Any Advice "Australia"

Hannah Mckay

Reaction score
I have some advice for anyone coming down. Hitchhiking is normal here, not against the law. There is a shit ton of freedom here! I never want to see amurika again... I have been in Australia for almost 4 months. It is CRAZY expensive here... Backpackers have been given court appearance for dumpster diving. Does anyone have any advice about cutting costs here??? I think there are more backpackers than Aussies in this country. Minimum wages are $22, $23 an hour, but it is reflected in high prices for everything. The "greenback" is worth about 1 and 1/3 at any given time. Any one in OZ at the moment??????

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i don't believe they are there right now, but i do think @Koala has spent a decent amount of time there and is returning sometime soon, so they might have something to day about it.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Hey hey!

Where in Aus are you!? I lived in Melbourne for a year and hitched all around while I was there. Did lots of diving and never got more than just messed with by shop employees. Damn. You there on work & holiday? I'm coming back in December for a year+!

What's been your favorite spot for far?

Cutting costs.....if you're in Sydney or Melbs, eat and volunteer at Lentil as Anything (a pay as you feel veg buffet), if you're in Melbs I can link you with Food Not Bombs there...if you're in Perth, there's a pay as you feel Indian place down by the water in downtown. Also squatting in Melbs, Syd, and Adelaide is pretty known for being chill. I squatted in Melbourne for most of the time I was there.

Haha also @Matt Derrick is in Washington state, USA not Western Aus :p

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Squatting in Brissy is tricky, but diving is easy. Hadn't heard of anyone back home getting in strife for it until this post, subtley is the key just like anywhere else.

For food, keep an eye out for Food Not Bombs as well as any Govindas restraunts (the latter tend to give away any leftovers on closing). Check out the hobo kitchen section on here too, lots of tips on cheap eats!

Pretty sure Sydney still has a cost of living far higher than most other cities too.

Dunno your situation of course, but there's always a way to make it work.

If you're around Brisbane let me know, some mates of mine could help out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads