Alice packs: Medium vs. Large

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Let's have a disscussion/debate about alice packs. Which do you perfer, medium or large alice pack? I think I'm gonna go with a large but I'd like to hear you guys' opinoins.

K

Kim Chee

Let forth the Alice pack hate!

The mediums are pretty small for their name, but do the job if you don't have too much gear.
The large packs mostly went to infantry units and most were well used. It isn't nearly as common to find a large in nice shape as it is a medium. Aside from size, I think they are pretty much identical.

Quiz: why don't you hear very much (or anything) about small alice packs?

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Small alice packs are to small. 20 liters is what I heard but I think that's a little low. If you want to talk about small alice packs be my guest.

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
I recently got a MOLLE pack and i fuckin love it. It's pretty fuckin bit an' bulky but the weight sits all on my hips. When I had my large alice pack it was cumbersome as fuck.

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
I love ALICE packs but I have never needed the large. depends on what yer doing with this pack but i find the large to be bulky and uncomfortable, also when you are given that much space you want to fill it and then you start hoarding and it weighs you down. I would suggest that you attatch molle straps and hip belt just because after a while the alice stuff can get pretty uncomfortable and fuck up yer back. another reason i prefer the medium is that all the external pockets have that back space for sliding things into while on the large that is only the two side pockets.

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
I thought the large had three big pockets and three small ones where as the medium just has the three big pockets...

anyway, how easy is it to attach a sleeping bag and pad to the frame with a large? It must be easier with a medium right?

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
if you are attatching your sleep stuff directly to the frame there isnt actually that big a difference. on the large there are also those three magasene pouches (great for teeth stuff and flashlights) but there is webbing there on the medium for you to attatch pouches (this is not on the large)

Last edited:
Reactions: SnakeOilWilly

intoxnito

Reaction score
ive never had an alice pack&ive been living outta a backpack since i was 14.i recently got a molle pack,tho its obviously more comfy,i really just think its to big&keep catching myself loading shit i dont need.havent put it to the test yet but im concerned its just gonna be a burden i dont wanna deal with...if i could stand the smell of myself,id rather wander with just a change of clothes&a toothbrush,but i figure if i get crazy looks from ppl now theyd definatly be looking crazy then.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads