Any of you travel without a sleeping bag? If so whats your alternative?

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
I haven't tried this one myself but I'm definitely thinking about it. That and a tarp, you can roll em all up together and strap it to your pack. With a bit of rope you can make a shelter with the tarp and then the rest to sleep in.

Reaction score
Depends upon what part of the country your in or traveling to. Obviously, in warmer climates you probably won't need even a blanket. Cardboard is a great ground insulator, it's lightweight, and you can even fold it up like a sleeping mat. Also, just a good ole wool blanket for cooler climates. Another trick, newspaper is another great insulator that you can acquire just about anywhere. If its cold out, layer it on top of you or ball them up and stuff them In between your layers to trap your body heat. ✌🏻❤️ @redbeard_the_rhymer

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
Interested in learning some alternative methods to getting sleep

Look up the "hot coal bed". I made one once in January in Harriman state park for two nights after reading how to make one in tom elpel's participating in nature

I did have sleeping bags as well to put on top but would not be comfortable without the hot coal bed.

I'm pretty sure i also spent the night in a pile of leaves packed into a small a-frame shelter made out of branches laid against a fallen tree or other leaning branch as part of a wilderness survival meritbadge. . .

And if you go someplace like Taiwan you'll just about never need a sleeping bag for 10 months of the year, just a bug net.

Nomad

Reaction score
I have used wool blankets and will tell you unless your shelter skills are up to par you will be miserable in cold weather. If your skills are good and you want to work hard daily building debris shelters and all night fires then that may be an option. Get a good sleeping bag you will be glad you did.

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The modern sleeping bag is truly an amazing thing. For the wight and bulk it is the most comfortable way Ive ever found to sleep outside in the cold. (I've also slept in brush shelters,under blankets, in hammocks and survival bivys) Most anything you get into that's not a sleeping bag is going to be regressing the current tec of a sleeping bag to something thats been used before. A bed roll or blanket both being good exsample. I like mummy style sleeping bags. But I love hammock style top quilts. No zippers. No wasted insulation. Comefortable to a wider tempiture range. Its the sleeping bag of blankets. Some of them you can even use as a jacket too.

Otter

Stateless Wanderer
Reaction score
I've been sleeping rough in BC over the last few weeks without a sleeping bag. I've been relying on making primitive shelters. In Salmon Arm, I had a tough time finding some pine trees for boughs, and ended up using cat tail stocks instead. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, although you have to make sure to criss-cross them or they'll kind of fan out as you move around in the night. I found that a thickness of about 4" was enough to insulate me from the snow underneath.

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
I've been sleeping rough in BC over the last few weeks without a sleeping bag. I've been relying on making primitive shelters. In Salmon Arm, I had a tough time finding some pine trees for boughs, and ended up using cat tail stocks instead. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, although you have to make sure to criss-cross them or they'll kind of fan out as you move around in the night. I found that a thickness of about 4" was enough to insulate me from the snow underneath.

Damn, man. I wish I was in the financial position I was last year; I’d send ya one. I’m a Floridian, haven’t technically left the Southern US, and can’t imagine the Canadian winters.
Stay safe, G.

Otter

Stateless Wanderer
Reaction score
@VeganBrianFL , it's all good, but thank you 🙂. I have two sleeping bags back in Oklahoma I just didn't bring one with me. I opted to take a fleece blanket instead. It worked ok down to the low 30s. As far as this trip goes, I wanted to travel light. Plus, I'm always up for practicing bushcrafting skills. There is a bit of a cold snap coming next week, but for the most part this winter has been surprisingly mild in this area. I'm staying with friends now, so I'm out of the cold, but I will have to hit the road again in a couple of weeks.

crabtrap

Reaction score

Late response I know, but how did you get it waterproof? Or was it not? I know BC is pretty rainy and whenever I've tried sleeping in primitive shelters I've needed to use something artificial to make it rainproof. Have had good luck with tarps and once a rubber mat I found in the woods by my spot. I've tried all kinds of stuff from interlocking pine boughs to chunks of sod and never had anything work quite like good old plastic or rubber.

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Groundscore

Reaction score
If a sleeping bag is too bulky, and it's not insanely cold, a simple lightweight fleece blanket is very useful, and cardboard can be found near almost any dumpster or behind stores for use as insulation from the ground and for providing basic padding.

A space blanket is cheap, very small and extremely lightweight, and they can be used a few times, but they are bright, noisy, and do get holes quickly. They also can cause you to sweat easily. They do make great additions though, so always keep one or two on hand, along with an inexpensive rain poncho. While you're at it, keep an extra pair of socks handy. Sleeping with dry feet is much nicer than sweaty socks.

While a little heavier than fleece, a wool blanket is even better, as it is much warmer and can retain warmth even when wet. However, don't get wet if at all possible. This is where planning ahead comes in VERY handy and can save your life. Nothing is more miserable that being cold and wet when trying to sleep, well add in hunger... Thankfully, with resources like you will find here, that shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: NamelessExistence

bote

Reaction score
I just had a funny thought. A sleeping bag is like a pair of pants, encasing your legs. A blanket is like wearing a belt with a piece of fabric that hangs down the front of your legs but nothing in the back.

Reaction score
Plenty of times…sometimes I just use my bag for a pillow and that’s it. Other times I haven’t had anything and I’ve totally regretted it. Cardboard is always good if you can find it. Use it to keep your body off the ground or if you can find something big enough to surround you, just climb in! Dumpsters with cardboard are always good too

Otter

Stateless Wanderer
Reaction score
I travelled for awhile without a sleeping bag, in warm, dry weather. I didn't sleep well and found no up side to it. Unless you pass out drunk every night or simply don't want to be comfortable, I'd say a sleeping bag is the way to go.

Crap, that was over a year ago now. 🤔

I was in the BC interior, and it was cold enough that it was snowing instead of raining. I had to put down some boughs to get myself up off of the snow. I was able to get enough sleep to function ok.

I think I had a tarp, and a small blanket. (As well as ski pants & jacket)

Otter

Stateless Wanderer
Reaction score
Late response I know, but how did you get it waterproof? Or was it not? I know BC is pretty rainy and whenever I've tried sleeping in primitive shelters I've needed to use something artificial to make it rainproof. Have had good luck with tarps and once a rubber mat I found in the woods by my spot. I've tried all kinds of stuff from interlocking pine boughs to chunks of sod and never had anything work quite like good old plastic or rubber.

Oops, I replied to the wrong post. The previous post was meant for you. 👆

Reactions: bote

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads