Question - Any ideas for the cold winter | Squat the Planet

Question Any ideas for the cold winter

DirtWar

Reaction score
If you've never done that before, you're going to freeze. At least try to get to the metro north and get into NYC. At least here you can sleep in the subway, some of them never go above ground. NYC has really harsh winters so I can't imagine upstate being any nicer
Any ideas for the cold winter in upstate new York what things do I need for the winter any ideas to Survive the winter

Upstate can be absolutely brutal in the winter. If you’re around the greater Buffalo area, there’s very few stealthy sleep spots, and for whatever the reason, the bus stop huts don’t have heat lamps, but thanks to the complete collapse of industry along the rust belt, there is an abundance of massive abandoned grain silos (ie concrete central and cargills,) factories around the first ward (south side of Buffalo) where you could have a low key burn barrel and get out of the wind coming off of the lake.

Bibs

Reaction score
Any one know what type of gear to use for the cold it's kind of a dumb question

Wool. Lots of wool. Cotton base layer, wool outer layer and wool long johns if you can find em, and a water resistant or waterproof shell jacket of some kind. Upstate is frigid as hell dude good luck to you.

DirtWar

Reaction score
Wool. Lots of wool. Cotton base layer, wool outer layer and wool long johns if you can find em, and a water resistant or waterproof shell jacket of some kind. Upstate is frigid as hell dude good luck to you.

Spot on, simple yet life saving, merino wool long Johns would be your best, if you could find em at an affordable price (or liberate yourself a set from your local outdoor retail corporation). Insulated Carhartt bibs are great, but not waterproof , unless you oil/wax them , wool socks/glove liners/beanie,neck gaiter. I generally just wear a flannel with a zip hoodie and a ripstop rain shell, it allows me to remove layers if need be and not loose a major component of staying warm by taking one thing off.

• Agree
Reactions: Bibs

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
avoid cotton. If cotton gets wet its insulation properties go out the window. Wool will not do this.
Get layers. I usually roll with a synthetic skin tight base layer. Multiple pairs of long johns and tops. Then eithet a wool sweater, or my down poofy jacket. I also have a military issue rainshell. It’s designed with room to accomodate layers and fits over all of this. Besides that I have a fur russian style hat, A balaclava, good gloves. Water resistant pants and/or bibs. Ground insulation is a must. I’ll use dry brush or branches and cardboard if practicle, and 1-2 sleeping pads when not. I also have a 0 degree sleeping bag. You’ll want atleast a 10 degree.

These things are not cheap. And finding cheap alternatives is not easy, and most of what you will find is shit, and not trustworthy. Find a Good militart surplus store if you can.

But honestly, if your asking this question, concider going south. Theres so many little tricks and procedures I know from my experience in the winter that you will have to learn on the fly with possibly inadequate gear. Your going to have a terrible time unless you hussle up some good gear fast.

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
16$ isnt enough to buy a sleeping bag warm enough. Your going to have to make a judgement call based on what you have. A good hat or another warm layer for your torso might have the best results if you dont have those. What are you sleeping in now?

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
The temperature ratings on sleeping bags don't mean "snug as a bug in a rug" while you sleep in your underwear at that temperature. They mean simply "alive".

A 32°F rated bag will be miserable at that temperature if you don't layer up to to help. Also try adding more cardboard and maybe a cheap blanket underneath as insulation from the ground.

Or hell, a few cheap blankets might do the trick with your current setup, get in the bag and cover yourself with blankets. Sleep in your jacket if you have to.

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
So buy blankets that's smart thank you for that advice 👍🙏🙏

Try your damndest to find sleepspots out of the wind. A tarp will help with that as well.

Other than that try to get yourself some good thermal underwear and a sweater just like grandpa used to wear. Put on your longjohns with a shirt, sweater a hoodie or two and a jacket. Keep your eyes peeled too, if you can spange up some cash you can layer jackets as well. For example you're a large jacket and have those layers on go find a XXL jacket that will fit over yours if you're still cold. You can always ditch it in the spring.

That or head south for the winter. Hopefully the snow coming this weekend for Buffalo won't hit you too bad.

Good luck brother.

DirtWar

Reaction score
Try your damndest to find sleepspots out of the wind. A tarp will help with that as well.

Other than that try to get yourself some good thermal underwear and a sweater just like grandpa used to wear. Put on your longjohns with a shirt, sweater a hoodie or two and a jacket. Keep your eyes peeled too, if you can spange up some cash you can layer jackets as well. For example you're a large jacket and have those layers on go find a XXL jacket that will fit over yours if you're still cold. You can always ditch it in the spring.

That or head south for the winter. Hopefully the snow coming this weekend for Buffalo won't hit you too bad.

Good luck brother.
What should I buy at Walmart for 16 on a Walmart gift card need something like a sleeping bag something to keep me warm at night not working with A lot of money thanks

Emergency space blankets!! Luckily the snow storm up here doesn’t look to be heading toward you, Buffalo got hammered with snow these past few days, but.. yeah… space blankets, they’re relatively cheap, combined with some other of these good suggestions.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads