any thoughts on this alice pack?

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Drunken Hearted Man

Reaction score
Alice packs are great, but a Large is going to be huge. I'd get a medium personally.

I think it also depends on whether it was made in the US or not, the overseas ones tend not to last as long. I've got a US made Medium and it's lasted a really long time. Got it used for $40 or so. Good investment.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
the frames are good if they are free from cracks,but the bag is a bit lightweight.Check and see if you can find the Swedish version of the ALICE.It has no outside pockets,much heavier nylon(rubberized on the inside),a great set of top and bottom straps,and can haul a lot of gear(main body is roughly 14x8x20).The frame is steel(can be brazed if it cracks),with a heavy OD enamel coating.Picked up one a couple weeks ago for $10 US over at the local flea market,and the damned thing still was wrapped up in storage paper!Can be found for the same money a surplus stores,gunshows,etc.
On another note,one of the folks from "back in my day"who was a woman swore that women wore internal frame packs better than external.Anyone heard anything about this,have an opinion?

Reactions: Mankini

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
thats basically what I have and I like mine. getting shit from army surp. is in my mind the best idea. everything I have for travel'n just about is surplus.
its durable and made for war like conditions, not to mention some of the best colors you can get! OD green is a wonderful color if you try and hide it or your self at all.

you can also pick up some ammo packs and clip'em to the out side of the bag, gives you more ways to carry small shit. even has a place fro a but pack & NBC bag.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
I have a quesiton to anyone who uses the frame.. Has anyone used bailing wire or a thick gage wire to wrap the frame and make a grill????

KoffinKat

Reaction score
I have an older version of the same thing. Up side is a plethera of space, longevity and yes color. The only thing I had to do was padd the straps a little more particularly the belt, that bastard chaffs! I used some bedroll straps to make the pack smaller when I wasn't using the extra space because yes they can become very cumbersome and tend to wobble on the frame which really starts to become a pain after a couple of miles.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
sometimes its a good idea to be a little leary about military surplus. remember its made by the lowest bidder! (murphys rules):)

not true.
the military has an re-donk-ously giant budget and thus the only time they pay poorly for anything its the soldiers paycheck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads