Anyone ever hitched the 84, OR - ID? (1 Viewer)

dumpsternavel

Wayfarer
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Hey y'all. Curious about all of yer experiences that have ever hitched the 84, OR to ID.
I've heard from many that hitchin' through ID is pretty shitty/weird.
But, I'm thinkin' of gettin' out of Portland, and hitting the 84 east into Rupert, which is in Southern Idaho-
It's one hell of a small town, with lots of farm land. So, i'm just trying to be realistic.
I'll also be watchin' the weather, because fuck, ITS HOT. Stay cool out there peeps. It's 107 in Portland today.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Utah
Website
www.youtube.com
It is not 107 in Portland today. I don't believe you.

Ya hitching the I84 is a little more difficult than other routes. Expecially out of Portland. Only get dropped off in The Dalles, Pendleton Boise or twin falls, the rest of the towns on that route are small and hard to get out of, not to mention redneck as fuck and not welcoming. Your not in Portland anymore, Toto.

Give Idaho police a wide berth. Boise tried to outright illegalize homelessNess a few years ago, and bring back vagrant laws. It will be just like anywhere else if your respectful enough.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Last time I hitched in Idaho (many years ago) the police told us we couldn't "solicit" (ie hold thumb out) rides on the highway but you can walk along the highway.

This might be total bs but we hitched anyways and it was fine we just hid our thumbs when a cop passed by.

AAAutin

Wanderer
Current Location
NFA
Last time I hitched in Idaho (many years ago) the police told us we couldn't "solicit" (ie hold thumb out) rides on the highway but you can walk along the highway.
Yep, a statie told me the same.

I did 84 last summer, and found it incredibly easy to get rides—especially through the Idaho portion (lots of Mormons). Oh, and the Umatilla tribes offer free public transit through NE Oregon. (But I don't think pets are allowed, unfortunately. Maybe service animals, I'm not sure.)

pand

Lurker
Current Location
Oregon
From the gathering in oregon i got on 84e catching quick rides in ontario, caldwell, boise, mt home, twin falls, and idaho falls into wyoming. People were very kind to me like in most places i go. Met other hitchhikers in idaho following 84 as well that didnt have anything bad about. I just got a warning for skin heads in coeur d'alene Idaho (north idaho). Thats my 2 cents

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Utah
Website
www.youtube.com
Holy shit. Well I'll be damned. It's cooler than that in the desert of southern utah today.

OP
dumpsternavel

dumpsternavel

Wayfarer
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Badass. Thanks everyone, those were some awesome pointers. Exactly what I was lookin' to find out, really.

Hopefully it goes like a breeze, and I don't turn into roast fuckin' beef. Let alone my dog turning into a baked potato..

@Coywolf I disliked your comment, because that fact about utah being cooler right now really pisses me off.. Shitz ridic.

ZombieBrainz

Lurker
Current Location
Hopland,Ca
The 84 is an easy hitch, although the highway patrol is urging drivers in Idaho to not pick hitchhikers up due to a burglar getting caught hitching on the interstate, it sucks idaho wasn't too friendly to me

Tatanka

Rambler
Current Location
Potter County PA
I hitched And walked it. pretty wild country to camp in, lodging isn't cheap and it isn't great hitching. awesome part of Oregon is walking highways is legal. so cool.

squatterchad

Lurker
Current Location
On the move
I just hitched from I84 east to the 15 then to the seventy into Colorado . But the 84 east leg of it wasn't to bad. Biggs junction is hard to get out of and after that last truck stop its good bit till anything.and the next town is Rufus is like ten miles away and there ain't shit there.the people at the Biggs junction truck stop are cool.espically third shift. And you can fly that entrance and off ramps.Shits kind of a hidden gem for

OP
dumpsternavel

dumpsternavel

Wayfarer
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Website
m.soundcloud.com
The trek went well, and I ended up getting from Portland, OR- Rupert, ID in less than 24 hours. ;)
Fuck yes for people that give you 4 hr. rides.
Beware of getting stuck in Bordman, OR. The truck stop there is in full sun most of the day, where you would manage to try and find a ride, at least.
And camping is sparse. Luckily, if you do get stuck, there's a rest area one exit beyond- where you could get away with camping for a night.
Thanks for everybodies "two-cents" !

Tree Huggin

Current Location
McCall, ID

This might be total bs but we hitched anyways and it was fine we just hid our thumbs when a cop passed by.
Idaho law states that is illegal to solicit for a ride on any pulblicy maintained roadway.
The loop hole is that on ramps are not on the list defined by Road or Highway, rather a ramp in witch to enter onto a Highway.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
silver city, new mexico
You can get around that by not standing on the developed part of the highway.
That is not correct. Due to the way Idaho defines highway in their statutes, you cannot legally hitchhike from any adjacent property including berms. ID is one of a half dozen states with this legislation. Wyoming abolished this statute, legalizing hitchhiking sometime around 2012 but Utah and a number of other states have the restriction.

stormrider66

Current Location
Jackson, GA
Website
backroads66.com
I've hitched 84 between Portalnd and Salt Lake City several times, and never had any problems standing at the ramp trying to get a ride. The onramp by the Love's Travel Stop out near Portland Jetport is usually pretty good. If it's raining, try sticking to the truck stop. Idaho can be hit and miss, but usually not bad....depending on the weather.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back
walking in the forrest playing funeral doom ambient metal on teh headphones, ahh bliss!