Another Newb

thewesternlands

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am planning on hitting the road soon, for the first time. I am a college dropout currently located in Chicago, and, like some other intros I've seen on here, I have run out of options, am sick of failure. I am hoping that here I can meet people on the road as well as receive good advice from those of you who are more experienced.

Thanks for having me!

AaronOnTheRoad

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I am planning on riding freight. I have no gear at the moment, and in fact that was going to be my next question. What should I take with me and what gear would you recommend specifically?
Check out the gear sections on the fourm. Make sure to read and check out the train hopping sections. I would also recommend finding a road dog before train hopping. You need to let someone teach you first.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I agree with @AaronOnTheRoad , if you're gonna be hopping freight, it's best to find someone who can show you the ropes in person.

Freight hopping was very favorite method of travel at one point.

I gave it up a few years back when I adopted a gigantic doggo, and even though I miss hopping trains, I don't regret it for a second!

Gear is important. Do a little research, and then come up with the best gear you can get. My personal advice is to always carry at least a basic first aid kit, which you can get at any Walmart/CVS/Walgreens, or any "outdoors" type store.

If possible, you should hit up the Dirty Scouts Jamboree in October, being hosted in Slab City. A lot of us will be there, including myself.

Welcome to StP, and Safe Travels!

Reactions: Will Wood

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
@thewesternlands I grew up in the south suburbs, Palos Heights. I had an apartment in Logan Square for a minute and now I just kind of crash all over the place when I visit.

Getting out of there is tough as shit. Especially if you're wanting to go by freight. I'd recommend hitching but either way your going to want to take public transit as far away from the downtown area as possible.

Good luck to you, lemme know if you need anything.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads