another should i buy this van thread - yellow dodge edition | Squat the Planet

another should i buy this van thread - yellow dodge edition

goatfloat6000

Reaction score
hey everyone, there are some really knowledgable folks posting on here, and i want to know what you think.
i've been living in my beater 85 chevy g20 for 8 months (street parking) and i'm looking for something fit for cross country travel.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5581595498.html

Dodge Ram 1500 on craigslist for $1000 with another $1000 quoted to repair one of the brakes and a "small crack in the frame" - it's under 90,000 miles though and this offer seems too good to pass up....

based on pics the interior looks in great shape and was all built out by this dude. i'm concerned about downsizing space-wise from my chevy - especially since i'm probably living and traveling in it long term - but it may be worth it gas wise with the v6. is this offer too good to pass up? judging from my craigslist prowling of the last couple weeks, i could be spending close to 2,000 on something much older with high mileage.

K

Kim Chee

It was a city vehicle.

The miles may be accurate, but they don't register all the time that thing was left running so the ac or heater could keep a government employeee comfy at taxpayer expense.

btw: the difference between a small crack in the frame and one the size of the grand canyon is exactly one pothole your tax dollars didn't fix.

goatfloat6000

Reaction score
trying to learn how to weigh out the importance of van year and mileage vs other factors for a van i want to travel in. prior to getting my current van, i knew precisely nothing about cars, and still know very little considering.

for example, here's a sweet looking diesel van but it has 200,000 miles. if i were to go check it out, i'd have no fucking clue what to look for aside from things that are apparent right away from looking at it. trying to learn by watching youtube, but who knows how that will translate when i'm actually checking out vans.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5545800645.html

goatfloat6000

Reaction score
yeah i feel like it's easier to find good deals on minivans because they're so prevalent, but i'm not sure about space constraints. alsoi might be shallow, but a minivan just leaves something to be desired aesthetically...

not totally ruling them out though. i think i will take my time. and hope my chevy doesn't fall apart soon

K

Kim Chee

yeah i feel like it's easier to find good deals on minivans because they're so prevalent, but i'm not sure about space constraints. alsoi might be shallow, but a minivan just leaves something to be desired aesthetically...

not totally ruling them out though. i think i will take my time. and hope my chevy doesn't fall apart soon

Reliability and low operating cost -vs- spaciousness and low initial cost
^decisions, decisions.

I think you'll have no trouble finding something suitable considering the availability in your area:)

goatfloat6000

Reaction score
didn't end up going to check it out. someone else was able to get there earlier and he called me saying he had an interested buyer, at which point i made other plans. then he left a message saying the other dude had his mechanic check it out and offered a low price because of the cost of repairing the power steering leaks, and the buyer didn't accept.

i kind of just gave up because i'd also be offering low. didn't seem worth the drive up there.

goatfloat6000

Reaction score
What was the estimate to fix the power steering?

he ALMOST said on his message, but didn't. i assume it was a good chunk since the other buyer backed out but you never know.

made me think more about my situation and now isn't the best time for me to be buying anyhow. trying to redirect my enthusiasm on things that need more immediate attention in my life.

Haystack

Reaction score
Ah okay. I only ask because it looks like a pretty clean van and it's close to me. I'll research the power steering thing and see if it's even worth picking up if I can talk him way down.

Haystack

Reaction score
Looks like a whole new power steering pumps $150 bucks. I wonder if there's other things wrong with it other than that..

Edit: Talked to the guy, he was very upfront about what is wrong with the van.
1. Power steering fluid is leaking at pump.
2. Leaking at steering gear box.
3. Needs alignment. "Right front tire wearing abnormally".
4. Temp gauge stays on cold. Needs sending unit replaced.

Debating if I want to even bother low balling him or not. If I could get it under $1500 it might be worth it as I can do the work myself.

Last edited:

goatfloat6000

Reaction score
Looks like a whole new power steering pumps $150 bucks. I wonder if there's other things wrong with it other than that..

Edit: Talked to the guy, he was very upfront about what is wrong with the van.
1. Power steering fluid is leaking at pump.
2. Leaking at steering gear box.
3. Needs alignment. "Right front tire wearing abnormally".
4. Temp gauge stays on cold. Needs sending unit replaced.

Debating if I want to even bother low balling him or not. If I could get it under $1500 it might be worth it as I can do the work myself.

no harm in trying - the first guy did. he'll either just hold onto it or give in to expedite the process

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads