Ahoy from the Puget Sound! | Squat the Planet

Ahoy from the Puget Sound!

Durp

Reaction score
How is it going my fellow scallywags? It seems like ages since I last was able to sit down and access the iterwebs! I have been living aboard my 1971 Columbia 26 MKii with my lady and dog for 3 months now, and have learned more then I thought possible. Living aboard is great, but a boat is nothing more then a hole in the water, that if you keep dumping the proper amount of money in to, floats. Below are my thoughts and opinions. Nothing more, nothing less.

Living aboard is awesome, especially when the weather is nice. When you are pinned sideways by over 100 mph wind gusts, pounding rain, and all of a sudden the bilge pump stops working, life becomes slightly less fun, but a lot more chaotic and interesting. I like it :) Boats always need work. If you are lazy and don't want to do any work, don't own a boat.

Sailing is actually not all that hard, if you have no idea like I did at first, you better be quick witted or you will crash into something. I finally felt comfortable on my own sailing after the 5th or 6th time out alone.

$$$$$$$$ Be prepared to dump all your cheddar into it, and maybe even get a job for a while to help cover maintenance and repair costs.

Fiber glass is fantastic medium to work in, just use a respirator and I like the disposable plastic onesy things or you will itch for a month.

Something will break at the worst possible time, so have repair supplies and tools available at all times.

having an anchor rope snap in the middle of the night during a storm is scary. Try not to shit your self when stuff goes wrong, or there really is a chance of death.

Out board engines suck. I hate them. If you can afford it buy a new 4 stroke. the 2 strokes are finicky and tend to need an adjustment right when you need it the most. I am looking into electric motors and 4 strokes.

Bermudian sloop rigs are highly over rated. I have one, and don't like it. Too many parts, too much high tech crap. Only sails well to windward. I much prefer the cutter. I will be converting to a cambered junk sail once I have the scratch.

Do a lot of research into the hull design of your boat. If you just want to go up streams and rivers this matters less then if you want to go around the world.

Be prepared to stuff to break, get jammed, and generally try and kill you.

look into drouges.

That's it for now, if you have questions msg me.

P.S. IDK about you, but I CAN NOT drink more then 1 beer and sleep on the boat. I don't get seasick, but trying to sleep after 2 beers or more on the water is 16 hours of suffering and projectile vomiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: MolotovMocktail

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Awesome info there sir! And sorry about the vomit. I cannot handle rough water and of course when I'm out there I've got a drink in hand and eventually lose it. brr. And that has always been my problem, maid of the mist, friends salmon excursion .... stick to ice tea. :)

Thanks for the update! Keep it going - great reads and good luck!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads