Ah, I've finally found you.

Mack

Reaction score
Greetings, StP.

I'm Mack, a marketing student born and raised in what they call West Virginia's Chemical Valley. I have a taste for urban exploration, cheap and spontaneous road trips, hoarding new experiences, eastern spirituality, and art in all forms. While I'm not yet a seasoned traveler, I've recently been experiencing an increasing amount of cognitive dissonance about societal norms and nuances. It makes less sense with every passing day, and after loads of research, traveling freely and off the grid has become my solution. It's fantastic to find that there's a community which supports this kind of lifestyle. It's wonderful to meet all of you, learn of your stories, and receive insight before I begin my own travels!

To begin, what destinations in the United States would you recommend for groups of 2-4?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Cool - welcome aboard. What have you you found in in your urban exploration? i LOVE the stuff and when I travel I look for this stuff. :) Have fun traveling!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey, who are you traveling with? I would recommend checking out atlasobscura.com and roadtrippers.com you'll find some interesting stuff there...

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Welcome!

What a nice introduction!

I too have a love of Eastern philosophy (I'm a Taoist) and a Yogini and offer free meditation.

So, if you have Google Hangouts, and are ever interested, let me know.

Best of luck in your travels and stay safe!

janktoaster

Reaction score
Well what are your interests? What do you wanna see? There's so much to do an see in this country...

Reaction score
Been to WV once for my grandma's funeral. It's a weird place. I would say that it is a convenient location for travelling, because you're surrounded by awesome states with cool man made and natural attractions. Good luck and be safe!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Welcome to Squat the Planet! I've never been to West Virginia but I've got a friend in Charleston who I'll probably be visiting some time in the next few months. Sounds like you've got the city scouted out pretty well so maybe you can point me towards a place to camp while I'm there?

Mack

Reaction score
Hey, who are you traveling with? I would recommend checking out atlasobscura.com and roadtrippers.com you'll find some interesting stuff there...

Friends my age, one of which has done this kind of thing forever. Thanks for the resources. I’ll definitely check them out!

Welcome!

What a nice introduction!

I too have a love of Eastern philosophy (I'm a Taoist) and a Yogini and offer free meditation.

So, if you have Google Hangouts, and are ever interested, let me know.

Best of luck in your travels and stay safe!

Nice. Taoism is the bomb. And I might take you up on that offer, once I’m disciplined enough to start taking meditation more seriously. I’m still pretty bad at it and therefore don’t practice as much as one should. Much appreciated, and thank you!

People do the CA 1 thing in groups or alone.. Hitchhiking or buses or just walking.

CA 1?

Been to WV once for my grandma's funeral. It's a weird place. I would say that it is a convenient location for travelling, because you're surrounded by awesome states with cool man made and natural attractions. Good luck and be safe!

Where at in West Virginia? And you’re right about it being conveniently placed! Plus whenever you have travel fatigue, you get to come back to (mostly) friendly people and a cheap cost of living. Not a bad gig, if you ignore the technological and social stagnation and the inevitably doomed economy. :p

Welcome to Squat the Planet! I've never been to West Virginia but I've got a friend in Charleston who I'll probably be visiting some time in the next few months. Sounds like you've got the city scouted out pretty well so maybe you can point me towards a place to camp while I'm there?

Thanks, friend! And cool, I grew up in Charleston! Most of my exploration has taken place in Huntington because my parents aren’t there to breathe down my neck, but I have a few places in mind, depending on what exactly you’re looking for! We can start a Conversation and talk more about it. :)

Mack

Reaction score
The highways... Along the coast.. Didn't specify

OH, okay! I just looked up the route and it seems beautiful.
Well what are your interests? What do you wanna see? There's so much to do an see in this country...

Anything and everything. Mostly meet the kind of people I never get to be exposed to in my home state. So the budget is low and the expectations are nonexistent haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The Marin Headlands area is very cool. Muir Woods, and other cool things in Marin County. Also from there the route to Oregon is extremely beautiful. Yosemite, Big Sur, Sonoma and Calaveras County are nice; Humboldt is nice. I worked near the Greenbrier last summer. Frikkin Greenbrier is intense.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads