Albany, OR

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
I camped in Albany for close to a week. The city is pretty dull but in the downtown area, I found close to 50 hot meals a week within a mile or two from where I slept, specifically:

- Helping Hands Mission:
Breakfast, lunch, dinner served every day
Hot showers at 1pm every day
Plenty of other services (pretty sure those were reserved for folks staying in the shelters)
Day Center open when weather is too hot or too cold

- Signs of Victory
Breakfast, lunch, dinner served every day (couple of exceptions when there is church)
They offered me a bed, but I opted out

- St Mary's
Huge feed Mon/Wed/Fri - 4:45pm
Lots of food to walk away with

-First Christian
Table service once a week. I think it's Wed eve

- Several other feeds held weekly at other churches and in Montieth Park. You'll see all the same folks at all of these, so just ask around.

- As far the bus line they call "The Loop": This runs back and forth to Corvallis, leaving from Albany Amtrak station. It was either $1 or $1.50 each way.
Corvallis has services, but not as many or as often as Albany. So, when I spent a week there in the park, it was worthwhile on some nights to bus back for the St Mary's dinner, eat like a king, grab bags of groceries, camp there(bus was done for the night), and bus back to the Corv in the morning with a few days worth of food.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Camping in Albany can be tricky. There are signs heavily posted warning of the consequences. This is true along the riverfront, along the freeway, and in all parks. There is a strong police presence at the river. I saw folks camping in all these places, complaining at the feeds about the harassment, citations, etc.

You're best off crossing the bridge to the park. After dropping into the parking lot, by the restrooms, head toward the river and follow the disc golf trails. You'll find a few routes to the riverside. Stayed there for 6-7 nights with zero issues. Since it's a different county, the enforcement might differ.

There's even a gas station on that side, if you need supplies. Be prepared for muchos mosquitos, depending on the time of year. Also, don't count on the bathrooms being open on any logical schedule.

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads