Anyone ever gotten the "free ticket out of town"? | Squat the Planet

Anyone ever gotten the "free ticket out of town"?

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Has anyone ever used those legendary programs where the city buys you a bus or even plane ticket to where someone will house you (or at least says so on the phone)?
i recently heard of a guy getting a free plane ticket to hawaii by using nyc's Get The Homeless Out of Here program or whatever it is.

post your experience with where it was and also much of a delay did u have/ how hard was it to get?

also know people who've had the mormons buy them bus tickets ( i guess this is more like simple traveler's aid which i've recieved before0

drunken marauder

Reaction score
Ive used travelers aid and had like shelters or what not buy me bus tickets... I had the cops in PA buy me a bus ticket.. Normally there wasnt much of a delay couple of days at most....

Reactions: blumerang

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
ive had the chance to get bus tickets for us in fayetteville nc to raleigh, where they used urban ministries for greyhounds. at first they had stopped my friend for flying a median and then saw there were three of us and decided to just get us bus tickets. thankfully we got out of fayetteville. not too fun there.

menu

Reaction score
you can do that homeward bound thing at the hayot too. I thought there was an age limit though. like 21 or younger

derailed

Reaction score
Many, many homeless shelters and drop-ins have these programs. I was able to get a free greyhound ride from North Platte to Sioux Falls through "the connection", requires a small amount of paperwork, but otherwise very easy.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
street outreach in la bought me and my boyfreind at the time a bus ticket back to oly cause they called my mother for a place to stay for us.. took us 2 hours to get it and we left the next morning...

murdermittenkid

Reaction score
most salvation armys will give you a ticket if you can call some one have them say you can stay with them.they say its once in a lifetime thing they take all your info down.i got one in missoula mt to glendive mt it was to cold to hitch

Reactions: blumerang

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Damn I tried this the day after Christmas and had the lexington ky baptist church buy me a greyhound ride to wherever i wished. i can't believe i never got more than a free city bus voucher before!
just ask around with the homebums in any city and this probably exists.
Now what I really want is the plane ride to Hawaii, that would be the shit. Train>passengerplane but plane>bus by damn far!

Reactions: salxtina

shaggydope

Reaction score
i got a free bus ticket through the police in Brush, Colorado. they didn't let me pick where i was going though. i ended up in Nebraska somewhere. there i was able to get a ticket to wherever i wanted as long as someone where i was going was able to pick up the phone and say i had shelter. it took about an hour both times and i left the same day in Nebraska.

Nagrom

Reaction score
yeah my friend got one fron sf to fl and she used my sis name. they didnt even ask for her id. and my boyfriend got one outa barstow ca. but the guy at the bus station just gave him one he didnt even have to ask.

Murf

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Did some lookin and found out wilkes-barre dosent have anything like that . Our homeless are part of what makes it great here. Maybe they do , but i highly doubt it , its a poor city. Good to know though , never heard of it intill i first read this so ill be doing research on my future locations

kai

Reaction score
got pulled off in white river ontario and the cops gave me a welfare voucher for a bus ticket to thunder bay....whoohoo from one shit hole to the next!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads