anybody got any ideas for cheap knives?? | Squat the Planet

anybody got any ideas for cheap knives??

ray beez

Reaction score
i just gave mine away to a friend, i got it for a dollar in a junk store in NC.i was drunk and they told me they needed it :( i keep going into junk stores around here but i either cant find any or they are too expensive like 100 dollar expensive. im thinking of making a makeshift jabbing tool lol out of a deer antler. anyways a lady gotts to have a shank. anyone got any neat ideas?

Mari3L

Reaction score
Could you settle with a multitool? It will have a knife in it.

I buy Kobalt brand stuff from Lowe's (its their house brand) because if it breaks you can return it to any Lowe's store in the country and get a brand new item without a receipt. LED flashlights, multitools, etc. This has proved to be very useful while traveling about.

The last time I checked they had a Kobalt multitool with a decent sized knife for about $15.

The smaller multitool was around $10

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I could send you good knife for cheaper than retail, but not for $1 cheap.
Depends what kinda knife you want, for what purposes.
Just for fighting/defense, a stabber? Fixed blade, or folding?
I got some of these awesome CRKT M21-14 folding knives. Have yet to see anything better out there.

The thing opens like a switchblade, is super sharp and rounded to a point, has flat and serrated blades, opens large (intimidating) but folds to halfsize, has a safety lock (no danger of folding on your holding hand in combat), is relatively lightweight. AMAZING knife.
Think it sells for $60 (but on these sites it's $90!), would mail it for $35. Yours would be brand new.

Whatever knife you do end up with, I think you gotta practice drawing it, right? Maybe even practice putting it into something somewhat solid, so you don't hesitate or have trouble doing it when necessary in an emergency.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
There's some really nice knives that can be found on ebay for way less than retail price if you have access to it. You might also want to check Craigslist, sometimes some nice stuff shows up in the sporting goods section.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
WAL-MART HAS KNIVES FOR $.97 CENTS. SOMETIMES THEY BREAK THOUGH. IF YOU LOSE THEM NO WORRIES, JUST BUY ANOTHER ONE. THEY ARE GOOD TO USE FOR GENERAL THINGS LIKE OPENING CANS,AND KEEP YOUR $30.OO KNIFE SHARP FOR WHEN YOU REALLY NEED IT.:vader:

shitbagdanny

Reaction score

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
You can also get swedish mora knives from here: Ragnar's Swedish Knife Catalog , where it might be cheaper and has a greater selection, though still not $1 cheap, but you get a blade that is razor sharp and good for carving, stabbing (if you get the plastic handled one), and slashing. I'd suggest a boxcutter if cost is such a huge issue. It might not be great for killing people, but everyone respects that its blade is very sharp. Plus with that, you can go whittle tips on some stakes, either of wood or bamboo.

Or else you could just steal one from a chain or find someone willing to do it for you. Too bad you're not all that close to me, I do have a few knives that I don't really have too much use for- the steel isn't good enough for my standards...

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
Brand isn't a huge deal, but blade steel is. Look at the writing on any blade before you purchase it, if it just says "Stainless Steel" on the bottom of the blade pass on it, these knives are never well made. What you want to look for is a knife that will tell you exactly what type of steel it's made out of, in general these blades are higher quality solely because the manufacturer cares more about the product. A good blade steel for a knife in the $10-$20 range would be "AUS-8" or "440C". You can find blades like that at most truck stops.

If you're able to purchase online I'd suggest checking out "Byrd" knives, this brand is owned by "Spyderco" (best knifemaker out there). The main difference is that Byrd knives are made in China as opposed to the US, so they're much cheaper than their Spyderco counterparts. Most Byrd knives are made from a generic version of AUS-8, and are under $25.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
flea markets are great. gas stations that sell that kind of crap are cheap too.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
You could always make your own jailhouse-shank style, if you really don't want to spend any money. Just get a piece of steel and rub it across the pavement until you have something relatively pointy and jagged (or hell, a shattered piece of glass will do) and wrap it with tape or string. You can always try getting a knife in a decent Chinatown, you can even get the illegal kinds, but not cheap.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Finn's suggestion is a good one. But even thick glass might not be good for traveling, given its fragility. I can see chips and shards being found in your bag, the painful way. Maybe even a flat point being noticed on the 'blade' one day.
Finn, how long do you think it would take by scraping to get a piece of steel into a blade?

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Widerstand said:
Just remember with knives you get what you pay for... That shitty swap meet knife or gas station knife will not hold an edge, and will break if you use it to much.

If you could spend say $30-$50 you could get something of quality that you would be happy with and it would last you a long time.

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble loosing the good ones. The cheap ones seem to stick with me for years, hell they manage to traverse the country multitudes of times and still be with me. But if I shell out the money for a descent knife(or for that matter anything else) it ends up lost or stolen. The cheap ones you can't get rid of, hell you can't even hardly give them away. I just got rid of a ten year supply of them recently, most folks except for the kids don't want them. Say what you will about cheap knives but I'm not going to pay the money for a "good" knife anymore when they end up gone in a few months.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Finn's suggestion is a good one. But even thick glass might not be good for traveling, given its fragility. I can see chips and shards being found in your bag, the painful way. Maybe even a flat point being noticed on the 'blade' one day.
Finn, how long do you think it would take by scraping to get a piece of steel into a blade?

The glass knife needs a tough sheath that will not let shards get out. As for the scraping goes, probably about a week. I wouldn't do most of it by hand though, I'd make an attachment for my bike so the steel could drag against the ground, since most of the time I ride on pavement. I do have a dremel tool and diamond sharpener, so no reason to do the pavement technique, since it'll take only a few hours for me to shape a knife with electricity.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well, knowing how to sharpen stuff is a really useful skill. A crappy knife with a sharp edge is usually better than a nice knife with a dull blade.

On another note, I've lost a few good knives over the years, most due to police confiscation than anything else, but since I get them for free, it doesn't phase me too much. I still try to choose knives with a really good clip on them.

genghis braun

Reaction score
I stole one from wal-mart, but it's not really the kind I want (the kind where they have that switch that essentially makes it a switchblade). if I remember correctly, if I were to buy it, it would've been about $7 or something kinda cheap. for what it is, it's a decent knife

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads