Photos Any other Dreadheads out there ?

NattyKiwi

Previously Steve James
Reaction score
Aloha!
Howzit guys ? I was looking for a thread about dreads and anything that has to do with them weather it be pictures, stories, or pros and cons about them while on the road.
Mine are about 2 months old now but the ocean has helped a ton.
So ill just post a pic of mine now days, and lets get this thread goin.
Mahalos!
IPTtM6E.jpg

Ak3kwS3.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Billy Cougar White

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I am not a dready kinda person and truly try to scrape the hairz every day to keep them under control BUT have had many people into my place surfing my couch with some interesting dreads. Yes my stuffy neighbors got experienced with green dreads on a half shaven girl with a ton of piercings and some most awesome ear gauges. :) Next up this Spring is a heavily tatted half head with dreads. He will be an awesome and most colorful couch surfer. :)

Cool post btw

Reactions: DumpsterfunkE

VanScribed Goat

Reaction score
I'm interested in maintenance of dreads on the road. I'll be starting mine soon and hitting the road next year

Sent from my iPhone using Squat the Planet Mobile

NattyKiwi

Previously Steve James
Reaction score
I am not a dready kinda person and truly try to scrape the hairz every day to keep them under control BUT have had many people into my place surfing my couch with some interesting dreads. Yes my stuffy neighbors got experienced with green dreads on a half shaven girl with a ton of piercings and some most awesome ear gauges. :) Next up this Spring is a heavily tatted half head with dreads. He will be an awesome and most colorful couch surfer. :)

Cool post btw

Thats sounds Awesome. It will be nice to have a couch one day to offer too. Its always interesting to hear how people started their dreads.

NattyKiwi

Previously Steve James
Reaction score
I'm interested in maintenance of dreads on the road. I'll be starting mine soon and hitting the road next year

Howzit RamblinSmokey ?

It honestly depends on how you wanna TRY to control your journey. Not that that's impossible at all, but they definitely do what they want and change all the time!
I used the Twist&Rip method then backcombed a little bit to push some knots up to condense the knots. Since then I haven't done anything to my hair. Just pull dreads apart from each other if they start to knot together. I usually wash 3 times a week, and swim/bodyboard in the ocean 3 times a week too. their gonna be 2 months old on Friday and are moving along quite fast. I can feel the difference week to week it seems.

*The one thing id decide on tho in the beginning would be if your gonna crochet your dreads when you first do them or not. This is only because the best thing to do after knotting your hair up is to leave it alone after that until close to half a year when they have had time to get more solid and less fragile. Ill prolly crochet mine around 6 months to pull in all the loose hair that doesn't knot by itself.

*But if you decide not to crochet your dreads from the beginning like me, then you just dread it with whatever method and let them go. Definitely Wash your hair at least a couple times a week! The less greasy your hair is the sooner more knots will form and lock up.

*They will look like shit in the beginning after a few showers and sleeping, or even car windows down on the freeway. But even the people with amazing dreadlocks you see around town all looked like shit at one point!! :)

Best Advise I Can Give That Somebody Told Me. "The easiest way to dread is to let it go. The hardest way to dread is to let it go"

Post up some pics when you do it brah!!

ThatGirl77

Reaction score
Just leave them alone. The ocean water helps. Mine started at the TN Rainbow Gathering. It was so dry and hot. My hair is super thick and curly and they just sort of happened. A friend pulled them apart and backcombed them, but pretty much otherwise they are all natural.

Reactions: todd

VanScribed Goat

Reaction score
Steve James: thanks dude! Yeah I can't decide which I want to do yet. I found a local person who has the look I really want with them so I will ask them which journey they chose. I'm ready to look like a nasty fool for a few months haha. It might be winter time again by the time my hair is grown long enough to start them which would be beneficial :p I'm almost to ponytail length again.

Thatgirl77: lucky hair to have! Mine is anti dread, it is super thin and soft, as well as anti tangle. The only time it has any tangle is soaking wet after roughing it up with chemicals in the shower.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads