anybody have any advice about sailing in lake superior

neeko

Reaction score
like the smallest boat size that can do it without capsizing with the slightest puff of wind and shite like that? any thought would kick ass

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
My dad lives on the Superior lakehead on the northern tip. He loves this shit. A freind had the idea a few years back...and they have been doing this since. The kayak he build it heavy as hell, hard on the wrists, so he built a sail for it. the kayak is modeled after the Baidarka of the russian Aleutian Islands, and the sail from a Chinese junk. This thing pierces waves, as long as the sail is down, and when worked with a spray skirt, and skills...is pretty seaworthy. i prefer this one over the trimaran style. There are a lot of barges here on the west coast, and i have been thinking of a sort of hitching with a kayak off the rear of one for a while now. Go for it!

zarathustra

Reaction score
I've been sailing my whole life on lake erie and on open ocean, and my advice is to get something with a keel. The Northern great lakes are really suspectible to line squalls (where the wind goes from 0-40kts in seconds b/c of a huge low pressure system), and every time I've experienced them, I've capsized. There's nothing you can do about it in that much wind.

If you've got a keel, you're pretty safe, because of the lower center of gravity. Also, without a keel, the wind will tend to overpower you even if you flatten/reef the sails, and it gets impossible to go upwind b/c of wave action, unless you're a really good sailor. A J-24 or 22 would be a great boat to do a trip in, or something similar. They're pretty stable (I have seen a few broach though). The cost could be really prohibitive. It depends on if you're doing open water-remember, the great lakes are big enough to be considered blue water sailing. Having a nice little outboard is nice, too. A 2hp or something. Having a spinnaker rigged up is great for downwind runs, which you'll be likely to get a lot of.

I could go on and on about this, but I don't really have the time. Having a handheld GPS is a really good thing if you're going offshore too, unless you're really good at dead reckoning, which no one is these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads