Ahoy! Salutations from Oakland. | Squat the Planet

Ahoy! Salutations from Oakland.

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
I've been posting on here long enough, but haven't bothered to informally introduce myself.

I'm Nick. I make stuff. I do things. I get places.

For the last few years, I've divided the bulk of my traveling time primarily up and down the west coast, frequently in between Portland and the Bay Area. The typical circuit....blah blah blah... anarchism and freight trains...

But I've made the rational decision to spend this winter off the road, work on some engineering projects, and gear myself properly for the coming seasons, and hopefully get my ass off this damn continent, or at least off the grid.
I've currently found myself living and working in Oakland, trying to make heads or tails of this urban war zone.
Don't know all that many folks here - so somebody tell me what's good!

uncivilize

Reaction score
so somebody tell me what's good!

Not Oakland.

Nah, there's some good shit going on there. Merritt College is the only college I know of that offers a permaculture design certificate, that would definitely be worthwhile. There is alot of food justice, community garden, urban farming/homesteading type stuff going on. There are a bunch of kids squatting in West Oakland. You might run into a few folks at the Long Haul in Berkeley. I usually just get drunk and eat Little Ceaser's pizza while watching trains at the skate park behind what is now a Target. One of the bulls that runs Desert yard is a real piece of shit, taller guy, cop 'stache. My most fond memories of Oakland are taco trucks, any one you see is a safe bet, though there are definitely some jewels to be found.

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
I've found the little caesar's dumpster, seen long haul (eh....), and toured more than a few of the taco trucks. Nothing incredible by my standards, but decent mexican food nonetheless.
Oddly enough, I've met that Bull about a year back. Was really lucky to walk away without handcuffs that night... He was a prick, but none too sharp.
I hear wasteland skatepark got bulldozed back in October?
I've met a few squatters here in west oakland. Some folks are holdin' it down pretty well it seems, but I haven't had much luck cracking a viable long-term squat. Pigs seem to be on their a-game as of late....

daveycrockett

Reaction score
i want to go to metal shows, im in ny theres always something here but different by you, definitely. manhattan and brooklyn gots metal squattin in the city, ha you better have a gun

Reactions: Fungus

daveycrockett

Reaction score
no man us metalheads are pretty fuckin cool, but when you try to take over aspot say where it got raided or whatever its..dude there are 8 million people in manhattan alone do you know how small of an islan d manhattan is.... oh are you just jokin around

daveycrockett

Reaction score
cool, people who havent been here think the worst, but seriuosly i went to a friends in the pj's it got raided when i knocked on the door dude i didnt know was squattin but with a gun in my face, last week

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads