Alice medium pack

skyedreamer

dumpster diving whiskey drinkin dyke
Reaction score
Website
skyedreamerphotography.weebly.com
I've owned one before. It did it's job fairly well. Roomwise, it all really depends on what u pack, size of gear items, etc. When I was younger I didn't have as much gear, but after I started doing photography/film making I learned that the extra weight was sometimes a pain in the ass but worth it. Know exactly what you will be packing in order to know if this is the right pack for you. And sometimes spending a lil extra on stuff pays off in the long run.

railroadron

Reaction score
I've owned one before. It did it's job fairly well. Roomwise, it all really depends on what u pack, size of gear items, etc. When I was younger I didn't have as much gear, but after I started doing photography/film making I learned that the extra weight was sometimes a pain in the ass but worth it. Know exactly what you will be packing in order to know if this is the right pack for you. And sometimes spending a lil extra on stuff pays off in the long run.

I ll agree. Keep in mind the fall and winter season which require more gear..but that also depends on the geographical areas you plan to travel. Are you a part time traveler or full-time? I personally am a die hard and carry Large packs (External Frame only) because in edition to the large carrying capacity, theres a place to secure your bedroll under the pack.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047G5WGK/

this is what I prefer because I ll be riding full time this fall and winter..also check out ebay here
http://www.ebay.com/sch/External-Fr...l?rt=nc&_pppn=r1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=225

Reactions: skyedreamer
D

Deleted member 125

theres gotta be half a dozen threads on alice packs, alot of people find them to be back breakers. have you ever had a external frame before? my only real problem with most external frames is that they lack the sternum belt piece jammer thing, and they hurt my back. but alice packs are durable and can be bought cheaply. plus youll get some scumfuck points if you wipe yer ass all over it.

D

Deleted member 5971

I ll agree. Keep in mind the fall and winter season which require more gear..but that also depends on the geographical areas you plan to travel. Are you a part time traveler or full-time? I personally am a die hard and carry Large packs (External Frame only) because in edition to the large carrying capacity, theres a place to secure your bedroll under the pack.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047G5WGK/

this is what I prefer because I ll be riding full time this fall and winter..also check out ebay here
http://www.ebay.com/sch/External-Fr...l?rt=nc&_pppn=r1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=225
i like the big bags and all but i want more mobility with the bag i get, if i need to run from something i dont want a huge pack weighing me down and shit.

M

Monkeywrench

Anytime someone asks about the Alice pack the only complaint I got is "good luck keeping it dry".

That can be solved. Sometimes. They make all kinds of waterproofing spray you can use, but I don't know anyone who actually has and bragged about it.

They're durable. They're cheap. They take years of abuse. You can (and probably will) throw them off moving trains. They double as chairs (but do it the right way or you'll bend the frame, you'll figure it out).

Room is a problem for some people. Whatever. Make do. Use some rope or bungee cord to strap extra shit on.

Other people don't find them comfortable, and there's minimal padding on the lower back, but this is also fixable with some ingenuity.

All the parts are replaceable and fixable at any A/N store.

Used one for two years straight, worth every penny.

Noble Savage

Reaction score
I love my Alice...I am writing a book called "Alice in Wander-land" which follows an Alice Packs bloody beginning in the Vietnam War through various owners to present day...right now its 1977 and its being used by Billy Guff a roadie for the Allman Brothers Band (I was 13 in 77 and shook hands with Gregg Allman...he asked if we had any coke...and not the drink).

"We're sorry: We are currently out of stock on this item"...Looks like you bought the last one

K

kokomojoe

I love my Alice...I am writing a book called "Alice in Wander-land" which follows an Alice Packs bloody beginning in the Vietnam War through various owners to present day...right now its 1977 and its being used by Billy Guff a roadie for the Allman Brothers Band (I was 13 in 77 and shook hands with Gregg Allman...he asked if we had any coke...and not the drink).

"We're sorry: We are currently out of stock on this item"...Looks like you bought the last one
That actually sounds like it'd be a kick ass book.

travelin

Reaction score
love the book idea.

ive had so many alice packs through the years, bought to use and bought simply to patch up and sell and ive often wondered at their stories.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Ehh im about to retire my old alice/molle pack.Id highly recommend the upgraded straps on ebay and the kidney pad.You can get the whole mod with the carrier system for $40 shipped.Granted those mods will cost more then your pack but it'll make it a awesome and comfortable system.

The other thing to consider is the new MARPAT ILBE system used by marines alot of these are hitting ebay used for $90 and they ran $200-$300 new and are made in the US unlike REI and other brands.Good enough for the marines better then anything i can throw at it.

They were designed to carry 120 lbs comfortably.I am surprised kids aren't jumping on these.

travelin

Reaction score
i completely agree with the newer style straps and the bigger waist pad. go look at my albums in my profile for a serious aice conversion to molle frame. i tried out both medium and large aice pack on the frame and both worked pretty well though the large i would want to do some modification to the pack for better atachment points.

sorry im too stupid to figure out how to post the pic right here.

Mongo

Reaction score
The other thing to consider is the new MARPAT ILBE system used by marines alot of these are hitting ebay used for $90 and they ran $200-$300 new and are made in the US unlike REI and other brands.Good enough for the marines better then anything i can throw at it.

They were designed to carry 120 lbs comfortably.I am surprised kids aren't jumping on these.

damn I think these are just unheard of on the streets that's why I'm guessing they are not being jumped on.

I wish I would have known about em before I got my last pack 6 months ago.

looked around seems like they are cheaper on amazon.

travelin

Reaction score
the marine surplus stuff is just hitting ebay at reasonable prices this last few months. they were always kind of low-key and there were hardly any of them in the civilian market till recently.

they are made by arc'teryx and are extremely good quality pieces of gear.

Reactions: Mankini

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Yeah its what im looking to get next.

But i gotta say the old medium alice with the upgrades has been very kind to me.And has carried more weight then i could care to bare and stood all the abuse i have thrown at it for 8 months.Pretty fun considering its such a old school pack.

One thing ill miss is the external pockets.And one thing i wont miss is how that damn pack adsorbs water like a sponge it seems lol.

Can't wait to get my mits on one of those new ILBE for sure.That'll be my 1st internal pack and it seems to be bomb proof compared to the MOLLE crap.

Should be interesting none the less ill always have the old alice in storage if need be.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I just spent $51 on a medium ALICE pack w/frame and straps in good condition. I feel like I just got ripped the fuck off; thoughts?

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
depends if ya go it at a surplus store then thats fairy normal.Id suggest getting the upgrades as nowadays ya can snag em under $40 but they are worth investing into.

That old alice served me well for near 2 yrs.Have molle rifleman basic with the 4th gen frame and pads seems like a winner and fits my 6'4 frame beter then the alice.

overall ya did alright.Those old alice packs are very dependable.

I just gave this alice to Zim just waiting on it to show up at Tudes place in NY.

have any questions drop me a pm.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
depends if ya go it at a surplus store then thats fairy normal.Id suggest getting the upgrades as nowadays ya can snag em under $40 but they are worth investing into.

That old alice served me well for near 2 yrs.Have molle rifleman basic with the 4th gen frame and pads seems like a winner and fits my 6'4 frame beter then the alice.

overall ya did alright.Those old alice packs are very dependable.

I just gave this alice to Zim just waiting on it to show up at Tudes place in NY.

have any questions drop me a pm.

6Foszuc.jpg

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads