Any military veteran nomads out there?! | Squat the Planet

Any military veteran nomads out there?!

19delta

Reaction score
Hey there,

You know, between this incredible forum (props to you, Mr. Derrick), and the stuff I've been following over on r/vagabond, I think I need to cancel Netflix and Comcast once and for all. Your stories are so incredible.

I'm writing to find prior military nomads for a public media (NPR/BBC) project with an international footprint. I'm a public radio producer/reporter, currently working on a story concept for This American Life, as well as a new program in development, called The Listening Post. The latter is a military-related public radio show/podcast that is currently in development. Think a non-fiction version of The Muppet Show coupled with the delivery approach used by the BBC's Top Gear (whereby the program hosts become involved in new experiences themselves) and you're on the right track for the show's layout. I designed TLP for a non-military audience. It was meant to be highly entertaining but nevertheless informative and somewhat "hip" in delivery approach.

For a pilot episode of TLP, I've had interest to find post-9/11 military veterans who mobilized in a combat arms capacity, then discharged to seek a new adventure, thereby becoming a nomad (vagabond, etc.. all terms apply !). Based on my weeks reading this forum and the vagabond subreddit, there seems to be a corollary between the motivators that entice someone to enlist in the military post-9/11, and those that entice someone to hop a freight train or bounce about the world with refined "survivor skills" and oftentimes a small community that changes with each adventure. As a former mechanized infantry sergeant in the National Guard (11 years) who just discharged, ironically, a week ago, I have a feeling there are many similarities between the two environments. There's a lot of beauty to me in these similarities if they DO exist, and this story would bring those to life.

Anywho, if one of you might know of a post-9/11 military veteran-turned-nomad (or be one), or know of a someone like that on another online community, I sure would like to speak with them, confidentially, by phone. I'm based in Philadelphia and can be reached at storypitchinbox@gmail.com. I'll disclose my identity and write from my actual business e-mail account if the right profile of person lands in the inbox. Also, I'll check in on this thread regularly.

Thanks for your time. And, hey!, be safe out there, y'alls!

My best,
19Delta

Last edited:

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
Good luck on your quest, but what you may discover is that those of us that fit your profile kinda shun any public exposure.Part of why I and others who are similar, that I have spoken to, choose this lifestyle is to afford ourselves more solitude. However, I'm sure there are some out there who will talk. As I said, best of luck.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
hmmm I would not have rated your thread as funny btw.

There are a few here who I know are post military. I will contact two people who are and travel, they may answer but like someone above me chimed in ... we do get several people here asking for info - from students who want info for their term papers to documentary vids or newspaper interviews about the travels our members experience and it can be cumbersome. This however is a different angle and a good one. You may also get some suggestions from site owner and other mods as to the direction you might want to go.

:) Either way good luck and a good intro to span some interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: travelingjoe

19delta

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Tude. I have a notification that username "Jersey cat" tagged the post/thread as funny. No idea what their intent was with that. Matt, the site owner, and I have conversed by e-mail prior to my posting on here. I appreciate your support for the story concept, and program. I look forward to following the adventures of you and others who frequent STP.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Hey there,

You know, between this incredible forum (props to you, Mr. Derrick), and the stuff I've been following over on r/vagabond, I think I need to cancel Netflix and Comcast once and for all. Your stories are so incredible.

I'm writing to find prior military nomads for a public media (NPR/BBC) project with an international footprint. I'm a public radio producer/reporter, currently working on a story concept for This American Life, as well as a new program in development, called The Listening Post. The latter is a military-related public radio show/podcast that is currently in development. Think a non-fiction version of The Muppet Show coupled with the delivery approach used by the BBC's Top Gear (whereby the program hosts become involved in new experiences themselves) and you're on the right track for the show's layout. I designed TLP for a non-military audience. It was meant to be highly entertaining but nevertheless informative and somewhat "hip" in delivery approach.

For a pilot episode of TLP, I've had interest to find post-9/11 military veterans who mobilized in a combat arms capacity, then discharged to seek a new adventure, thereby becoming a nomad (vagabond, etc.. all terms apply !). Based on my weeks reading this forum and the vagabond subreddit, there seems to be a corollary between the motivators that entice someone to enlist in the military post-9/11, and those that entice someone to hop a freight train or bounce about the world with refined "survivor skills" and oftentimes a small community that changes with each adventure. As a former mechanized infantry sergeant in the National Guard (11 years) who just discharged, ironically, a week ago, I have a feeling there are many similarities between the two environments. There's a lot of beauty to me in these similarities if they DO exist, and this story would bring those to life.

Anywho, if one of you might know of a post-9/11 military veteran-turned-nomad (or be one), or know of a someone like that on another online community, I sure would like to speak with them, confidentially, by phone. I'm based in Philadelphia and can be reached at storypitchinbox@gmail.com. I'll disclose my identity and write from my actual business e-mail account if the right profile of person lands in the inbox. Also, I'll check in on this thread regularly.

Thanks for your time. And, hey!, be safe out there, y'alls!

My best,
19Delta

I too, ride...so maybe our paths will cross one day.

BE SAFE!!!

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
19d? :) yeah I'm out here and I have stories that'll make your hair curl. I'm the only person who has, in fact, gone to fiddlers green, shared a few drinks with the boyz, and then returned to tell about it.

• Sad
Reactions: travelingjoe

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hey man! Come check out Aspen. :) I'm an old 63W/14S/71M from 97-06.

I'm a disabled post 9-11 veteran. 11B, and spent years on Bradley's as a mechanized infantryman. I deployed to Iraq in 2010 and to Oman in 2011. I have been rubber tramping for about a year now. Not sure if too late but thought I'd reply.

Lefty

Reaction score
I've been out for a little over a year now, i served 2007- 2013. ... 88m, '09-'10 afghan vet. Traveling is one of the few things that match the intensity, need for change and camaraderie that i liked about the army.

Reactions: Mankini

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
veteran of of different war..

i enlisted in the early 60's..

still on active fucking duty.

hope my fucking balls die that way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads