear Wagon Wheel, Mustang Sally, The Thrill is Gone, or ANYTHING by Jimmy Buffett or Bob Marley ever again I'll f-in flip the F out.

Essentially, tourist towns attract a certain genre of ''party" atmosphere I'd prefer to never experience again. Music is not a whore to commodify and use to encourage greedy tourists to get drunk and spend money. It is a Muse, and as such should be respected as sacred.

On a lighter note, Albeniz is my favorite of all time...and I have been lucky enough to discover the Peruvian and Venezuelan traditions lately. :)

Last edited:
OP
iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
Have you met the Master?

Rowdy jam bands; bluegrass, newgrass, alt-, etc......Culture being what it is, I can hardly stand around and offer critiques based on aesthetic tastes...BUT

I swear to you if I hear Wagon Wheel, Mustang Sally, The Thrill is Gone, or ANYTHING by Jimmy Buffett or Bob Marley ever again I'll f-in flip the F out.

Essentially, tourist towns attract a certain genre of ''party" atmosphere I'd prefer to never experience again. Music is not a whore to commodify and use to encourage greedy tourists to get drunk and spend money. It is a Muse, and as such should be respected as sacred.

On a lighter note, Albeniz is my favorite of all time...and I have been lucky enough to discover the Peruvian and Venezuelan traditions lately. :)

Thanks for sharing man! I've always wanted to learn Asturias but I need to grow out my fingernails and get a nylon string before I attempt that. It will probably frustrate me to all hell trying to learn it tho until I get it up to the speed it should be. I love the Peruvian/Venezuelan stuff you posted as well! Thank you

OP
iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
Its actually good to learn a more professional set. Once upon a time I met an old hobo guy that would get work playing at fancy restaurants in upscale towns and make good money doing it.
I hear you there. I don't know if anyone has the same problem as me - but I have no problem playing on the street while hundreds of strangers walk by, but get me up on a stage and I start to choke. Something about having the spotlight on me, I don't like. Even playing at an open mic, I just can't do it. Something I need to work on I guess.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
en route
Try this. I call it "Go-Go Juice".
1. 2 mg clonazepam
2. 2 ml lime syrup
3. Jigger Grenadine
4. 1 ml absinthe
5. MDA to taste.
6. 8 oz club soda
Now go to town!

Primitive

Rambler
Current Location
san jose, ca
Ive been getting huge into flamenco lately, both listening and playing. Check out sabicas, and also flo 6x8 an anarchist group in spain that uses flamenco. Occupying banks with revolutionary song and dance and such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $15.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $15.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $15.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $15.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Wowzers I'm glad I was off the site for duration The Pronoun Thread, as it's been titled. Holy shit. I know for a fact I would have gotten sucked into it and I'm not sure if that would've been a good thing lol
48 hours from HELL, lost thirteen hundred dollars, thats a fuckload on a pension! lost two ducks to the heat, the key for teh vespa is goign to cost an unbelievable amount says the cheerful vespa mechanic,and i need two new tyres, a new belt and rollersaswell! the generator died, wake up, the dogs cold and dead besides me and for the icing on the cake, lost my fucking bankcard and the bank tellers was a twat to me!!!ANYONE nearby bring booze and cigs and cheer!!!!FARRRKKKKKKK
On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX
Anyone have tips for cool chill spots dwntwn jacksonville,
Heading up to NYC soon. Gotta start from scratch again and been getting the itch to go somewhere anyways.
Almost to Jax anyone about?
Cinderella castle would make a damn good apocalypse house
A Simple Step Van wrote on snailormoon's profile.
Welcome to the site. Whattaya mean when you say you work with native Californian wildlife? Like, do you get paid for it or is it sarcasm? Curious am I. ~ peace
In the Pcola headed east to Jax then juicing to Salem for halloween
NEW BIBS FUCK YEAH!!